I have spent the last three nights and days working on my son-in-laws computer. It is a windows xp internet explorer 8 system and the auto update worked but try to go to the update page and after installing the activex it would keep giving me a page error. I google google google and google over and over again tried everything. I even remove sp3 and went back to internet explorer 7 same problem. I am just to Stubborn to give up. I even copied registry keys from a good xp machine to it but every key I tried did not work. I downloaded the programs that sites said that would fix the problem only to find out they wanted me to pay for a program that I am sure would not have fixed the problem. You name it I tried it of course except for the one thing that would fix it. I finally figured it had to be a CLSID entry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID. Do not ask how I figured that out not sure just that I tried everything else. The problem was that the entryâ€™s at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID are a large number and trying to compare each one to the good computer would have taken a year or two. So I took and backed up the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID on the bad computer and I also backed up the whole registry using Registry First Aid. I then deleted the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID from the bad computer and replaced it with the one from the good computer. Once I did this I tried the windows update and it worked it worked it worked. I knew if I left it this way something else might not work so I deleted the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID again and used Registry Fist Aid to reinstall the bad
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID. Know I knew it was there but I still have the problem of which one and as stated to many to check one at a time. I then did a find in the registry edit for for
Windows update in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID but all of them were ok. So it id a find for activex and bingo this one was missing on the bad computer. B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE
I then copied it from the good computer in inserted it in the registry of the bad computer and it was fixed.
Here is the whole key just copy it to note pad and save it as reg file run it and it will put it in your registry. Someone might ask why I went to the trouble of typing this but once it posted here the next person who has this problem will google the problem and my fix will be there. Now I can do some house work before my wife gets home on Sat.
@="Microsoft Download Manager ActiveX control"