Yamaha CRW8424E

i recently installed my yamaha crw8424e drive in my packard bell and the bios see’s the drive but windows 98 won’t pick it up through pnp. I had it on Xp system and it picked it up fine. i called yamaha and they said there are no drivers and it should see it just fine if it is in bios…any suggestions?

aw come on nobody has any suggestions or any type of help??? i need answers! lol

Which IDE channel is the drive attached to, and is it master or slave?

Also, you might want to try making a Win98 bootable floppy disk. Boot from that and put a data CD in the drive. See if you can at least see the files on the disc.

BTW, the main point of this test is to make sure that the computer really is recognizing the drive properly.

If you need help with these steps, post back and I will post more detailed instructions.

The bios sees the model only as a name. It recognizes only from its firmware. Since the bios recognizes it, this doesn’t mean that it will operate with Windows too!
You need to have the proper driver for win95/98 (comes with istallation disk in original package, or download it).
Did you try “Hardware installation” manually? During installation if the driver is not found automatically, it will be asked from you. Then you either say “search in the internet” or you provide specific Floppy or CD. Win95/98 are not really plug-n-play.
Why don’t you try Windows 2000 for better? It will be found all-automatically !

Originally posted by pasalimanius
[B]You need to have the proper driver for win95/98 (comes with istallation disk in original package, or download it).

Win95 and 98 don’t need extra drivers; all necessary drivers are present in the operating system.

Originally posted by pasalimanius
Win95/98 are not really plug-n-play.
Why don’t you try Windows 2000 for better? It will be found all-automatically !

Actually, Win95 and 98 will automatically detect any optical drives and set them up automatically; at least, they will if the OS and the drive are working properly.

Jwil04: Another possibility is that the IDE cable is defective. You might want to try another one.

Yes. Normally, WIn 95/98 are plug-n-play OS too! But

1. this “first time” plug-n-play was not perfect. Windows2000/ME/XP are really plug-n-play.
  2. The drive is manufactured AFTER win95/98 were written. So it is likely that they don’t includ the driver in their database.

SO, the OS will understand the drive of course, but it will see it as ATAPI IDE device (CD-ROM) probably. That’s why i said a driver will be probably needed.

Of course there is a posibility of defect cable. But this should self-understandably have been checked first, before we speak for other possible problems.

A question that the user should answer, is: “Can he/she use the drive as a normal CD-ROM with no problem?” (not as writer, as a simple cd drive). If not, there in no drive letter in his/her “My Computer” window. Then “there is no cd-r drive installed at all” !

Also the user in problem, should try this:
To remove ALL other devices (hard disks, cd-roms etc.) from his system, and leave only the basic HD in one cable (Primary) and the YAMAHA CD-R on the other. Should be only two devices - one on each cable. Both devices should be on “Master” (jumpers) or even better on “AUTO” positions.
With new cables! Or try to change the cables between eachother: The cable of HD now connect to the CD-R and vice versa. So you can verify if there is a cable defect.
If cables are good, and with only TWO devices (one on each cable) you still don’t “see” the drive, then it is surely a bios or software problem. Only after solving the problem, add the other drives (additional HD or CD-ROM) back to the IDE channels.

Another idea: Did you try with the “DMA” option in BIOS disabled?

Disabling DMA would be a good diagnostic option, but the burner won’t actually be able to be used at its maximum speed that way.

what should i say more? It’s still a mystery to me that the YAMAHA technicians themselves said to our friend to check cabling! They didn’t mention any other cause !?