Youth still buys and rents DVD

vbimport

I just posted the article Youth still buys and rents DVD.

Although we see an increase of broadband users and growing popularity of online video, we can conclude that the vast majority of youths still rent and buy DVDs. An online poll from Knowledge Networks…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14824-Youth-still-buys-and-rents-DVD.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14824-Youth-still-buys-and-rents-DVD.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Actually 80% of the people download and burn their movies from P2P or a torrent according to the cdreaks polls last month.

@ Random Guy Which, probably, speaks about the type of people who visit or, at least, vote on cdfreaks’ polls… :wink:

cough…cough…usenet :B

Why is black or white? I buy blurays (used to buy dvds) and i also download. So I do both… because it’d be physically impossible to buy everything. I’m guessing alot of other people do that, buy ones they really like, download other ones.

I hardly buy any DVDs anymore. I download. However, I don’t think they lost anything because even if I hadn’t downloaded the movie, I still wouldn’t have bought it.

quoting Duke Nukem: “I hardly buy any DVDs anymore. I download. However, I don’t think they lost anything because even if I hadn’t downloaded the movie, I still wouldn’t have bought it.” Indeed. The whole industry doesn’t quite understand that just because you download it, doesn’t mean the loss of a sale as you would not pay for it (usually ‘again’ anyway!). It’s been said multiple times on this site, but people will NOT re-buy their collections yet again in hi-def format, it’s just NOT going to happen. The types of movies that benefit most from HD are sci-fi - nobody can honestly watch a comedy and think ‘wow, look at these jokes coming to me in HI-DEF, I’d better laugh even HARDER’ !!

@ Vic_M “It’s been said multiple times on this site, but people will NOT re-buy their collections yet again in hi-def format, it’s just NOT going to happen.” Well, here’s the rub. When I went from VHS to DVD I [I]did[/I] re-buy my collection. I consider DVD to be hi-def to VHS. However, I won’t re-buy going from DVD to Blu-ray. In fact, I will avoid Blu-ray until the next format. It’s the same as people waiting to go from Windows XP to Windows 7, skipping Vista entirely. It’s perceived value for your money. Why get Blu-ray when a good upsampling DVD player can get you close enough? Some of us have [I]hundreds[/I] of DVD movies, and re-buying them in Blu-ray just isn’t an option.
This message was edited at: 07-07-2008 20:11

I’ve repurchased a few of my favorites on bluray, but for the most part my bluray collection are new releases from the past year, or discs i never got around to buying on dvd. I’m not going to keep buying dvd, so through attrition I’m guessing my bluray collection will get better than dvd.