Your opinions about ASUS A7V600-X Mobo

vbimport

Hi!
Currently i have a MSI K7T Turbo 2 motherboard and i intend to upgrade to an Asus A7V600-X one. The A7V600 is based on the VIA KT600 Northbridge and on the VIA VT8237 Southbridge.
Is Asus A7V600-X a good choice?
What are your experiences with this board or chipsets? For those who own them, offcourse!
I can buy this board now for 66€ and i do not intend to spend more than 75€, since i will have to buy DDR RAM too.
Regards!

I think you should go for a nForce based motherboard since the nVidia chipset has better performance than the VIA one.

Checkout ASRock’s products if you’re interested in Asus’s -X products, they have a higher bang for the buck ratio.
//Danne

i am also interested in a Motherboard with a Serial ATA Controller!
nVIDIA based boards with serial ATA Controllers exceed my money limit! At least the ones from ASUS (above 100€)! Didn´t check other brands, yet! Perhaps you could give me an advice for one!

http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k7s8xe+.htm perhaps?
50 bucks @ newegg.com
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-157-017&depa=0
30 GBP @ itbutikken.dk (several countries).
Dunno about a retailer in Portugal though.
VIA KT400A with SATA is usually also a safe bet (no idea about KT600), google for reviews if you see an interesting motherboard at your retailer.
//Danne

Ok, i found the ASROCK K7S8XE+ SIS748 on this site http://www.chiptec.net/index.php?catid=13&subcat=48&pagina=5&order=titulo
it costs 51.9€. But is it better than the Asus one?
If i decide to buy it, i will have to order it by mail, so add more 6 or 7€ to it! The one from Asus, i can buy near my home and costs 66€.
Ordering the ASROCK K7S8XE+ from that site by mail, will not be a problem, since i will have to order a thermal compound (Artic Silver 5) from that store anyway!

They’re equal although I find the SiS-chipset very reliable. It’s up to you, I’m picking up an ASRock mobo next weekend.
If you want some user feedback try OCWorkbench’s ASRock & Asus forum.
//Danne

So, you are saying that both chipsets perform the same, but the SIS chipset might be more stable!
I am considering on buing that ASRock motherboard since it offers pratically the same features as the ASUS one, and is cheaper!
About the SIS chipset, is it good for SATA? Because i am considering on putting a SATA hard drive on it, instead of an ATA one. Wich is best, the ATA, or the SATA, for that motherboard? I am considering a Samsung 120GB SATA 8Mb cache. For memory i am considering a Twinmos 512Mb DDR400 2.5 CAS.
The soundcard that comes included with that motherboard is better than a SoundBlaster Live! Player 1024, i currently have, or not? Does it support EAX or perhaps EAX2? Does it decodes Dolby or DTS on hardware?
Thanks in advance!

Really mostly ive found with asus your paying for the name. but they do produce good motherboards generally…ive had a few bad ones.

@ engine
From what I’ve heard it’s fine although you may experience some quirks with (some?) Maxtor SATA drives. Performance-wise there’s nothing to gain between PATA/SATA, they perform the same and the only advantage is the smaller cable. The TwinMOS RAM stick should be fine although I know that the M-TEC-chipped ones may have issues running at 400Mhz (PC3200) in general. The integrated sound card is a very simple one and I highly doubt that it surpasses your SB Live! in audio quality. I’m not exactly sure about the specs but I’m quite sure that it doesn’t support EAX2 nor decodes DTS/AC3 in hardware.
//Danne

I have already ordered that ASRock board that you suggested!
Now i am running an AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Socket A and i have another CPU AMD Duron 1200Mhz also socket A. With this new motherboard i will be able to build another system. Since i will have to buy diferent RAM (ordered it too) for this new mobo, and a friend will give me a graphics card. The new mobo requires a new case. I will order it soon. Than it´s just buying a new hard drive also, and thats it!
Since i will have to buy a new hard drive i will buy a SATA one. Since it is a newer technology, it must be better, it´s not? As i have a PCI controller card and four IDE devices, not counting with the hard drive, i will be able to put one IDE device in just one IDE channel! Isn´t that better for performance? For example when tranfering data from one DVD-Rom to a DVD-burner.

So you have 2 hard drives and 4 optical units or 2 hard drives and 3 optical units?
It’s best to keep the optical units on separate channels if you intend to transfer on the fly but keep in mind that very few drives are able to do that while keeping a sustained data rate.
//Danne

Installed, know, i have three optical units, one Zip Drive, and a hard Drive!
Thats what will be atached to that ASRock board. (Maybe i will provide more information about my primary system on my signature)
On the other system, not so fast, that i will be able to build (it´s mostly for office use, like text editing) i have a DVD-ROM drive and will atach my Maxtor ATA 133 drive to it (the one i have know). I will buy a new SATA hard drive that i will connect to the ASRock board. Probably it will be an IBM/Hitachi one or a Samsung, since these two where respectively first and second in some hard drive roundup i have read somewhere. The Samsung is even cheaper than the other hard drives that performed worse. So it has the best performance/price ratio! Thats why i am considering the Samsung one.
That´s all!

