Your experiences with absolute best compatability with broad range of standalone DVD players for burns done on Optiarc AD-7200A?

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the Optiarc AD-7200A. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]I’m trying to get some (experienced) recommendations for the best combination of media type, burning software, burning speed, book-type, etc to maximize the comptibility of my video burns with any and all standalone DVD players, especially as concerns dual-layer discs but also for single layer. I have tried cheap Ritek DVD R DL burned in my Optiarc AD-7200A (so automatically bitset to DVD-ROM), burned at 8x with a freeware burning program, but they don’t work even on my brother’s DVD-recorder/player unit. Will I likely have better luck with quality media, slower burn speeds, and maybe even expensive burn software? I’m guessing that DVD-R DL will fare no better in that the standard wasn’t ratified contemporaneously with DVD-R/RW, but is this an incorrect assumption? Do properly burned DVD-R discs have better general compatability even than comparable-quality DVD R with book-type set to DVD-ROM? Thanks for your time and insight. :slight_smile:

First of all, the only reason why it doesn’t work is probably because of the media used. Ritek DVD+R DL are not considered to be the best, period. If you want the best compatibility, single and dual-layer Verbatim discs will be your best bet.

Your writer (AD-7200A) is considered to be one of the best SL/DL burners currently in existence (and also OOS/EOL). So on that bit you’ve got your bases covered.

For dual layer discs everyone on the forum will recommend ImgBurn, as it is free and feature-complete.

One of the things I noticed with what you’ve done is burning 8x on some cheapass dual-layer disc. That’s a no-no for most cases, even for a good writer as the 7200A. I would say that’s ok for Verbatim or other quality media, but otherwise it would almost result in a coaster everytime. Stick to about half of the rated speed, or a notch below the rated speed for newer media (4-6x burns for 8x DL / 8-12x burns for 16x SL) and you’ll get fantastic results. The slowest and the fastest speed settings will give you the worst results in most cases.

So yes, quality media and slower (not slowest) burn speeds will give the best results - burning software does not affect the quality of your burns, but some will help make intelligent decisions regarding DL layer breaks (such as the freeware ImgBurn) - resulting in non-stuttering layer changes on DL discs.

DVD-R DL discs have poor compatibility with optical drives since little support has been shown by drive manufacturers, although there are -R DL discs in the market. Stick with +R DL and bitset it to DVD-ROM for maximum compatibility with writers and standalones.

DVD-R discs are believed to be have generally better compatibility than DVD+R, and there is no need for bitsetting. The current crop of standalones however support almost any type of DVD media, even +R discs that aren’t bitset. If compatibility is your primary concern, DVD-R is your answer, although the quality of DVD+R discs that are bitset to DVD-ROM is similar unless if used on some old, finicky DVD players. If DL media is needed, stick with DVD+R DL (reason stated in preceding paragraph. :p).

Short answer: use quality media (Verbatim/Taiyo Yuden/insert-high-quality-media-of-your-choice) be it +R or -R and burn at neither the fastest nor the slowest speed setting on your burner on your favorite (or free :p) burning software, bitset +R discs if possible. The key part of the equation is the media used - don’t expect gold out of lead. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wow–thank you! That was an incredibly thorough and helpful reply. I’ll try ImgBurn along with your other recommendations.

So of the two brands you mentioned, Verbatim is considered to have the best overall quality, and/or best compatibility with standalone players? Does TY even make DVD+R DL discs? (I’ve never seen them for sale).

[QUOTE=hstevens;2214697]Wow–thank you! That was an incredibly thorough and helpful reply. I’ll try ImgBurn along with your other recommendations.

So of the two brands you mentioned, Verbatim is considered to have the best overall quality, and/or best compatibility with standalone players? Does TY even make DVD+R DL discs? (I’ve never seen them for sale).[/QUOTE]

You’re welcome. :wink:

Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden are the two most recommended brands in CDFreaks, and while both produce the best quality media, Verbatim is still better known for having better compatibility between the two brands. Quality goes to Taiyo Yuden which produces some of the best media scans (using Nero CD/DVD Speed). TY did make DL discs, but they were of the -R DL variant and have since been phased out or is available in very limited quantities, mostly found in Japan or special media retailers.

The only trouble-free +R DL media that you’ll run across are Verbatim 2.4x/8x MKM001/003. Both perform outstandingly well at 4x (2.4x Verbatims can be oversped to produce better results - search CDF forums). They even make -R DL media, only recently found by CDFreaks members over at the Blank Media subforum.

I’ve personally used truckloads of Verbatim media for every purpose possible and have never been disappointed with it (except probably with the price :D). It has the best mix of quality and compatibility in the market, and I will continue using it. :wink:

Well, I’m off to track down some good prices on Verbatim media and read a few more sticky/FAQ posts here.

Thanks again!