XP3200 to Athlon64 upgrade torture

vbimport

Can anyone please put my mind at rest?

I want to upgrade from my present AthlonXP 3200 to an Athlon64 3700 but realy do not want to have to reinstal Windows XP because it would take so long to load back (and re download) all the progs (even if i could find all the serial numbers) and settings to the way they are now. In fact I doubt if it could be done.

Thanks to advice from these forums my PC is now running cool, stable and sweetly. - Athlon3200. Via KT600 (gigabyte) Mobo. 1GB PC3200 Ram. 2x ATA100 HD’s on the Primary IDE and DVD burner on the Secondary IDE. SATA HD and an old IDE HD on an ALi PCI SATA/Raid card. NVidia 5700 AGP. All PCI slots full. Four USB devices. etc etc.

From the previous advice people have kindly offered a reinstal would seem to be inevitable but I’ve searched and searched and come up with a possible solution about which I would be grateful for any opinions before I go ahead.

Asus do an almost identical motherbord layout-wise but based on the VIA KT880 chipset (same drivers) and 939 cpu socket with AGP and the same PCI slots. (Unfortunately Gigabyte dont.)
If I swap only the motherboard and CPU and refit evrything else in exactly the same positions as on the old board will I get away without reinstalling XP? If I can just get it booted and up and running with my origional C: drive I can then fiddle around as necessary.

Thanks in advance.

you will run into innumerable issues if you don’t do a clean install of windows when replacing your mobo/cpu. it sucks and is a royal PITA but you will be far better off and will avoid more future headaches if you clean install winxp.

My hopes are dashed then, but thanks for the reply. When you say “a clean install” do I have to re-format the drive or can I reinstal over my existing windows installation? I know its clutching at straws…

When you say “a clean install” do I have to re-format the drive

spot on

yup

That’s that then. What a pain. I’m glad I asked before going ahead. I might wait now until Microsoft brings out a “Home” proper 64 bit Operating System and do it then because I’ve only got XP Home Upgrade and my Windows 98 cd is now too scratched to read. Dont know if XP will accept DOS or 95 Upgrade as proof of ownership? At least, because I have to re-format, I will have the opportunity to switch the OS to my fast SATA drive. This calls for a large Gin.

95 will work.

This is done multiple times on a daily basis by those who work in the IT field. They deploy the same Operating System and software configurations to many computers with different hardware across a network or domain.

Basically, they clone an ideal setup from one computer to multiple computers with different hardware.

Though I have not personally attempted this and cannot attest for the degree of difficulty involved, the standard response for an associate who works in the IT field is “That is why Ghost and Sysprep were invented.”

As you know, Ghost is great for cloning the contents of hard drives. As you may not know, Microsoft’s Sysprep utility allows those cloned images to re-detect hardware and enter different Product ID’s so you can use cloned images on a bunch of systems even if the hardware doesn’t match. Sysprep is designed to allow imaging dissimilar hardware by directing Windows to re-detect hardware upon next boot (among other things).

Here are the steps he outlined:

Step 1: Install Windows XP & configure it.

Step 2: Install any applications & utilities that you want to include in all your builds.

Step 3: Run Microsoft’s Sysprep utility and shut down the system when prompted.

Step 4: Boot to a floppy and create a Ghost image of your system.

Step 5: Load the Ghost image on a new system. Power it up and go through the “mini-Setup”. You may be prompted for drivers if the hardware is different. The shortened GUI-mode Setup can take five or six minutes instead of 45 to 60 minutes and prompts the user only for required and user-specified information.
(If you want to go the extra mile, you could build your Ghost/Sysprep image to include additional OEM drivers. Read the Sysprep documentation for details.)

Step 6: You’re done! Windows, patches, applications, and utilities are all loaded and configured just as on the system you created the image from.

Nemesis.- Hope renkindled! Many thanks. So if I’ve got this right, to apply this to my motherboard/cpu change idea:

Step 4- Boot to floppy and create a Ghost image on my SATA drive.

Step 4a- Change mobo/cpu

Step 5- As per your instructions but the image is already on the SATA drive which becomes the boot drive.

Brilliant!

The only thing is that I seem to remember reading somewhere that Norton Ghost doesn’t run reliably with my VIA Accelarator Drivers (which are impossible to uninstal) or large HD’s. Something to do with cluster size? Anyway I’ll give it a go. The worst that can happen is that it fails and I end up re-formatting after all.

If you have the time you may want to check out Acronis True Image also…
especially if you don’t own Ghost already.

good luck

Unfortunately it didn’t work. Sysrep won’t work with XP Home edirion. But here I am with a new M/B and an AMD 3700 +64. I had to format my C: drive but lost only Microsoft Office XP (lost cd cover so no serial no.) and Agent. Despite a week of agony (the first MB failed and blew my graphics card) its a pitty that the damn thing doesn’t seem any quicker!

There isn’t much speed differential between 3200 and 3700. Perhaps 2 seconds with Super PI @ 1M digits.

it was an XP 3200 to an A64 3700 which should exhibit a noticeable difference in performance. perhaps you have cool and quiet enabled and the CPU is throttling itself?

I’ll try to switch it off. There’s an option to do so in the BIOS but i have also instaled a driver from AMD and there seems to be no way to switch it off. Will the BIOS setting do it or should I uninstal the driver as well? To be honest due to a mucked up first attempt in which the board failed and blew my graphics card I have had to switch cards from an NVidia 5700 to an ATI9550 and as I don’t know which of the cards is faster its difficult to compare speeds. Also the chip has a SanDiego as apposed to a Vienna core and again, I’ve no idea what the difference is.

As for the new BIOS there are a number of settings which I do not understand
and, as always, I would be most grateful for any advice on the best settings to use as the manual is useless. I always use auto if there’s an option (Asus A8VDeluxe AmericanMegatrends BIOS):

HyperTransport- Settings from 200MHz to 1000MHz (Current 1000MHz)
HT Data Width- 8 Bit or 16 Bit
Bank and Node Interleaving -I have two identical 500MB DDR RAM chips (nonECC).
Search for MDA Resources
VLink 8x Supported

Thanks in advance

switching it off in the BIOS works, but you can also go to “Power Options” in Control Panels and change from Minimal Power Management (the setting required for C&Q to function properly under WinXP) to Always On…there’s no need to uninstall the driver.

i’m not sure what the speed/performance diff is btw those two grfx cards, but the diff btw the SD and Venice core is the amount of L2 cache (1MB versus 512KB).

i’ve got the Asus A8V Deluxe…keep HT @ 1000MHz, set HT Data Width to 16bit, keep both Bank and Node Interleaving on Enabled (or Auto) to fully utilize the dual-channel memory bus of the motherboard, keep the last two on AUTO.

i would set the Memory timings to the SPD (rated timings…i.e. 2-2-2-5 = CAS, TRCD, TRP, TRAS) and set 2T Command Rate to Disabled. i’d also set the Performance mode to Manual and set the HTT frequency and voltages to the defaults (200MHz, 10X multiplier, 1.4v CPU, 2.X DIMM, 1.5V AGP and 2.5V LDT).

i’m currently not at home/with my machine, but when i do get back i’ll post a full list of settings i recommend…

Thanks for that. I’d appreciate it if you could get back to me. In fact my cheap RAM is only rated at 3-3-3-8 so I’ll probably leave it at that. I’m all for stablility. The voltages are running as near as dammit to your settings.

2-2-2-5 was just an example…i meant set them to whatever they’re rated at…

it might be a few days before i’m back at home so hope you can get by til then :wink:

Belaric Advisor is a nifty little program that is free, that you can run on your pc and it will give you stats, serial numbers, versions, for everything on your PC. Give it a try… I love it…

Disabled 2T and it seems fine. In fact my son reports that he can now max out the settings for DOOM3 and so it would all seem to have been worthwhile.

It’s weird but my MSI board did the exact same thing - defaulted to the 2T command rate not “automatic” in my bios when i booted it up for the first time. Setting it to 1T should give you big gains.