XP-Pro SP2 MELTDOWN!

I have a multiboot system with W2K SP4 and XP-Pro SP2.
W2K has one user, the administrator.
XP-Pro has and administrator and three non-admin user accounts that never get used.

Things started moving slow in XP-Pro SP2 last night.

I rebooted and got …

Window Title Bar =
Services.exe Entry Point Not Found

Window Message =
The Procedure entry point AssocIsDangerous could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dl

Clicked OK to proceed

Window Title Bar =
Winlogon.exe Entry Point Not Found

Window Message =
SAME AS ABOVE

Clicked OK to proceed

Window Title Bar =
lsass.exe Entry Point Not Found

Window Message =
SAME AS ABOVE

Clicked OK to proceed

I have to hit the RESET button to reboot.

I haven’t set any GoBack points.
Booting to the last known configuration that worked produces the same results.

Booting to Safe Mode produces the same results.

I can still boot into W2K SP4.
I’m the administrator in W2K SP4.
I can access folders on my XP-Pro SP2 partition.

Maybe it’s because I’m the Admin on W2K but I can access folders on the Xp-Pro that belong to the XP-Pro Admin (also me). It tells me I don’t have access but it lets me change ownership to the W2K admin so I CAN access them. Maybe that’s an admin perk. If non-admins can change wonership, it’s a security risk. I guess they assume the admin on a sys will be the same for all OS’s. Anyway, it serves me well to be able to access those files.

I guess I’ll be backing-up those files and reinstalling XP over the old or refreshing it, if that’s what they call it.
If that doesn’t work, I’ll be reformatting that partition and reinstalling.

For some reason, I couldn’t get my Ghost working with XP.
People online tell me that my version should work.

Any user account with administrator privileges can take ownership of any file. That’s what admins are for, among other things. By the way, administrators can not give ownership back. It’s a one way street, to preclude administrators from stealthily covering their tracks.

If you really want private files you need to encrypt them. I don’t recommend it though unless you really really know what you are doing. If you lose the encryption key, you will sadly discover that encryption can be a one way street also :slight_smile: