XP UPdates

vbimport

Hi All

This may sound a bit vauge but I recall reading somewhere that if one is running XP one shouldn’t up date a particular file using the auto updater.

Bit of a long shot but does anyone know what the file was, why not to update it and how to tell if one already has.

I think it might have been something to do with Alcohol or CloneCD but I’m not sure.

If anyone could help with this I would be glad 'cos I can’t remember where it was I was looking at it an it’s bugging me.

Cheers

Not sure where you got the idea it might have somehting to do with Alcohol or CloneCD, but I believe that the update you are referring to is the update number 811493

811493: Security Update (Windows XP)
Download size: 5.8 MB, < 1 minute
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® XP and gain complete control over it. An attacker would need the ability to log onto the computer locally to carry out an attack. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this update, you may have to restart your computer. Read more…

This update has been known to virtually stop a pc dead, and hence it was moved from Critical update to Recommended update. The cause of the slow down has been attributed to running virus checkers which monitor system constantly, ie auto-protect, and m$ were rumoured to have said turn off the auto-protect feature of Virus Checkers (unconfirmed).

Hope that is the one you are talking of, as I haven’t heard of any other updates with problems.

Edit:

Found the article where m$ tell you basically to turn off your virus checker, you can view it HERE what a great idea, turn off your virus checker so that you can use windows, great security update HeHe :slight_smile:

wtf! umm i’m pretty sure he means the cd burning update as it stuffs up burning with clone cd and other burning progs

Originally posted by slayerking
wtf! umm i’m pretty sure he means the cd burning update as it stuffs up burning with clone cd and other burning progs

I stand corrected, though I haven’t heard of problems with that one :slight_smile:

a lot of programs tell you to turn off virus checkers before installing.

True, but M$ suggest to leave it off in this case and only use it when you want to manually scan something. Hardly useful as a virus scanner in that situation :slight_smile:

Anyhoo … hope that Lucky7 has had his question answered :wink:

Thanks for the replies, does this mean I can still download the updates for xp and not worry about burning backups?

I still can’t remember where I read it, it might have been on the copyburnworld.com site.

you can install the service pack as i think it doesn’t have that in it so yes.

BTW I have sp1 and all needed updates installed without any problems. when i say needed i mean i dont need the euro converter