Yet another 8cm media issue!

well, first post… hope that i’m not duplicating anything. i’ve searched all over these forums for anything resembling my problem. along the way, i enjoyed lots of the info here and grabbed a nice bitsetting firmware for my brand new ND-3540A – how cool! :smiley: thanks to the contributors here.

however… i began this search because my first ever burn attempt was using some Sony DVD-R 1.4 GB (80 mm/3 inch) media. Now, i’m living in Shanghai, and these were pretty cheap, just under $1 apiece with cases, so I have no doubt that this is fake Sony media. ^^;; it’s possible it’s not, theoretically, since Sony does manufacture a lot of stuff here. However, I did check the media info :

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:SKC Co.,Ltd.]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [SKC Co. Ltd.]
Manufacturer ID : [SKC Co.,Ltd.]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

I dunno who SKC Ltd is, but notice the other problem??? 4.71 GB media? that’s only 80 mm in diameter??

So, I got into all this because when burning with Nero, I get almost immediately an error – Power Calibration Error. The buffer never even loads anything. Now I have noticed a few posts in here complaining about this error, and the response is always “try different media”. I have, I tried some regular 120 mm stuff (8x verbatim dvd-r) and it worked great, even burned at 12x! i copied all the data back to my hdd, to be sure. But, I’m not certain I’m going to be able to find lots of other brands (certainly none BETTER) of 80 mm media here.Plus, the reported disk capactiy (says the same thing in Nero and Alcohol) has me weirded out… is there some setting i need to tick somewhere, perhaps, to indicate that it’s 80 mm media? Any advice for working with the stuff? Thanks for your time! =D