Yamaha CRW-F1 AMQR and DiscT@2 enabled burning Software

vbimport

[QUOTE=IpseDixit;2191671]I’m a Premium II lover too, but there must be a
difference between F1’s AAMQR and PII’s AMQR.[/QUOTE]
This link is very interesting I think:
http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/tech/aam_01.asp

If I understood it correctly AMQR only supports 4x and can be used with 74 minute or 80 minute media. This feature is available with the CRW3200, CRW2200 and maybe the CRW70.
AAMQR supports 1x, 4x and 8x and can be used with media up to 99min. This is only available with the CRW-F1.

I never tried a 99min media with the Premium II to see if it works. The Premium II does not supports 1x and 8x with PlexTools XL/LE. If I remember correctly Burnsama or jamescooly made a AMQR 1x burn with Plextools Pro 2.36. It must be somewhere in the Pemium <-> Premium II compare thread.

[QUOTE=IpseDixit;2191671]Bob, your scans are a good start to compare
both features, I installed WOCD in Vista and
everything worked ok.[/QUOTE]
You installed WinOnCD 6.x on Vista 32 with no problems wow… such old software and no compatibility issues… :bow:

I have had much better luck with AMQR using my F1 at 8x than with my Premium II at 4x and the same TY CD-R’s. If the F1 could scan then i think it would blow away the Premiums. I have no regrets buying this F1.

I need to compare some burns without using AMQR and my Premiums (I & II) .vs Yamaha F1. Would like to see input from you guys also on all this :bow:

Member jamescooley1 needs to buy a Yamaha F1 … hint hint :smiley:

Hi all.

Thanks to Bob and Truong’s help I was able to measure
the resolution of a maximum size DiscT@2 (radius 25.00
to 56.90, that’s width 31.90). According to the spec,
CD has an outer diameter of 120 mm, this diameter
is perfectly covered when inserting a 1200 x 1200
square in DiscT@2 Editor, so 10 pixels from the
graphic fit in 1 mm on the disc. The problem is
that surely to make the complete circumference
visible in most used display resolutions, editors
visually shrink inserted graphics in a significative
percentage. I don’t like destructive resizings and I
like to work under 1:1 scale, so I decided to create
my designs outside of the burning software using a
custom template and then insert the result into them.
I want to share the template with all DiscT@2 users so… enjoy.

http://perfectrip.cdfreaks.com/DiscT@2_template_by_ID.rar

Thank you IpseDixit.

:slight_smile: Working on it.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2199385]:slight_smile: Working on it.[/QUOTE]That’s up to you Jim. I got lucky with negritude finding this one. I just thought about you because you have some older CD-R’s to try out. I know they go for a lot on ebay :doh:

I wish they could quality scan…

OK, so I already have two Plextor Premiums, but have decided to branch out and grab a couple of other classic CD-R burners. I recently acquired a Lite-On LTR-52327S v2 and a Yamaha CRW-F1UX. Both of these are used drives that were super cheap, so I’m not expecting much. So far, I actually like the Lite-On better, as it burns with low jitter, even on cheap CMC media.

The main issue I have with the Yamaha is the fact, already alluded to here, that it doesn’t have anything akin to QSuite, SmartBurn, or PlexTools, where it’s settings can be tuned independent of the software you’re using. Everything with the Yamaha is application dependent, and I tend not to like that, especially because I do most of my real burning with Toast under OS X, and only use my PCs for testing and firmware upgrading. So, getting the Yamaha to do it’s best is going to be more of an issue for me. Thank goodness it only cost me $30.

Nice burner except the jitter is a bit high. Similar C1 as Plex Premiums with most of the media I have used. I have to agree with negritude it would have been nice if they had their own burning S.W.

I wonder if the firmware on the F1s is protected like it is on the Premiums, and if not, can someone write a program to enable AMQR and disable Optimal Writespeed Control (OWC), so that these can be set in firmware and make the drive application independent.

Also, I only have Nero Express 7.11.10.0, and it unfortunately doesn’t have AMQR or DiscT@2 support like the full Nero version does. Sigh.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2228091]Nice burner except the jitter is a bit high. Similar C1 as Plex Premiums with most of the media I have used.[/QUOTE]

Yes, without AMQR enabled, the jitter tends to be much higher than any of my burners. And, if you don’t use Nero to disable OWC, there is no 24x or 32x burning. I’m not sure what the logic behind that decision was. You go from 16x to 44x, with nothing in between.

I can see that the Yamaha has the potential to be an awesome burner when configured correctly, but it doesn’t work as well out of the box the way the Plextor or Lite-On CD burners do. I understand why Yamaha left the market so quickly, because frankly, this drive is only for the hard-core enthusiast and pro market. A Plextor Premium/Premium2 could keep both the pro and the newbie happy, so it had a bigger market to swim in, while the Yamaha only appealed to a tiny niche market, and that wasn’t enough to sustain it.

So you two are not getting decent results like i am? My Premiums I & II don’t like my Imation CMC blanks. My F1 did really good with them at most all speeds except one i believe.

I know Jim is used to burning AMQR with his Premium II and i noticed the F1 handles it a lot better to me anyway. I don’t recall seeing negritude using a Premium I & II?

It would be nice if someone could write an app for AAMQR, DiscT@2, and OWC. I think IpseDixit at one time was thinking about it?

