Xp probs

vbimport

hi all. am new here so bear with me. i seem to have developed a serious prob with my desktop. windows starts up as usual. it started first with IE.every time i would click a link or go to a website, it would bring me back to homepage. had recently upgraded to IE8 so i uninstalled that to reinstall. have noticed now that if i open my computer, then open “c” im brought back to my computer. it seems anything i do it brings me back to the root or first page. ive scaned with new avg and trend micro housecall. done several scans with malware bytes and nothing shows up. is there anyone out there that has seen this before. please help. S.

Welcome to the forums sger9.

Do you have a restore point prior to all this starting? If so, that would be the first thing I’d try.

[QUOTE=sger9;2659136]hi all. am new here so bear with me. i seem to have developed a serious prob with my desktop. windows starts up as usual. it started first with IE.every time i would click a link or go to a website, it would bring me back to homepage. had recently upgraded to IE8 so i uninstalled that to reinstall. have noticed now that if i open my computer, then open “c” im brought back to my computer. it seems anything i do it brings me back to the root or first page…[/QUOTE]

Okay, I really don’t understand your problem, when Windows starts it should take you to your Desktop. Then from there you pick what you want to do, if it’s IE8 you click on that and it should take you to the Home Page, default is MSN. If Windows is starting up with My Computer there is a problem. Like it was brought up, do a System Restore and go back to a date things were working good. :cool:

sorry for delay in replying. comp starts up as usual to desktop. double click on ie. homepage is set as google. then, for example, i click on my gmail link. i get the sign on page but b4 i get chance to sign in, ie brings me back to my home page. any time i move on from home page, it brings me back to hp again. its since started if i go to my comp too. ex: my comp, c:/ straight back to my comp. hope this explains the prob a bit better. S.

by the way, ive tried doing a sys restore. it wont let me. have gone back 2 months but nothing happens. S.

This sounds like a virus to me. A hijacker. A virus that’s taken your User Rights and modified them so you can’t access the virus. I sometimes use the processes that BLEEPING COMPUTER offers.

I don’t suppose you’ve created a 2nd UserID somewhere in the past, have you? Like the Administrator account and that you also know that account’s password?

Sometimes, I’ve cured viruses by logging in as that 2nd user (as long as it’s got Administrator rights) and found viruses that ‘my ID’ couldn’t locate.

If it will not restore to an earlier date you will need to start it in safe mode then do your system restore.

[QUOTE=sger9;2659577]by the way, ive tried doing a sys restore. it wont let me. have gone back 2 months but nothing happens. S.[/QUOTE]

If you can’t do a System Restore from Safe Mode, I would say save your Data and Format and Reload Windows. Also if your HDD is not Seagate or Western Digital and older than 3 years, a new HDD should be used. :cool: