Xp windows update not working

vbimport

I have spent the last three nights and days working on my son-in-laws computer. It is a windows xp internet explorer 8 system and the auto update worked but try to go to the update page and after installing the activex it would keep giving me a page error. I google google google and google over and over again tried everything. I even remove sp3 and went back to internet explorer 7 same problem. I am just to Stubborn to give up. I even copied registry keys from a good xp machine to it but every key I tried did not work. I downloaded the programs that sites said that would fix the problem only to find out they wanted me to pay for a program that I am sure would not have fixed the problem. You name it I tried it of course except for the one thing that would fix it. I finally figured it had to be a CLSID entry at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID. Do not ask how I figured that out not sure just that I tried everything else. The problem was that the entry’s at
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID are a large number and trying to compare each one to the good computer would have taken a year or two. So I took and backed up the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID on the bad computer and I also backed up the whole registry using Registry First Aid. I then deleted the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID from the bad computer and replaced it with the one from the good computer. Once I did this I tried the windows update and it worked it worked it worked. I knew if I left it this way something else might not work so I deleted the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID again and used Registry Fist Aid to reinstall the bad
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID. Know I knew it was there but I still have the problem of which one and as stated to many to check one at a time. I then did a find in the registry edit for for
Windows update in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID but all of them were ok. So it id a find for activex and bingo this one was missing on the bad computer. B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE
I then copied it from the good computer in inserted it in the registry of the bad computer and it was fixed.

Here is the whole key just copy it to note pad and save it as reg file run it and it will put it in your registry. Someone might ask why I went to the trouble of typing this but once it posted here the next person who has this problem will google the problem and my fix will be there. Now I can do some house work before my wife gets home on Sat.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}]
“AppID”="{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}"
@=“Microsoft Download Manager ActiveX control”

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}\Control]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}\InprocServer32]
@=“C:\WINDOWS
pMSDM.dll”
“ThreadingModel”=“Apartment”

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}\ProgID]
@=“MicrosoftDownloadManager.MSDownloadManagerCtrl.1”

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}\Programmable]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}\TypeLib]
@="{759D1E7C-3485-438A-A659-CA89F00574F6}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}\Version]
@=“1.1”

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID{B479199A-1242-4E3C-AD81-7F0DF801B4AE}\VersionIndependentProgID]
@=“MicrosoftDownloadManager.MSDownloadManagerCtrl”

We have a perma-copy of the Network Admin XP-SP3 and I must install that to solve WinUpdate failure problems.

[QUOTE=samlar;2683475]I have spent the last three nights and days working on my son-in-laws computer. It is a windows xp internet explorer 8 system and the auto update worked but try to go to the update page and after installing the activex it would keep giving me a page error.[/QUOTE]

That to me sounds like a M$ killing off any updates to XP…??? Don’t you think???

There have been some “issues” with the “update service”

My suggestion is to use Microsoft Fix It.

http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

One of the more recent issues required removing and reinstalling Microsoft Security Essentials to correct a failure to update.

Windows XP Update doesnt work for me!
My AV (Kaspersky) says i have to update Windows. But when i click on the link for Microsoft Update nothing happens.

SCI, I ran across Kasp 2013 and they mentioned that IE8 was ‘too vulnerable’ and they weren’t going to support it. IE8’s the last XP version. I wonder if this is what you’ve run into?

To solve that, we changed the Default Browser to Firefox and Kasp works fine there, but we expect more AV products to halt support for XP. Of course, eventually, XP and IE8 won’t be a target for attacks at all - “safest OS around!” is what Win98-SE boasts these days, by the way - 0 attacks in many years!

That’s probably just fanboi boasting, though - I’m sure DOS and CP/M could lay claim to the same low attack numbers over an even longer period of time!

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2686071]SCI, I ran across Kasp 2013 and they mentioned that IE8 was ‘too vulnerable’ and they weren’t going to support it. IE8’s the last XP version. I wonder if this is what you’ve run into?

To solve that, we changed the Default Browser to Firefox and Kasp works fine there, but we expect more AV products to halt support for XP. Of course, eventually, XP and IE8 won’t be a target for attacks at all - “safest OS around!” is what Win98-SE boasts these days, by the way - 0 attacks in many years!

That’s probably just fanboi boasting, though - I’m sure DOS and CP/M could lay claim to the same low attack numbers over an even longer period of time![/QUOTE]

Yes, safest only because there’s no antivirus program left to detect any problems or programmer who remembers how to hack it. Or wants to hack it for that matter.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2686075]Yes, safest only because there’s no antivirus program left to detect any problems or programmer who remembers how to hack it. Or wants to hack it for that matter.[/QUOTE]
Most casual hackers are after a challenge … and older Windows versions have holes like a fly screen.
But no one use those old operating systems, because new os’s have more features and less security holes, and so professional Malware hackers are attacking modem os’s, because that’s where the money is.

On my XP Pro I set autoupdates to “Notify me but don’t automatically download or install them”. I do that only when I want to check for Windows Updates.
The rest of the time I set it to “Turn off Automatic Updates”.
I 'm using IE8 but I don’t have Kaspersky AV.

I decided to boot my 98se this morning to see if Avast version 4.8 Home Edition -Free Antivirus would still update. I rarely boot to the Windows98se on my backup computer unless I need it for something. I usually disconect the ethernet cable when I do. This time I needed it to update the Avast & Spybot S&D if it would. I knew SpywareBlaster wouldn’t so I still leave it installed because it might still stop anything it already has.
The Avast needed to renew it’s registration (a once a year deal).
From there the update went fine.
Spybot S&D (It is an old version but the update still works.)
Updated without any problems.
The Agnitum firewall no longer updates & hasn’t for a long time.
The point is if you have a Windows98SE you can still protect it to some degree.
Of course MS stopped security updates a long time ago.