What do you think about the ones i have in my signature? Are they good for on the fly data transfer?
The Lite-on and the JLMS one are set as Ultra DMA Mode 2. The LG one, for some reason, is set to Multi-Word DMA Mode 2, wich is worse in performance! I suspect its a motherboard thing, since when i connect the Lite-on and the JLMS ones to that channel they can´t be set to Ultra DMA Mode 2!
Let´s see what happens with the new board!

Yey, I finally got the motherboard myself and I have to admitt that it’s a lot better what I excepted and it runs like a charm :slight_smile:

@ engine
I see, here’s my suggested lineup:

Primary Channel
Master: Lite-On SOHW-832S
Slave: JLMS XJ-HD166S
Secondary Channel
Master: LG GCE-8525B
Slave: ZIP-Drive
SATA:
Channel 1: Harddrive
Channel 2: None

Regarding your drive I’m a bit unsure, I have a JLMS (165) drive myself and I have to admitt that it tends to spin up and down quite frequently which makes is less suitable for on the fly transfers. Mixing different modes is not a good idea and it’s very likely that the JLMS drive doesn’t support UDMA33, at least I don’t think mine does (too lazy to check). In thory (M)WDMA-2 is slower although you’ll most likely never exceed 16,6Mbyte/s with an optical drive.
//Danne

So you got that ASRock motherboard you suggested to me?
I have ordered that board too! But i suspect it will be here not before 15 August! Since the people from that store are on vacation untill then.

Didn´t i told you that i have a “Silicon Image 0680 Ultra ATA 133 IDE RAID controller”?

Now the configuration is:

Motherboard Southbridge is a VIA 686B Chipset wich supports maximum ATA 100 (it´s a great crap! Gives some problems with Zip Drives. It´s confirmed by VIA themselves!)

Primary channel
Master: Lite-On SOHW-832S Set as Ultra DMA Mode 2
Slave: JLMS XJ-HD166S Set as Ultra DMA Mode 2

Secondary channel
Master: LG GCE-8525B Set as Muti-Word DMA Mode 2
Slave: None

Silicon Image 0680 Controller

Primary channel
Master: MAXTOR 6L080J4 Harddrive Set as Ultra DMA Mode 6 (it´s the same as ATA 133)

Secondary channel
Master: Iomega Zip 100 Drive Set as Muti-Word DMA Mode 1

Those DMA modes where checked!
If i didn´t had that controller i would agree completely with you.

With the new motherboard that i ordered, it will be:

Motherboard

Primary channel
Master: JLMS XJ-HD166S (Will be here because it´s a CD and DVD faster reader than the other optical drives, wich is good to boot the windows installation CD for example. Optical drives atached to the SIL Controller will not boot. This is proved!)

Secondary channel
Master: Iomega Zip 100 (has to be here, because when connected to the Silicon Image Controller, the eject button does not work.)

SATA:

Channel 1: Harddrive
Channel 2: None

Silicon Image 0680 Controller

Primary channel
Master: Lite-On SOHW-832S

Secondary channel
Master: LG GCE-8525B

However a problem remains! I don´t know if flashing the firmware of those drives connected to the SIL Controller, is possible with the manufacturers flasher! If it is not, i maybe will have to open the case and change the IDE configurations many times!

Oh sorry, I forgot :slight_smile:
Your “new” setup looks fine :slight_smile:
//Danne

Well. The motherboard, with the RAM and that Artic Silver 5, came yesterday.
It´s not assembled yet. Since i will pick up a new ATX case, i will assemble it later, when the case comes too. So far, i am very happy with that board. It came with all the optional extras, i.e SATA power and data cables, MIDI connector etc! And all that for just 51€!
When i put it running, i will give my final opinion.

Hi!
After a tree weeks vacation near Lisbon, Portugal, here i am!
The ASROCK K7S8XE+ motherboard is running now!
I bought a Samsung 160 Gb SATA hard drive for it, and is running now too. However when bios boot up the hard drive says UDMA 7. Wich is supportes by the drive. I guess it is Serial ATA 150 UDMA mode. Serial ATA 150 is in the specifications of the motherboard. So i think it should be UDMA mode 7 reported in Windows XP, but instead it is UDMA mode 6, the one that is reported!
You DiiZzy, said that you got this board yourself. Did you connected the front panel audio connectors? I know that one is for microphone, but the other i don´t know! Mayby for Line-In or Headphones? By the way my case connectors (the front panel audio ones) are not long enouph to reach the pins on the Motherboard! Does anyone knoes a solution for this problem?

I don’t think you should care about the change in UDMA mode, both are way above what your drive will transfer per sec. You can find a pinout for the Front Panel Connector on page 13 (English) and regarding the cables I guess you need extension cords.
And yes, I’m running it right now and I’m very satisfied, especially with the Performance BIOS (ver 1.91).
//Danne