You can't copy protect your own DVDs!

vbimport

Ok, basically there are allot of posts in this forum asking how to copy protect there homemade DVDs.

What I would like to say is basically that there is no point posting this, the only DVD copy protections out there for video are industrial grade and cant simply “patch” a image file to make it protected. Even if these protections where implemented they would be useless as the Macrovision protection was defeated years ago, and the new Sony protections have been just as useless. For data protection the big SafeDisc/SecuROM/StarForce protections are around, and are pretty effective, but again, are industrial grade, and would require a contract with the company, a professional DVD factory, and for orders to be in the thousands.

As I have said in before the best method of copy protecting homemade DVDs is to put watermarks with the name of the person receiving the DVD on it. That way you can track the source of the copy, if you put somewhere on the packaging that it has been individually watermarked people will be very unlikely to still copy it.

So quite simply… “there is no practical way of copy protecting homemade DVDs, for both video and data”.

If a mod could sticky this that would be great!

Regards,

Ben :slight_smile:

Cool, how does one watermark their DVD?

A few ways, its up to you, all that matters is they dont know where it is so they cant remove it. For video DVD’s you could put a image with there name on one of the video frames before encoding it, and saving the frame number so you can check it if you get hold of a illegal copy, or you could use IfoEdit to set the Provider ID to the persons name, or you could use a hex editor too add there name at the end of one of the vob files. I would go with the first one, as it would be very hard to spot without checking through every single video frame, and re-encoding wont remove it like it will for the other two.

Ben :slight_smile:

Also you could try; When making a data disk, you make a small hidden file (e.g. txt file) that contains the persons name/other info. The if copies are made then all you is get a copy of the copy ( :stuck_out_tongue: ) and then you can see who made the copy in the first place.

\\VH////
:slight_smile:

How do you create a watermark on a personal DVD?

Please see the above post which said how to do it. Basically a video editor and add a known frame to the movie.

If it’s data files then use a hex editor and modify a binary file with known info you can look at later on.

You can’t stop someone from copying it. All you can do is attempt to leave a trail to help you find if someone has a legit copy or not.

You need to keep track of the changes and to whom those changes were made and when given or sold to.

how does it track that the copy of a copy is sold to whom…

Someone already tested a homemade copy protection in DVD-R video based on:

CGMS (one copy is allowed) + DVD-RW CPRM media + DVD-R CPRM media?

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/55/828831

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3bbc5fa1

[B]Authoring software with option to define CGMS…[/B]

[B]
DVD-RW media with CPRM copyright protection[/B]

[B]
DVD-R media with CPRM copyright protection[/B]

http://videobr.pro.br/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4091&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=270#p51645
http://videobr.pro.br/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4091&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=285

“Does AnyDVD remove CPRM Copy protection?.”

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f88/does-anydvd-remove-cprm-copy-protection-168382/

"CPRM discussion Thread"
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f80/cprm-discussion-thread-162604/

"CPRM (or not) drives list"
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f80/cprm-not-drives-list-161954/

As most of new setop dvd recorders (from major brands) and dvd writers are CPRM compatible, the copy of DVD-R CPRM (with “copy of copy” not allowed) tends to be more difficult…

For the old BenQ DW-1620…
http://www.forumpcs.com.br/viewtopic.php?p=1359495#1359495

[B]Maybe to view this DVD-R with CPRM in PC, video players may need extra plugins…:[/B]

http://www.forumpcs.com.br/viewtopic.php?t=231263

Roberto

Copy protect DVDs of any type can be copied with the right software and hardware, so there is no point in Copy protecting your own, if you don’t want it copied lock it away, most people who do copy industrial grade DVDs do it for illegal reasons or some just copy as to back up their own DVD collection.

I found a clever way around this a few years back. There is an application called DVDXCOPY Express by 321 studios. Normally what happens, is when you duplicate a copyrighted disc with it, it removes the copyright, duplicates the disc for you. Then it adds a splash screen, and adds its own copyright protection(s). So you can’t duplicate the duplicate. Either with the same software or any other DVD burning software.

So what I would do is create a DVD, and then copy it with DVDXCOPY. Even though it didn’t have protection in the first place, it still adds it own to it. Then I would patch the iso image with a new splash screen (most people patched the image to remove the splash). The 321 studios splash said something like, this is an archival copy, don’t distribute this or copy it blah blah blah. I am not sure if the software is around, the company was shut down due to litigation by the MPAA.

The down side was that once you had a disc, you couldn’t just pop off 5 or 10 of them because you had to bypass the protection to copy it again. So after awhile I stopped patching in my own splash screen (You had to create an image of the disc, patch the iso, then reburn it). Perhaps today with better 1:1 duplication software like alchohol or clone dvd this could work a lot better for mass producing.

[QUOTE=bjd223;2155519]I found a clever way around this a few years back. There is an application called DVDXCOPY Express by 321 studios. Normally what happens, is when you duplicate a copyrighted disc with it, it removes the copyright, duplicates the disc for you. Then it adds a splash screen, and adds its own copyright protection(s). So you can’t duplicate the duplicate. Either with the same software or any other DVD burning software…[/QUOTE]

That’s ingenious my friend. I own DVDXCOPY and [I]think[/I] I may even have it still installed on one of my systems.

