Xvid or h264?

I am currently encoding for a media server, and want to load my video in an mkv container. I see one has the option of xvid or h264. They each have a different default for video bit rates. My questions was is there one that has a better quality over the other if I display the encoded video on a large a screen?

For a given bitrate, H264. The encoder (DVDFab) and decoder have to work harder, but it looks better.

Signals if I increase the digital bit rate from the defualt mode by to much, is there a chance that the colors will appear oversaturated?

These encodings I am making would be for a 110" HDTV image. So if for a given bit rate H264 looks better than divx, is there a maximum bit rate one can set up before you get diminishing returns?

I am currently encoding a 2:35 to 1 aspect ratio movie. In Generic I select the generic mkv.h264.audiocopy profile. The default bit rate is gives me is 769 kbps. How much higher if any will help in keeping the image quality for a 110" screen?

I also see the default frame resolution going to be 704 X 304. Since my screen can support 1920 X 180 should I increase this as well to something closer to my display resolution?

Thanks

Holy smoke, that’s a BIG TV! For that to look good, you probably should use the decrypted VOB files from the original. But no, the bitrate has no effect on the saturation, hue, or luminance (brightness) of the video. Try around 2500 Mbps with your test conversion. Yes, your picture will be better with a larger encoded screen size, but select one that has the same aspect ratio. You originally asked about xvid vs. H264, and the answer I gave was based on that. DivX is another matter all together, and DivX 7 looks very nice (it uses H264HD). Send me that TV and I will carefully test all available codecs and file formats, should not take more than a year. :slight_smile:

Kinda hard to mail it to ya? :smiley:

Maybe when Fegtao comes out with his official DVDFab HD one can do DIVX 7.

Man, that is sooooo fine! [B]ENVY[/B] (green with envy) Maineman has to see this, he needs one like it in the new house they will be building soon down here near me.

This is where my media server play’s it’s movies. I call it “The Screening Room”. Currently I am using a WD TV with 2TB of vob files, but the WD TV has trouble when you Fast Forward or Reverse a vob file. mkv have no issues so this is why I was going to try some vob in an mkv container.

Might I suggest you try just fixing the time codes on the MPEG2 stream instead:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/american-gangster-dvdmobile-vob-copy-stream-ps3-251241/#post2115898

Re-encoding to H264 or Xvid will almost always result in degraded image quality. This is especially true with DVDFab because it is geared toward mobile devices and processing speed rather than image quality. Even if you could tune DVDFab for home theater use, retaining image quality requires great amounts of processor power and time.

The question is, why are you trying to use MKV specifically? It is popular on the Internet because the videos need to be compressed for sharing. If all you want to do is retain DVD features like chapters and subtitles then I’d suggest investing in a playback device that will play the DVD folder or ISO directly (i.e. Popcorn Hour).

Just my $0.02

[QUOTE=Complication;2203354]Might I suggest you try just fixing the time codes on the MPEG2 stream instead:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/american-gangster-dvdmobile-vob-copy-stream-ps3-251241/#post2115898

Re-encoding to H264 or Xvid will almost always result in degraded image quality. This is especially true with DVDFab because it is geared toward mobile devices and processing speed rather than image quality. Even if you could tune DVDFab for home theater use, retaining image quality requires great amounts of processor power and time.

The question is, why are you trying to use MKV specifically? It is popular on the Internet because the videos need to be compressed for sharing. If all you want to do is retain DVD features like chapters and subtitles then I’d suggest investing in a playback device that will play the DVD folder or ISO directly (i.e. Popcorn Hour).

Just my $0.02[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your response.

The issue with the WD TV I am having with vob files is not so much a/v sync, but unable to fast forward or reverse to a specific scene. I am able to fast forward & reverse, but when you get to the scene you wanted and select play it jumps to a totally different scene. This has more to do with the media server than the encoding. This issue does not happen with mkv files nor avi files which is why I was trying to use those files instead. However as it’s being pointed out here the resolution of those files is not the same as a vob.

Solution you suggest of PCH A-110 is on my list to look at. My understanding is this device does not have this issue with vob files. I don’t care about have a complete iso working, since all I want is the movie with any surround sound and forced subtitles. I rather save the space.

The PCH is my understanding is more of a streamer. I know you can put your own internal hard drive in it, but I am not sure if it can take any external drives via usb or firwire. I only watch my movies in one room, so streaming is not a big benifit for me. I also don’t care for having a PC on in another room everytime I want to watch a movie.

Now if I can connect an external drive directly to a router and beam it to the PCH I might consider that.(By-pass having to have a PC on). I have not looked to see if I can do that.

I suggest you give it a try. Time codes may be used for seek operations too. The PCH has the same problem with FF and then play on files with weird time codes but can jump via percentage perfectly (PCH has quick keys for 10%, 20%, etc).

[quote=DREAMLINER;2203678]
Solution you suggest of PCH A-110 is on my list to look at. My understanding is this device does not have this issue with vob files. I don’t care about have a complete iso working, since all I want is the movie with any surround sound and forced subtitles. I rather save the space.

The PCH is my understanding is more of a streamer. I know you can put your own internal hard drive in it, but I am not sure if it can take any external drives via usb or firwire. I only watch my movies in one room, so streaming is not a big benifit for me. I also don’t care for having a PC on in another room everytime I want to watch a movie.

Now if I can connect an external drive directly to a router and beam it to the PCH I might consider that.(By-pass having to have a PC on). I have not looked to see if I can do that.[/quote]

PCH will play from NAS via SMB/NFS/UPNP, internal drive, or external USB drive/stick. I don’t use the feature but I believe that with an internal drive installed you can push things to the PCH over the network.

Not sure if it is worth it if you already have a WD. The problem I see with the WD device is finding support for MPEG2 + AC3 + subtitles. VOB files don’t support subtitles without DVD structure (IFO). MKV and Divx files support subtitles but don’t support MPEG2. M2TS files supposidly support all three but I haven’t seen a working demonstration yet.