XP ~sp1 or sp2!? Which one is better!?

I would like to get some comments…

especially for those who tried sp2 and then uninstall it!!

sp2 adds more security to the system but at the same time it has issues with certain software.

Yo-

Have had sp2 on both computers for over one year - no problems yet-

Mike

Same as Mike - SP2 on two PCs, no probs yet! :slight_smile:

thier is no sp3

Sp2’s compatibility issues are greatly exaggerated. 99% of the software it doesn’t work with - is poorly coded and needs to be fixed. SP2 just enforces rules that MS made years ago.

I for one want a service pack that goes FURTHER. It’s been “forbidden” to put your own files in the Windows directory since Windows 3.0’s API was released. I want a version of Windows that actually enforces this prohibition!

So if you ask me… I prefer SP2, with some caveats.

I don’t like the “10 simultaneous partially formed TCP/IP connections” prohibition. And the only way around this is to hack your TCP/IP stack, not a great solution.

I don’t like “security center”. It’s irritating, but easily disabled.

I don’t like the extra layers of idiotic hand-holding.

But otherwise it’s just fine.

Hi :slight_smile:
I’ve not had any problem in terms of SP2. :smiley:
There is a (unofficial) SP3 going around. Basically puts all updates since SP2 together. If you’re running a legit version of XP, you should/could have these already.

Last thing I saw relating to a SP3 was a “preview” package on majorgeeks.com!

Hi :slight_smile:
Arachne, yes I’ve seen that too. There is as I understand it a SP3 release due soon (official) & there are previews relating to this. There’s also a ‘pirate’ SP3 that gives you the updates without having the need to validate etc.

Ah, gotcha! You learn something new every day! :slight_smile:

Using SP2 on my 3 systems & my son does also on his 3 systems.

I’ve not experienced any problems that are caused by SP2 specifically. Generally seems very stable & problem free.

I would say SP2. Also better to install SP2 on a fresh system or use a slipstreamed disk.

VH
:slight_smile:

At least based on my own experiences, sp2 had a lot more problems when it was new, problems that they seemed to have worked out. I really don’t see any choice though, unless you are running mega security on your computer, as there are to many exploits in sp1.

@Gurm, any more details on the aboves? Does this “10 simultaneous partially formed TCP/IP connections” affects speed for web browsing or downloading?

thx :slight_smile:

No it doesnt, P2P applications also have this in mind (like Azureus) so it wont be an issue.
Some advices… use a slipstreamed disc with SP2 and then run this updater (dont do anything else before running it)…

Then go for drivers, Chipset, IDE, SATA, Ethernet, Video Card, Sound Card etc…
//Danne

Most applications have worked around the partially formed TCP/IP connection limit. HOWEVER, if you run P2P and several messengers - for example BitSpirit and Trillian are runnign 24/7/365 on my machine - you’ll hit the limit a lot. But more and more programs are aware of it and coding around it. :frowning:

It’s a bad solution to a really minor problem. Shame on MS. :frowning:

Also, please note what VirusHack said:

Also better to install SP2 on a fresh system or use a slipstreamed disk.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES do I recommend trying to do an in-place SP2 install, that is the source of 99% of the complaints. Install fresh on top of a just-installed windows, or better yet slipstream it onto your Windows disk and reinstall completely.

comments comments comments comments

especially for those who tried sp2 and then uninstall it!!

uninstall it? why would you do that?

Service Pack 2 gives you a pretty (as in small rulesetting, but a beautiful GUI) firewall and a lot of security patches.

Windows XP is a superb OS, if you take the time to make security and performance enhancements.

@ Gurm
Use a better designed program, Azureus, uTorrent etc and you’ll be fine.
//Damme

LMAO :bigsmile:
I wouldn’t call it that. It’s a joke but its the easiest to use.

didn’t one of the p2p applications come out with a patch a while ago that disabled this? I think it was posted in the cd freaks news a while back.