(Yet another) Which Two Drives to Get?

vbimport

I currently have a pair of drives;

1: NEC ND-2500A (DVD Writer) &
2: Toshiba SD-M1502 (DVD ROM)

I have been having problems with the NEC coastering DVDs halfway through. I was looking at getting a new a pair of sata DVD writers, and was wondering what the recommendations were?

Ideally I am after two drives which for fill the following roles between them;

Good Reader;
Damaged/scratched/dirty media
Fast DVD Extraction
Fast CD Extraction
Imaging protected media

Good Writer
High quality writes with low error rates
The type of thing that used to be known as a 3 sheep burner

Quiet DVD Reading
If i am playing a DVD, i don’t want to think I have a jet winding up in the same room

I was thinking something like;

1: Sony / NEC / Optiarc AD-7201S ? - seems to get generally good comments.
2: ??? ?

Suggestions / thoughts? - thanks

I would get an Optiarc AD-7200S now, and then wait just a little longer for the Lite-On iHAS322 to be released. That combo would be perfect.

Agree with negritude :iagree:

I’d have said an Optiarc 72xxA/S or a Samsung 203x, but that model of Sammy seems a little thin on the ground now :frowning:

Thanks, so which boxes would the Optiarc 7201 tick then?

Also is it physically the same drive as the 7200/7202 just with labelflash support?

& What boxes would the Lite-on tick?

[QUOTE=nb-;2134215]Thanks, so which boxes would the Optiarc 7201 tick then?

Also is it physically the same drive as the 7200/7202 just with labelflash support?

& What boxes would the Lite-on tick?[/QUOTE]

Both drives would tick ALL the boxes, with the Optiarc being the better writer, but the Lite-On having the additional functionality of quality scanning, should you ever need it or be asked to do it. Both drives together make the perfect combo. Also, some do think that the Lite-Ons tend to be noisy, but this model hasn’t been released yet, so we have no idea how it actual sounds.

Yes, the 7200, 7201, and 7203 are all the same drive. The only differences are Lightscribe and Labelflash for the 7201 and 7203, respectively.

Thanks Negritude.

I did have an lite-on ages ago, and that really did sound like a jet engine!