Your opion on these TV brands please

I am about to receive my Tax return check and will be doing a physical review looking at TV’s. I have not really decided on LCD or Plasma just yet. However I am looking at these models and want your opinions on them. I am looking at getting at the minimum size a 42". The current brands looking into so far are the following: Vizio, Panosonic, LG, Samsung, Sharp Aquos. Keep in mind I want the best bang for the buck and prefer even after taxes on the TV that I really don’t exceed 1500.00 USD.

Here is one I saw and liked as the best bang for the buck : http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11331984&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

Factors to consider is the amount of money I have to spend I am not a guru on detail as I nor my wife have 20/20 vision. Anything at that price with the link posted or less but not under a 42" opinions would be great. LCD wise I would want to get a 120htz TV.

This TV will be in a room about the size of 10x12 and semi to high lighting from one window.

Panasonic plasma 50" about $1450, with tax it will be over your budget. Otherwise the 46" Panasonic plasma should fit your bill and your 10x12 room. I don’t see the 46" at costco online, they might have it in your local store. Check the Samsung plasma too.

This isn’t to bad either and at 480 htz not bad.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8732838&st=Televisions&lp=3&type=product&cp=1&id=1202650462402

I talked to a buddy of mine and he says these are great and they too are 480 hrtz as well. One is at BB the other at sears but they are the same model. 1199.99 for a 46" Plasma.

1199.99 so this is cheaper than the one at best buy .

Sears

Panasonic 46 in. (Diagonal) Class Plasma Full HD (1080p) Television, VIERA - Model TH-46PZ80U at Sears.com

Best Buy

Panasonic - 46" 1080p Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV - TH-46PZ80U

Well after shopping around today we decided to get either this : http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8734177&type=product&id=1201307760028 for 989.99

or the 50" model same brand and a plasma too for 1199.99 both with a 4 year warranty too.

So now I must choose between the two :slight_smile:

Have you physically looked at these TV’s on hand?

Played with the features and such?

You have a budget in mind and as along as you are happy with what the TV does for you and it works go for it.

Remember this thou and you have pointed out your view on it. Once you get the TV setup properly, any of your HD material or up converted material will look great. SD material may not look as great and this will not be the TV’s fault, rather the source. You should be able to take steps to make SD content tolerable. The only minor beef you may have unless you plan on using a AMP is how much volume that outputted by the TV itself.

:cool::cool:

Hi Platinumsword, I will be using a Home theater audio system so no issue there I use a PS3 to play DVD’s and such so that alone is a great upconvertor. I have physically seen it and played with it as well it is beautiful. I was going to get a vizio so see I learn I read all over the net that it is a get me by only unit. Pans I see have great reviews to from what I seen. A buddy of mine has this same TV too so that helped. 998.99 can’t go wrong really I think.

Dr. Who, checkout Samsung plasma when you have a chance. I’ve been reading that the 7th and 8th generations get very nice reviews. I also read in one of the home theather magazines (forgot which one) they rank Samsung plasma 1st place and Panasonic plasma in 2nd place. I have a Samsung plasma myself and a very close friend owns Panasonic TH-46PZ80U from 6ave and we can’t seem to get rid of the greenish tint when calibrating. Maybe I’m used to my Samsung, anyway, you can’t go wrong with either one of them.

The only thing that I would add is that technically speaking, real HD requires 1080p resolution and a minimum 50" display. LCD is great for a smaller room and plasma for a larger room due to the LCD’s more limited viewing angle.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2218093]The only thing that I would add is that technically speaking, [B]real HD requires 1080p resolution [/B]and a minimum 50" display. LCD is great for a smaller room and plasma for a larger room due to the LCD’s more limited viewing angle.[/QUOTE]
Real I would assume means ‘in the real world’, where no 1080p sources exist, except for Blu-Ray. As it is many providers are further compressing HD material to cram as much as possible out of aging systems. The bandwith reqirements for 1080p are huge… it will be awhile.

As far as Samsung LCDs, HD looks great, unfortunately many folks will be watching SD content which is almost unwatchable. Panasonic plasmas on the other hand handle SD content quite well.

“Real” refers to laboratory benchmark testing. Yes more and more broadcasts in 1080p will arrive as the price drops. I currently am receiving some 1080p content. And don’t forget that Blu Ray has some 1080p also.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2221687]“Real” refers to laboratory benchmark testing. Yes more and more broadcasts in 1080p will arrive as the price drops. I currently am receiving some 1080p content. And don’t forget that Blu Ray has some 1080p also.[/QUOTE]
I mentioned Blu-Ray. I would be interested to know where you are getting true 1080p content from. No major broadcaster is using it.

more and more broadcasts in 1080p will arrive

Yes they will, when the very significant costs of updating equipment and the bandwidth starved infrastructure are met. These costs will only increase over time and will have to passed on to the already overcharged consumer. All the major players are seeing their subscription base decline. Price hikes and major investments are not something you’ll see in these financial times.

“Real” refers to laboratory benchmark testing.

There is nothing 'Real" about benchmark testing. In the “Real World” we use our eyes to watch TV, not instruments.

Only way of getting 1080p is via download to your box if it supports the service and sources are limited as well.

:cool::cool: