Xp won’t register my HDD, need to save data

vbimport

Hi.

I have a Samsung Sp2514N hdd 250gb, and I have another one where windows xp is installed. The Samsung one is where I keep most of my important data.

Now a few weeks back, my PC wouldn’t boot. So I unplugged the Samsung drive and the PC booted. So for a few days sometimes it would boot with that drive, sometimes I would have to unplug it so the pc would boot.

Now the pc boots but Xp doesn’t register my drive. It registers it in Device manager and it says that the drive is working properly and I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Still it says the device is working properly. But it doesn’t show it in My computer.

In Disk Management it shows the windows xp drive as healthy system drive and the Samsung drive as 250 gb of unallocated space. It has an option to make a new partition on it. I feel if I do this it will probably show it’s self in My computer, but I want to save my data on the drive.

Anyone have any ideas how to save the data?

Thank you.

Sounds like a dead / dying hdd to me if you have to unplug it sometimes to get the
system to boot and now it is showing up as unallocated space in Disk Management. :eek:

I had a Seagate 1TB hdd like that it wouldn’t boot up with it plugged in sometimes
then it just upped and died a horrible death in an instant and the BIOS wouldn’t even
see it so usually when a system refuses to boot with a drive plugged in that is a sure
sign of a dead / dying hdd. :sad: :doh:

You might be able to use it in an external enclosure long enough to get the data off of
it but there is no guarantee that will even work either. :disagree: :frowning:

A possible solution: Can your computer see external drives connected via USB? If so, put the Samsung in an external housing…transfer all the data to another external drive via USB.

EDIT: getit was a smigeon faster…but basically the same idea :smiley:

[QUOTE=NaMeK;2546423]Hi.

I have a Samsung Sp2514N hdd 250gb, and I have another one where windows xp is installed. The Samsung one is where I keep most of my important data.

Now a few weeks back, my PC wouldn’t boot. So I unplugged the Samsung drive and the PC booted. So for a few days sometimes it would boot with that drive, sometimes I would have to unplug it so the pc would boot.

Now the pc boots but Xp doesn’t register my drive. It registers it in Device manager and it says that the drive is working properly and I tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Still it says the device is working properly. But it doesn’t show it in My computer.

In Disk Management it shows the windows xp drive as healthy system drive and the Samsung drive as 250 gb of unallocated space. It has an option to make a new partition on it. I feel if I do this it will probably show it’s self in My computer, but I want to save my data on the drive.

Anyone have any ideas how to save the data?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I don’t know about what drives you can get but this should inform at least that Samsung are unreliable drives to begin with and might be time to go with a better HDD manufacture. I can on atest from my uses WD worked for me I still have qualm about Seagate 1TB and 1.5TB cause of the HDD debacle isn’t still resolved. That new partition if it wasn’t there before and now appears means most likely the drive is bad and unless you can get that previous data was there it is most likely gone. But do like some there reply use a a usb external HDD connector and see if you can still recover your data and if this doesn’t work either then the drive is most likely a brick. Any info on there is gone.