Would it be too much to ask for you to explain to me how you go about editing/patching the ISO image to remove or change the splash screen? I’d love to try this out. Thanks!

-Tim

I’ve finally finished this project (you can see why I want to protect it) and am ready to try this method to copy-protect it and had one final quick question …

Once I use DVDXCOPY Express and the 321GONE patch to remove the 321 Studios Backup screen, can I then transfer the VIDEO_TS directories to another computer for burning using other software (like IMG BURN)? Or does DVDXCOPY Express implement the CP during the burn? Anyone know?

I ask because the computer I have Express installed on has a much older DVD-R drive in it, and I’m concerned I will get bad burns with the newer/faster media I have to use. So I was hoping I could just burn the image using my other system with a much newer/compatible drive. Or is there not usually an issue with new media in older drives?

Thanks for any help!

-Tim

[QUOTE=timoteo;2227557]I’ve finally finished this project (you can see why I want to protect it) and am ready to try this method to copy-protect it and had one final quick question …

Once I use DVDXCOPY Express and the 321GONE patch to remove the 321 Studios Backup screen, can I then transfer the VIDEO_TS directories to another computer for burning using other software (like IMG BURN)? Or does DVDXCOPY Express implement the CP during the burn? Anyone know?

I ask because the computer I have Express installed on has a much older DVD-R drive in it, and I’m concerned I will get bad burns with the newer/faster media I have to use. So I was hoping I could just burn the image using my other system with a much newer/compatible drive. Or is there not usually an issue with new media in older drives?

Thanks for any help!

-Tim[/QUOTE]Did you have any luck?

This will never work, sad but true.

[QUOTE=chef;2232293]This will never work, sad but true.[/QUOTE]yeah and copy protections were made to be broken :iagree:

[QUOTE=Bob;2232264]Did you have any luck?[/QUOTE]

It depends on what you meant I had luck with …

After extensive testing (trying a few different things) I can tell you with utmost certainty that the only way to get the copy-protection is to burn it using Xpress. Transferring the files and burning on another computer or using other software does not permit the disc to inherit the CP attributes that Xpress places on the disc somehow. Xpress does it during the burn – maybe some kind of overburn or corrupt data written in the right place … don’t know.

However, once burned with Xpress it is impossible to make a copy by conventional means, which is exactly what I wanted. Most, if not all, of the people getting these are 90% computer illiterate. They would have no clue boards like these existed. IF they have CD/DVD copying software, it is whatever came with their computers or something off the shelf which is NOT going to be able to copy it. Neither is a standalone, especially since it sets a Copyrighted flag on the DVD too, so I doubt a standalone would get past that at all.

Using sophisticated tools (like most people on here use), sure, you can crack it I have no doubt. ANYTHING can be cracked and copied. What this does is prevent the lay-person from making casual copies for friends, relatives, etc. It is EXACTLY what many of us producing small run DVD try to prevent.

I never did get 321Gone.exe to properly remove the backup screen. But I just used IFOEdit and removed it manually. It was a piece of cake and took a few seconds each time after the first time. I still used 321Gone to automatically replace the “archive.txt” file with a zero-byte file however. (Just because it was a few-click solution.)

It’s a little bit of a pain in the butt having to keep re-“backing-up” (i.e. inserting and copying the master disc over-and-over), but it’s worth it if you’re trying to protect your bottom line.

Hope that info helps!

Best,
Tim

[QUOTE=chef;2232293]This will never work, sad but true.[/QUOTE]

It does, it really does. Completely foolproof (as mentioned above)? No, but of course NOTHING is when it comes to CP really. Ultimately, it makes DVD player-friendly discs that are a PITA for the average-Joe to copy.

-Tim

PS> I didn’t try using CloneDVD (doh!) (or other 1:1 software) to make multiple copies, and thus streamline the process. That [I]might[/I] work. I’ll try that next time … whenever that may be.

I’m glad it worked for you. I think 1:1 copies will work with the protected disc(s).

I have used DVDDecrypter to bypass the 321 studios protection, so it is nothing special. But it will definitly stop the lay person from just popping it in the drive and copying it.

[QUOTE=bjd223;2237879]I’m glad it worked for you. I think 1:1 copies will work with the protected disc(s).

I have used DVDDecrypter to bypass the 321 studios protection, so it is nothing special. But it will definitly stop the lay person from just popping it in the drive and copying it.[/QUOTE]

I have yet to see this happen as chef said
"This will never work, sad but true. "

Only way I see this made impossible is the cd/dvd games protection that is the only protection that is currently no possible to backup or copy or duplicate. If news reading is right 321 studios was given the court paper to stop making their software and the judge enforced the MPAA judgment. So 321 is no longer for sale. So I don’t think 321 no longer works on newer DVD movies.