You guys geussed it - Ultradisc

I ordered a few of the MFSL Ultradisc CD-R’s, and like some of you have called it, they are MAM.

I did find an old burner that I had that was capable of a 1X burn and did burn one of them.

Got a BenQ to scan with and show some results?

I may be able to get to a Lite On to scan it in the next couple of weeks.

Ooh MAM with CSI stamper. Hmm that could look questionable !Guess they ran out of Mitsui atip stampers and had the CSI stampers still arround.

[QUOTE=disk n00b;1974041]I ordered a few of the MFSL Ultradisc CD-R’s, and like some of you have called it, they are MAM.

I did find an old burner that I had that was capable of a [B]1X burn and did burn one of them.[/B][/QUOTE]

:confused:
Why 1x?

Why 1x?[/QUOTE]

You see, the Ultradiscs are primarily meant to be recorded on an expensive professional audio CD recorder. Most modern computer burners, however, cannot physically go slower than 8x. And the Ultradiscs are rated to only 12x maximum. This gives you very little leeway, and you may get mediocre burn quality on this media at either speed on a modern PC-based burner.

Are they RATED 10x-12x?

[QUOTE=RJL65;1974152]You see, the Ultradiscs are primarily meant to be recorded on an expensive professional audio CD recorder. Most modern computer burners, however, cannot physically go slower than 8x.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. I think I said this now 3 times on this board. Modern drives can most times be still forced in 1x speed with the right software.
Have to look up what the tool was called, but it’s possible.
There is no such thing as a physicall limitation in most cases.
However keep in mind that drives are not build for this speed and there strategies might work bad at 1x !
But technically and physically it’s possible.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;1974293]Wrong. I think I said this now 3 times on this board. Modern drives can most times be still forced in 1x speed with the right software.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. But I only go by what is natively supported in the firmware. To get a slower speed than what’s officially supported will require firmware hacks.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;1974293]Wrong. I think I said this now 3 times on this board. Modern drives can most times be still forced in 1x speed with the right software.
Have to look up what the tool was called, but it’s possible.[/QUOTE]

Well, I’ve found all the three posts but you never mention the name of the tool. So is it a linux tool?
Thanks in advance for any info you can share on that, I’d like to see how this software works.

P.S. Sorry for the OT.

No firmware hacking needed.
I will dig up the name and the link to it. Since it seems that some crazy folks might be interested. Only problem is time. So this could take a few weeks.:o

[QUOTE=dakhaas;1974508]Only problem is time. So this could take a few weeks.:o[/QUOTE]

No problems, and no hurry. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=chef;1974186]Are they RATED 10x-12x?[/QUOTE]

They recommend “real time” 1x for that type of dye. But it is 12x max.

Even on the MAM-A web site they have 2 versions 1-12x and something like 12-52x, in both 650/700’s

Also on a side note about the 4 levels of QC, The one disc that I opened has a small nic on the botom side, and had a smudge/spot on it as well.

The jewel case is pretty nifty though.