Your favourite SCI FI and why

vbimport

I just loved the original Trek when I was a kid. TNG was okay but, as an eleven-year-old back in the sixties I would come away from an episode of Trek with tons to think about. This doesn’t happen with a lot of the crapola they serve up as “reality tv” these days.
And, anyone looking at my avatar can see that I was fond of Lost in Space. I know the sets and effects were often cheap and nasty and some the episodes were beyond ridiculous(…think of “Vegetable Rebellion” and the talking carrot!), but I loved the interplay between Will, the Robot and Doctor Smith. I learned to love the sound of English from Jonathon Harris (Smith) and also learned to value a large vocabulary. He could bash the robot around with a simple…“You neanderthal ninny!” better than he could with a monkey wrench. Ah, those were the days…

OK, it’s kinda like a sci-fi based comedy, but I just love Red Dwarf (www.reddwarf.co.uk if you wanna check it out).

If you’ve never seen it, try and find an episode or two…you’ll love it :bigsmile:

Yes…this was a hoot…like Monty Python in space…
“In space no one can hear you cackle!” :bigsmile:

“In space, no one can hear you smeg” :bigsmile:

Classic line: “Smeg! What the smeg’s he smegging done? He’s smegging killed me!” :bigsmile:

Smeg, the final frontier, these are the voyages of the Starship Smegaprise, its five year mission to seek out and explore new smeg, to boldy smeg where no one has smegged before!!!
Ahhh aaaaaah lalal la la…(WOOSH)…la lalah…lalala ahhhhhh! (WOOSH) :wink:

And do many of you remember “The Day the Earth Stood Still” with Michael Rennie as “Klatuu” and the impressive big robot “Gort”.
[B][I]“Gort; Klatuu barada nikto”[/I][/B]

LMAO :bigsmile:

And I completely trashed that line I quoted from RD…it’s supposed to be:

“Smeg! What the smegging smeg’s he smegging done? He’s smegging killed me!”

Extra smeg needed :bigsmile:

And I forgot to say why…because it’s excellent British comedy…and because there’s a character called The Cat, now how cool is that? :wink:

Lucky boxer shorts!

From slime we evolved & to slime we will return!
Oh, and if you are ever leaving earth … make sure you turn of all the lights & clean out your bank accounts … to the last cent :stuck_out_tongue:

And watch out for God … he has something in his pocket.
Hint: It’s not a hole

Besides … god isn’t that way inclined … although God did make man in his own image :stuck_out_tongue:

well I love every tv-show that have borgs in it :stuck_out_tongue:

red dwarf3 was the best :iagree: & the borg :bow:

I would have to say my current favorite is tripping the rift (yea, I know, not typical sci-fi). There is lots of sci-fi I like (starwars, star trek except enterprise, outer limits, even stuff like lexx and farscape), but you can only watch the same things so many times, and it seems like there just inst much good sci-fi latlly (at least stuff that I like that I have found anyway).

TTR here too, and ENT 4 and 3 (in this order).

“Hello space mutants!”

As much as I go for the tripping the rift kind of thing now (have all southpark converted to dvd, and I mean all, through part of season 9 anyway), I’m watching buckrodgers right now, and I really miss the quality of old sci-fi. I have never been a dr who, red dwarf kind of show fan, but some of those olde ones, kind of cheasy, disco music (making it mega cheasy), but they had a good story line, good making, a show that can keep you interested. Batalstar galactica was so cheasy in the disco erra respect, but it was a good, well though out show. The new one, while entertaining, just doesn’t have the quality and realism of the first. Maybe its cause I think it is a bastardazation of the original (though an enjoyable show to watch), but tv or movie, they just rip them out to fast and do not put the effort they used to.
A good example would be lor of the rings. Dont spit it out in a week, spend years makeing a movie, and make it right!!!
Just my opinion though, as I have seen some quick, low budget movies that were pretty good, so its all relative.

i realy like pitch black and the sequel chronicles of riddick.

and all 4 parts of alliën.

My favourite Genre. :slight_smile:

Grew up with shows like:

Star Trek TOS
Lost In Space
The Time Tunnel
Land Of The Giants
Dr Who
Superman (B&W repeats)
The Invaders
Voyage to The Bottom Of The Sea.

Movies like:

The Time Machine
Journey To The Centre Of The Earth
Forbidden Planet

Great stuff for young boys with an imagination. :iagree:

Does The Abyss count? I always liked it so much from some unknown reason.

thanks to this thread I applied for an open job as a Promo Producer at the sci-fi channel today :slight_smile:

Colossus - The Forbin Project

I found it interesting to compare how the president , Colossus gave orders and what you would think if they had switched roles :slight_smile:

Good,bad I think depends on how much you believe the 1’st 5 minutes.

TV shows…
Red Dwarf is fantastic
"I saw you ‘cross the dance floor (dancin’)
I thought of birds and bees (reproductive system baby)
But when I tried to speak to ya (talk, talk)
My tongue unravelled to my knees (flippety-flippety-flop)" :iagree:

Doctor Who (met Tom Baker once at a convention)
Star Trek (old is better than the new)

For movies…
Star Wars (original 3)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
2001 (I use Hal’s voice for my computer startup and shutdown)
A Clockwork Orange (Sci-Fi :confused: )
Lord of the Rings
Blade Runner
Alien

I guess I’ve always enjoyed the British humor since I was young. Red Dwarf is just so different than anything else I’ve seen. They actually did an American pilot for the show. It was absolutley horrible. :Z

I can’t even remember how I got into Doctor Who. Late night broadcast on PBS when I was like 9. The special effects were just so bad I had to watch it. It grew on me.

Star Wars was just overwhelming to a 7 year old kid. That was the first big sci-fi movie I saw in the theater. I was too young for 2001 but thanks to VHS I was able to see it. Great movie.

I wish there was some good sci-fi to look forward to but I’m unaware of anything that looks that great. I may go see A Scanner Darkly this weekend.

The original Twlight Zone. No other effort has ever accomplished so much in such short segments.