Your hands are tied by the industry!

Why the hell are 3.5 inch drives still in existance? If you look at a 3.5 floppy too long, it becomes corrupt.

What’s up with these 100 lb tower systems after freaking 10+ ars of advancements in everything else? I can use the same damn case I used on my 166 MHz I bought in 1995 for my system now!

52X CD ROM is even junk. Why does it take years to drop these formats that completly suck?

Why can’t some motherboard manufacturer just make a modern completely different MB that is not tied down by all the old technology that lingers on inside these “advanced” systems?

I know that Hard Drives are supposed to be advanced to a higher level soon with that serial ATA (I have NO clue what that even is yet)…

I can’t see why they stick to these same AGP slots, PCI slots, same ole IDE, etc…for so many years??? Sounds fishy to me.

BadASCII

PS: I know the C-64 lasted for over 10 years a popular system without many upgrades, but this is the past. In the last 5 years we’ve gone from Voodoo 3000 to Geforce 4 Ti 4600. WTF? 3.5 inch damned drive from hell…

Another one of your doomsday posts BadASCII ? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by BadASCII

Why the hell are 3.5 inch drives still in existance? If you look at a 3.5 floppy too long, it becomes corrupt.

Never had that problem much. I’ve got floppies of 7 years old still working perfectly. 1.72Mb on them in big chunky .ARJ files :slight_smile:

What’s up with these 100 lb tower systems after freaking 10+ ars of advancements in everything else? I can use the same damn case I used on my 166 MHz I bought in 1995 for my system now!

Nope , it’s ATX now baby

52X CD ROM is even junk. Why does it take years to drop these formats that completly suck?

Only when the market is completely full with CDROMs , they will stop producing them and fill the market with DVD. Then on to Blu-Ray and god knows what. Creating a consumer’s world. Americans are good in that :slight_smile:

Why can’t some motherboard manufacturer just make a modern completely different MB that is not tied down by all the old technology that lingers on inside these “advanced” systems?

Can be done on software leves well : Beowulf Clusters ? :slight_smile:

Some manufacturers did actually. They called them Playstation or XboX :slight_smile:

I know that Hard Drives are supposed to be advanced to a higher level soon with that serial ATA (I have NO clue what that even is yet)…

They are going from parralell data transfer (say , 8 bits at a time) to serial transfer again (say 1 bit per time , but only at 8th of the speed of the parallel transfer). Thing is the serial ata is less influenced by interefences of the big spooky world (electromagnetic radiation on the cable) , so they can make it a lot faster. And we like faster , don’t we ?

I can’t see why they stick to these same AGP slots, PCI slots, same ole IDE, etc…for so many years??? Sounds fishy to me.

It’s a conspiracy , see CDROM -> DVD -> Blu Ray explanation :slight_smile:

PS: I know the C-64 lasted for over 10 years a popular system without many upgrades, but this is the past. In the last 5 years we’ve gone from Voodoo 3000 to Geforce 4 Ti 4600. WTF? 3.5 inch damned drive from hell…

What about the GameBoy :slight_smile: Not much upgrades on that thing as well.

OK, OK. I get your point :slight_smile: …but now tell me, if you were some big head honcho and someone said…You now are in charge of creating the latest/greatest computer system…What would YOU do? Looking at what you know, and what you could do with it…

Isn’t it possible to create something twice as good as what is available now in a relatively short time if you abandon some of the old technology?

Couldn’t they make some kind of built-in cartridge or flash memory card that could boot up in a second and could just be bought and replaced with any upgrades, etc…? There has to be SOMETHING out there that YOU (MR Belvedere) personally would like to see exist in the computer market that isn’t being pumped up enough.

What do you think?

BadASCII

Also- Isn’t Mr. Belvedere a butler from some American TV show and that guy is now DEAD? Doh!

Originally posted by BadASCII
[B]OK, OK. I get your point :slight_smile: …but now tell me, if you were some big head honcho and someone said…You now are in charge of creating the latest/greatest computer system…What would YOU do? Looking at what you know, and what you could do with it…

Isn’t it possible to create something twice as good as what is available now in a relatively short time if you abandon some of the old technology?

Couldn’t they make some kind of built-in cartridge or flash memory card that could boot up in a second and could just be bought and replaced with any upgrades, etc…? There has to be SOMETHING out there that YOU (MR Belvedere) personally would like to see exist in the computer market that isn’t being pumped up enough.

What do you think?

BadASCII

Also- Isn’t Mr. Belvedere a butler from some American TV show and that guy is now DEAD? Doh! [/B]

You know you’re the first one on cdfreaks who made that connection ? :slight_smile: Yup , he is dead :slight_smile:

Thing is when inventing/introducing a new technology , in order to have a succesful one ; You have to make sure it has a backwards compatibility with the previous technology.

Take for instance the color tv. In order to introduce it to the mass market , the inventors had to make sure all the black&white broadcasting should also be viewable on the “new” color tv’s.
One of the big issues with HDTV for instance is that in order to have such high quality tv , you have to tune in to a HDVT broadcasting as well. Same applies for sounds , dolby surround , thx , dts , etcetera.

So if you have this superb invention on technology , try to support the old technology as much as possible as well.

What if i came up with a high quality superb fast video bus… Let’s call it the Mr-B port. It produces the highest and fastest video you have ever seen , Quake III runs in 8000x6000x128bits at a framerate of 700 fps. BUT , you will need a new motherboard , and it ONLY RUNS on OS/2 with an AMD K6-II CPU. Think i’d make lots of money ? :slight_smile:

Hey , i’m not dead , i’m in a bad plot :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

But would it not be impossible to make a new Motherboard that had a new MR-B port on it in addition to the PCI, AGP, IDE, etc. ?

It just seems some avenues are not being persued enough…Who knows, maybe marketing costs keeps these products off the shelves?

I have no idea about this.

I do know that I think that the computer industry is coming out with boring things right now and I am not very interested. I mean jesus christ: The same ATX case I used 10 years ago I have my stuff in now. However, I do like when people take one of the old tabletop (jesus, it’s been so long I forgot what they are called) models and stuff in all the latest equipment…That’s sweet right there…

Anyways, I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what the future holds. Not much else to say, I guess.