Yamaha CRW-F1. What's your opinion about full-CAV?

vbimport

At long last, CRW-F1 has arrived !

"With the CRW-F1, Yamaha has taken this a step further and implemented Full-CAV writing technology. The drive starts writing at about 19x and smoothly accelerates, reaching 44x at the end of the session. The drive's average writing speed of 32.88x puts it right where you'd expect it to be, right in between most of the 40x and 48x writers."

So, what do you think about CRW-F1 in general and their full-CAV in particular ?

cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4434

Their full-CAV is nothing else than LiteOns full-cav (except that liteon is 22x-48x, not 19x-44x).

Writing pictures to the recorded side might be a nice toy, but, as always with yamaha, its price is far beyond what I’d consider reasonable. But 24x rewriting is fast, although the needed ultra speed media will cause hundreds of questions as the introduction of high speed media did before (“why does my 4x rewriter not write to 4x-10x high speed media” => “why does my 10x rewriter not write to 10x-24x ultra speed media…” )

Another detailed test is http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=YAMAHA+CRW-F1E+CD-RW&Series=0

Hmm :confused: Isn’t it vice versa ?

What can be vice versa between one full cav and another one?

LiteOn’s full-CAV is nothing else than Yamaha’s full-cav

Don’t you agree ? Or you seem to forget who comes first ?
Just get to the root of it then.

Ah, now I know what you’re aiming at…

I read the CDR-Info review and it seems like a very boring and mediocre drive…
The DiscT@2 thingy looks funky but that doesn’t justify the price…
And no write speeds between 16x-44x… that is real crappy!

Then read the other test. The cdrlabs test is a small joke…

We live in 2002, in a time where everyone can do his C1 scans at home! I do not only want a writer to complete a cd in 2:30 (as the avg PC-Welt or Computer Bild reader does), but I also want good discs. A test without C1 scans is not worth the web space it occupies. It’s pure lazyness not to performe such scans.

I see you may have the need to be a control freak when it comes to selecting speeds between 16x-44x. but you would only need to do so if you use media that is like say 24x. but in this case YAMAHA will let the drive decide what is best about 16x speeds. it comes down to reliablity of the data. not the chance of forcing it to make error’s.

~Smokey
Editor @ www.Geeklab.net

Originally posted by Airhead
I read the CDR-Info review and it seems like a very boring and mediocre drive…
The DiscT@2 thingy looks funky but that doesn’t justify the price…
And no write speeds between 16x-44x… that is real crappy!

I was waiting for the CRW-F1 review before I made a decision on buying the Lite-on 48x12x48x.

Well, I have decided to buy the
Lite-On.

I think cdrw manufacturers need to be very concerned about the price point…I am very happy with my liteon drives excellent overall quality for reading and writing…solid builds…my 40x O/Ced to 48x is built better than my 24102B which has been a flawless drive to date…

does 48x writing produce ?? damaged sectors according to Nero CD speed which I am not convinced is a good judge of true quality(how can the same drive see an error then not…did it disappear or just all of sudden develop)

I think media quality at 40x and up is borderline at best…the taiwan factories just are not very good…my 40x TY are good at 40x but 48x …I get maybe an error here other…

I think these issue are mute I would bet the cd will age bad before the data is lost because of these errors…just my opinion

I do not think Yahama has a drive ie 44/24/44 that justifies it s current price…In fact while I think plextors are awesome drives had a plex 120132…fast reliable , quiet etc…the price is just too high …the tech changes too fast to justify it…