Yet another hardware problem - think that mobo is causing freezing on PC

vbimport

I don’t believe my luck… it’s one thing after another.

Just got a new mobo and have gone about installing Windows. It kept freezing during installation and I had to reset several times. Finally got it installed but always freezes or resets again in Windows.

So before I send it back, is there anything that I can do to make sure that it is in fact the mobo? Could the BIOS just need updating? It’s a P4 though and I think there’s something about the BIOS being autoupdated with them or something, not sure how that would work.

All the other bits worked on another mobo before this one.  Also, if I do get another one that's identical, I take it I wouldn't' need to reinstall again?

Help!

My best guess is it’s a bad sector on the hdd. I remember that when ever i had freezes during installation it was a bad sector. HDD Regenerator would cure that.

Or,you did not install the cpu fan correctly :confused: i am guessing it’s over heating. you’ve got to make sure it has good contact. P4’s scary to install since you have to push on the diagonals, etc.

Also, how are the ide cables i know you might encounter problems if you mix up the cd (red connector to the mobo) one with the hard drive (blue conector to the mobo) one. What mobo and what windows.

I included HDD regen Unzip all, move the rar parts to one folder unrar, insert a blank floppy, run the exe. Put in the floppy boot from floppy drive and choose the hard drive to scan.

Part1.zip (186 KB)

Part2.zip (186 KB)

part3.zip (103 KB)

Thanks, I’ll get on it.

I checked the CPU temp BTW - not rising above 50 degrees C.

Welcomed and just by the way, my p4 530 3.0G is 44C under FULL load with stock cooling… But 50 should be fine since the shut off is about 75 if i remember

EDIT: The 3 ancient floppies that I have are all not being registered as existing. Any way that I can make it on a bootable CD (or DVD - I’ve got plenty of cheap ones to get rid of)? Or run it in Windows (if it only takes a few mins)?

Mobo is Asus P4PE-X, Windows XP.

[QUOTE=Matthew12222;2005694]
Also, how are the ide cables i know you might encounter problems if you mix up the cd (red connector to the mobo) one with the hard drive (blue conector to the mobo) one.[/quote]Sorry, what do you mean by that?

Well i am not sure what hard drives you have or dvd drives. but the ide cables might be different. I know that on most of todays hard drive ide’s have a break in the 66th wire (assuming it is an 80wire) and a blue connector to the mother board. which is different from the cd/dvd cables which don’t have the break and have a red connector that should go into the mother board. If they’re sata’s forgot all this. that’s one interesting mobo. seems nice tho

man, you ought to buy a lottery ticket or something, all this bad luck you’ve been having lately can’t last forever :eek:

you can use hdd tune to scan for bad sectors from windows, but I’m not sure that is your problem… it could be, but I’m leaning more towards the ram being bad or the new mobo defaulting the timings/voltages too low or the speed too high and making them run out of spec. check the timings, speed, and voltage in your bios and make sure it agrees with what the manufacturer recommends, then burn memtest86 to a cd and run that for an hour or so (longer would be better, but anytime I’ve had bad memory its showed up in 15min or less)

http://www.memtest.org/

@ Matthew: The cables are the same as my old PC and in the same drives. Can’t be that.

[QUOTE=jwill427;2005917]man, you ought to buy a lottery ticket or something, all this bad luck you’ve been having lately can’t last forever :eek:

you can use hdd tune to scan for bad sectors from windows, but I’m not sure that is your problem… it could be, but I’m leaning more towards the ram being bad or the new mobo defaulting the timings/voltages too low or the speed too high and making them run out of spec. check the timings, speed, and voltage in your bios and make sure it agrees with what the manufacturer recommends, then burn memtest86 to a cd and run that for an hour or so (longer would be better, but anytime I’ve had bad memory its showed up in 15min or less)

http://www.memtest.org/[/QUOTE]Thanks, I swapped the RAM from another PC so it can’t be that - checked all the settings in the BIOS - they all appear fine but then I’m no expert. How would I know what is different from what the manufacturer recommends?

Talking of bad luck, the other PC which was cable of burning has now died for no apparent reason. I’m going to have to swap over yet more drives and install burning software on the only working PC - this one - before I can even get started. Then I have the problem of getting that other one fixed.

If only I had the cash, I’d just buy 3 new PCs outright FFS.:doh::sad:

Oops, read ‘capable of burning’ in that link there.

OK, it’d definably not the HDD. I just tried an install on the old mobo and no problem at all - even took SP2 quite happily.

Therefore, the only thing that may be fixable is fiddling around with BIOS settings? Could it be remedied do you think?

if the hardware is all good, then that’s the only thing left to try :confused: