Your 8x DVD+R drive might write dual layer discs

vbimport

I just posted the article Your 8x DVD+R drive might write dual layer discs.

One of the most exciting technologies in the
optical storage industry is at currently the dual layer disc. Both the DVD+RW
Alliance and Pioneer have announced their technologies, but the…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7111-Your-8x-DVDR-drive-might-write-dual-layer-discs.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/7111-Your-8x-DVDR-drive-might-write-dual-layer-discs.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

In other words… “Please don’t stop buying our existing hardware, there’s really no need to wait for dual-layer drives… honest!” Jeez…Pull the other one

This reminds me of the whole “add support for DVD+R with a firmware update” fiasco. I’ve talked to a few drive manufacturers and most of the drives sold this year WILL NOT support dual layer writing. As far as the drives from Philips and HP… I’ll believe it when I see it.

Software update and IC change… I can’t see that happening for many people. They may as well say slower sped drives will be able to do it if you change the laser too!

Like I said before on another thread, keep your money in your pocket and wait till Easter when these dual layer drives hit the market.

Well now, this settles the arguement if new drive is needed…

I have to agree with fellip_nector that this sounds more like “buy an 8x cuz maybe it will have that feature next year”. Then when next year comes they’ll slack on adding BIOES support for it hoping you will buy a new drive instead.

I saved the box for my Plextor 8x DVD+R drive and it will make a nice gift for someone. Dual layer media will cost so much anyway, it will be crazy, but I do like the fear it will put in hollywood perhaps that will get them to come out with the new HD-DVD format just so we can’t make perfect 1:1 copies.

My best guess is that dual layer won’t be widely available before christmas…next year. And I don’t expect the price of drives and media to be good before easter 2005… But time will show.

Sounds like the good old trick just like with DVD+RW drives. I remember they said a simple firmware upgrade will solve writting to DVD+R. Then later these things faded and you had to buy a new drive… (oh, oh this trick is often used by the DVD+RW alliance…) I am sure not the only one who won’t buy anything from them up till that someone writes me a correct and working dual layer disk… :wink: regards, Stephen

fellip_nectar sed it all. I hope the DVD+RW Alliance doesn’t think the market is gullible enough to believe this tripe. btw, my newly-installed Predictormatic Future Prediction Unit (FPU) has the ‘reasonably priced dual layer recorders’ appearing in 2006 (earliest). By then we should have a bunch of exciting (and incompatible) formats to choose from, not to mention dirt-cheap single-layer DVD.

“Dual layer media will cost so much anyway, it will be crazy, but I do like the fear it will put in hollywood perhaps that will get them to come out with the new HD-DVD format just so we can’t make perfect 1:1 copies.” They shouldn’t worry too much. DVD sales are rocketing up even though dvd burner sales are increasing. The blu-ray burners will take care of ur HD-DVD backups :g

put it this way, even if a dual layer drive comes out, your dvd player most likely wont even read it.

well, now that dual-layer drives are finally available -the manufacturers are now telling us that it’s “unsafe” to upgrade our firmware to support dual-layer. “As if there were ever any doubt”