Z68 Socket 1155 Compatible?

vbimport

I am at my wits end. I read all articles about the new Ivy Bridge, some say it will be compatible with the socket 1155 boards that we have now, some say you will new another board. I dont know what to believe, does anyone for sure what is happening?:confused:

What I do know for sure is Asus, Gigabyte, and Asrock claim their existing Z68/P67 boards will all be able to run Ivy Bridge, although they will require a UEFI update.

Only Z68/P67 boards marked as “PCIe Gen3” are guaranteed to be able to run at full speed (PCIe3). Some older boards may run at full speed, some may not.

When I buy Ivy Bridge, I will also be buying a Z77 board anyway (most likely another Asrock), and my existing Z68 with i7 2600K will be used in PC 2. I won’t be selling the Sandy Bridge system I have, as i’m very impressed by this processor.

[QUOTE=Dee;2616547]What I do know for sure is Asus, Gigabyte, and Asrock claim their existing Z68/P67 boards will all be able to run Ivy Bridge, although they will require a UEFI update.

Only Z68/P67 boards marked as “PCIe Gen3” are guaranteed to be able to run at full speed (PCIe3). Some older boards may run at full speed, some may not.

When I buy Ivy Bridge, I will also be buying a Z77 board anyway (most likely another Asrock), and my existing Z68 with i7 2600K will be used in PC 2. I won’t be selling the Sandy Bridge system I have, as i’m very impressed by this processor.[/QUOTE]
I have 2 Sandy Bridge Processors , the 2600K and the 2700K, and 2 Z68 motherboards, the Gen3 Fatality Pro Z68 and the other is the same as yours the Z68 Asrock Extreme 4. As you know both are socket 1155, what I want to know will I be able to use the Ivy Bridge Processor 1 or both of these?

The small incremental upgrade in speeds are NOT worth the $$ right now… skip a few generations, unless you have some unsuspecting schmo you can sell your equipment to…

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2616618]The small incremental upgrade in speeds are NOT worth the $$ right now… skip a few generations, unless you have some unsuspecting schmo you can sell your equipment to…[/QUOTE]
Did you say unsuspecting schmo? Anyone who buys one of my builds, gets the best build available for a very fair price, I do not sell my builds on this site nor do I sell any hardware to people on this site. I have a very good store in my area that takes my build on consignment, they sell in less than a week and I have never had a complaint. So take your unsuspecting schmo tell him to go elsewhere.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2616618]The small incremental upgrade in speeds are NOT worth the $$ right now… skip a few generations, unless you have some unsuspecting schmo you can sell your equipment to…[/QUOTE]

You clearly are not involved in video production or other activities that would give you a need for the kind of processing muscle that one of Alan’s builds provides. It may be hard to see from your perspective, but this kind of machine can pay for itself easily in productivity if your profession utilizes software that benefits from it’s speed. And while you’re fixated on speed(and money;)), you’ve missed the fact that Ivy may well be a very welcome and justifiable upgrade for the extra graphics processing power it brings to the table for those that can use it.

Broaden your thinking a bit. You’ll see that your “unsuspecting schmo” is actually one lucky b@stard.

And think twice before you flippantly belittle a build done by someone that invests as much time and research as Alan does:cop:.

Speaking of which, what did you say was the address of that store, Alan?:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2616650]You clearly are not involved in video production or other activities that would give you a need for the kind of processing muscle that one of Alan’s builds provides. It may be hard to see from your perspective, but this kind of machine can pay for itself easily in productivity if your profession utilizes software that benefits from it’s speed. And while you’re fixated on speed(and money;)), you’ve missed the fact that Ivy may well be a very welcome and justifiable upgrade for the extra graphics processing power it brings to the table for those that can use it.

Broaden your thinking a bit. You’ll see that your “unsuspecting schmo” is actually one lucky b@stard.

And think twice before you flippantly belittle a build done by someone that invests as much time and research as Alan does:cop:.

Speaking of which, what did you say was the address of that store, Alan?:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Thank you deanwitty. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. What you said is true. I am always still learning but when I finish a build it has alot of love and TLC attached to it. :wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2616696]Thank you deanwitty. I wish you a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. What you said is true. I am always still learning but when I finish a build it has alot of love and TLC attached to it. ;)[/QUOTE]

Happy holidays to you, too. I hope Santa’s sleigh stopped by newegg on its way to your house as well as mine :).

I approach my builds the same way for many years now. I had to step in and put my foot down when I saw that post ;).