I hate having Nero on my machine too… so far i haven’t had any problems with 7.11.10.0 yet.

oh by the way have either of you used DiscT@2 yet with the F1?

I would like to see some scans when you both have time to post a few.

I do not dislike it just my premiums have lower jitter, the jitter is ok with the F1. Great C1 max. and avg. I have a few scans of that MIJ TDK. I will post as soon as the smoke clears from all the burns:). I have not tried the labeling feature yet.

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2228464]I do not dislike it just my premiums have lower jitter, the jitter is ok with the F1. Great C1 max. and avg. I have a few scans of that MIJ TDK. I will post as soon as the smoke clears from all the burns:)[/QUOTE]:smiley: :bigsmile: take your time :iagree: the TDK MIJ’s are those 4x i believe?

[QUOTE=Bob;2228447]So you two are not getting decent results like i am? My Premiums I & II don’t like my Imation CMC blanks. My F1 did really good with them at most all speeds except one i believe.[/QUOTE]

There’s nothing wrong with the drive, it just burns with higher jitter without AMQR turned on, which is how I’ve been testing it. Why don’t you do some testing with AMQR=OFF and OWC=ON so we can see if you notice a difference?

I don’t own a full version of Nero. I’m a Linux and OS X user at home, so I don’t buy much PC software for myself (my PCs are for testing, firmware updates, acting as servers, and work-related training). I have Nero Express 7.11.10.0, which is good enough for my everyday use, but it doesn’t have the menu options that allow the enabling of AMQR like the full version does. I haven’t bothered hassling with installing something else yet, just to get the drive to work like it’s supposed to.

Here are my scans with and without AAMQR http://club.cdfreaks.com/f107/post-your-yamaha-crw-f1-cd-r-w-recorder-scsi-ide-scans-here-260830/

ya you can turn on and off OWC with Nero Express but no way to use AAMQR so… :doh:

O…M…F…G! I just got a shock! I was so used to things being unsupported under OS X, that I didn’t even bother to check to make sure that Toast didn’t handle the F1. I always hook my new burners up to my PC first, to test and do firmware updates, but I’ve just now gotten around to checking out how it works on the Mac side. Surprise, surprise, surprise! Toast 8 Titanium, which is what I use the most, supports DiscT@2 and has advanced settings controls for OWC and AAMQR! Lawd ha’mercy! :o

In Toast 8, DiscT@2 is directly under the Recorder menu, and there are two checkboxes for OWC and AAMQR under Recorder -> Recorder Settings -> Yamaha CRW-F1E. One checkbox says “Use Optimum Write Speed Control” and the other says “Record High Quality Audio” (that means AAMQR). :clap:

Incredible. I’m so embarassed. I just assumed, after doing some research, that Toast hadn’t carried forward it’s support of the Yamaha, after the special version that was released with it back in the day. Turns out they did keep the support. Thank goodness. :bow:

[QUOTE=negritude;2228625]O…M…F…G! I just got a shock! I was so used to things being unsupported under OS X, that I didn’t even bother to check to make sure that Toast didn’t handle the F1. I always hook my new burners up to my PC first, to test and do firmware updates, but I’ve just now gotten around to checking out how it works on the Mac side. Surprise, surprise, surprise! Toast 8 Titanium, which is what I use the most, supports DiscT@2 and has advanced settings controls for OWC and AAMQR! Lawd ha’mercy! :o

In Toast 8, DiscT@2 is directly under the Recorder menu, and there are two checkboxes for OWC and AAMQR under Recorder -> Recorder Settings -> Yamaha CRW-F1E. One checkbox says “Use Optimum Write Speed Control” and the other says “Record High Quality Audio” (that means AAMQR). :clap:

Incredible. I’m so embarassed. I just assumed, after doing some research, that Toast hadn’t carried forward it’s support of the Yamaha, after the special version that was released with it back in the day. Turns out they did keep the support. Thank goodness. :bow:[/QUOTE]kewls :cool: that will be helpful for future members to see :smiley:

So what model do you (negritude and Jim) guys have exactly? There are 5 models http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/products/cdrw/spec_crwf1.asp

Mine is the CRW-F1ZS/ZSN SCSI-3

Also negritude it does state that ROXIO TOAST® 5 LITE(MAC) works with the F1’s
ROXIO TOAST® 5 LITE(MAC): Get more out of your CD burner. Burn and share your music, data, photos and videos on CD with drag and drop simplicity … on this page http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/products/cdrw/crwf1.asp#

[quote=bob;2229587]so what model do you (negritude and jim) guys have exactly? There are 5 models http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/products/cdrw/spec_crwf1.asp

mine is the crw-f1zs/zsn scsi-3

also negritude it does state that roxio toast® 5 lite(mac) works with the f1’s
roxio toast® 5 lite(mac): Get more out of your cd burner. Burn and share your music, data, photos and videos on cd with drag and drop simplicity … On this page http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/products/cdrw/crwf1.asp#[/quote]
crwf1zux usb, wierd no upper case although I typed it in upper case. I thought AMQR was automatic if you record @8x or less?

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2229592]I thought AMQR was automatic if you record @8x or less?[/QUOTE]dunno Jim so far i’ve always made sure it is turned on when i wanted to use it for my testing.

I found this interesting :bigsmile: http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/tech/demo_aam.htm

[QUOTE=jamescooley1;2229592]crwf1zux usb[/QUOTE]Kind of wished i had the Firewire/USB 2.0 model (CRW-F1ZDX).