XviD is superb

It now has Q-Pel support, B-Frame support (2 of the things keeping people away from it), a better ME algorithm than any DivX version, and better rate control than DivX 5 (none of this sissy “Dual-Pass Leaky Bucket stuff”… urgh).

It also lets you use custom quant matrices, so you can tweak to your hearts extent! (I got a 512 by something (fits aspect ratio) rip of LOTR to look good on one CD using them).

What do you-all think?

And alexnoe, isn’t forcing B-Frames into AVI just spectacular?
:wink:

I like XviD, very nice quality, and legal as opposed to DivX 3.11.
I have no idea what B-frames does, and I don’t really care if I can’t see it… :slight_smile:

B-frames are frames which require the frame before and the frame after to be decompressed first. Such a requirement is not allowed in AVI files…but these trolls forgot to invent a new container format for divx5, xvid and the such.

where can this new version be obtained?

Originally posted by belgarath
where can this new version be obtained?

Some very very weird place on the internet which is very very hidden and absolutely secret…

The Xvid site give you the Source code only, if want an installable codec, get them from http://roeder.goe.net/~koepi/xvid.shtml

Thnx ChickenMan :bow: thats just what I wanted as, as you said, the xvid.org site only has source code :frowning:

Think I’'ll bookmark that site :slight_smile:

Well, I have seen all kinds of Divx 3/4/5 and Orb and Xivd (and svcd) and those Xvid’s I have seen are not better than a good DivX encode - some look o.k. others are blocky.

Some Divx 3 / 5.02 encodes done properly look absolutely stunning - almost dvd - I have not seen an Xvid look quite as good.

Ice’y

DivX 3.11 rulez!

Originally posted by ExpertTech
DivX 3.11 rulez!

In a word: Bah!

DivX 3.11 preproccesses the video, “cheating”, and is block-a-lishis. A properly done XviD rip looks at least as good, and many times better.

Actually I haven’t gone down to the advanced settings of XVid, but to me - if an equivalent bitrate XVid and DivX 3.11 are seen together - the DivX 3.11 variety looks much better. You see I’m not carrying out a systematic test, but I have noticed this in many video clippings of varying quality - Video captures (Uncompressed AVI and MPG), Video CDs, DVDs etc. On the whole DivX 3.11 looks better to me. However XVid may be theoretically better as you said (no ‘cheating’ n other ways to get around).

Co-incidentally many users of doom9.org also prefer DivX 3.11 (at least as opposed to DivX 5). But have to say that this situation was a few days (maybe months) back. XVid is an improving codec. Like OGG, its improving by the day. But has to still prove its dominance (as OGG has to do over Musepack in the audio world). So till that day comes, Im gonna stick with DivX 3.11 :slight_smile:

(as OGG has to do over Musepack in the audio world).

But Vorbis is intended for low-bitrates/streaming. It beats Muspack down there.

But Vorbis is intended for low-bitrates/streaming. It beats Muspack down there

Agreed OGG is great for low bitrates. But as far as transparent music is concerned, no one touches Musepack :slight_smile:

Koepi’s XviD, new build, 09.11.2002 up.

http://roeder.goe.net/~koepi/index.shtml

Saturday, 09.11.2002
16:15h MET
Many improvements made it into the xvid developer branch, e.g. YV12 decoding support (for “plain YV12 colour space transcoding” testing over at doom9’s). It’s faster than DivX5’s YV12 decoding support! :slight_smile:

Monday, 04.11.2002
14:45h MET
XviD development is progressing in huge steps: sysKin implemented some GMC additions and a chroma(colour)-based motion estimation refinement routine. That’s all experimental, so as usual use the developer build only if you know what you’re doing!

Sunday, 03.11.2002
21:45h MET
New unstable XviD build up: some cleanups, GMC decoding support,…

Saturday, 02.11.2002
23:45h MET
New developer XviD build: hacked in YV12 decoding support from sh0dan for testing over at forum.doom9.org / pure YV12 processing from DVD to XviD.
Gruel implemented a first working version of GMC (global motion compensation) which is a very early alpha, most likely not helping file size yet, but I wanted to try it.

I agree XviD is superior to DivX in many ways!! I noticed he image is a bit crisper(especially the edges) than DivX!:slight_smile: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :cool: :bigsmile: :o

Nearly all Xvid offerings I have seen are noisy + blockish compared to lovely clean DivX (tweaks included in the settings).

Yes, some people do encode great Xvid’s (set to DivX fourcc or something), but most acclaimed postings to ‘those’ ng’s look sh*t in my opinion - DivX wins with no bother at all.

It seems strange that people talk of Xvid being legal and free of licensing (purchase) problems and then use it to encode illegal material - what it the point of this?

Ice’y

Nearly all Xvid offerings I have seen are noisy + blockish compared to lovely clean DivX (tweaks included in the settings).

And DivX blurs the image, making it easier to compress.

If you saw a DivX encode which looked better than an XviD encode, odds are that the XviD encode was done improperly.

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy
[B]

And DivX blurs the image, making it easier to compress.

If you saw a DivX encode which looked better than an XviD encode, odds are that the XviD encode was done improperly. [/B]

I’ve made a couple of XVid movies… I can’t say I saw difference (I use DivX 3.11 :wink: ). What do you do for your movies?:confused:

Me uses DivX 3.11 :wink: for all my encodes

The ‘scene’ forbids any use of DivX 4/5…
What I’ve noticed is that my DivX 5 videos feels more blurry, whilst DivX 3.11 gives a “clearer” picture. Bitrate is the same in both.
You can only notice it if you look closely on the monitor. No big deal but that’s my experience.
Now I must learn how to use XviD… :slight_smile: