XP Pro aspi corrupted - should I care?

411s firmware FSOJ . As I try to debug a problem with my backup software, I ran Nero’s utility and came up with the error below. Note that I am able to write to Memorex 4x DVD+rw using Nero 6.0.0.28 without any obvious problems. (Took about 4 minutes to write 1.1 GB of files.) I’m just wondering if that error could cause problems with other software.

Nero InfoTool 2.07
Disc Information (G:)

Type : Blank DVD+RW

ASPI Information

System ASPI : ASPI installation is corrupted

WNASPI32.DLL : 4.71 (0002) 45056 bytes July 17, 2002
ASPI32.SYS : 4.60 (1021) 25244 bytes September 09, 1999
WINASPI.DLL : 4.60 (1021) 5600 bytes September 09, 1999
WOWPOST.EXE : 4.60 (1021) 4672 bytes September 09, 1999

Nero ASPI : ASPI is installed and working properly
WNASPI32.DLL : 2.0.1.59 160016 bytes June 17, 2003

Another curiosity is when I look at properties of the DVD+RW in Win Explorer, it says the disk capacity is 1.1 GB and it’s full. It’s measuring the data but not the free space. Is this normal? Does it suggest the disk is damaged, i.e., by my backup software - a problem I raised in a software forum thread.

Here’s what Kprobe says about the disk:
Disc Type = DVD+RW
Manufacturer = Philips Electronics
<< Disc Information >>
Erasable = True
Status of Last Session/Border = Complete Session/Border
Disc Status = Complete Disc
Number of First Track/RZone on Disc = 1
Number of Sessions/Borders(LSB) = 1
First Track/RZone Number in Last Session/Border(LSB) = 1
Last Track/RZone Number in Last Session/Border(LSB) = 1
Disc Identification Valid(DID_V) = False
Disc Bar Code Valid(DBC_V) = False
Unrestricted Use Disc(DRU) = True
Disc Type = CD-DA or CD-ROM Disc
Disc Identification = 00000000h
Lead-in Start Time of Last Session = 00:00:00(00:00:00h)
Last Possible Start Time for Startof Lead-out = 00:00:00(00:00:00h)
Disc Bar Code = 0000000000000000h
Number of OPC Table Entries = 0
<< Track Information >>
Number of Complete Sessions on Disc = 1

What Nero says about the disk is:
Nero InfoTool 2.07

Disc Information (G:)

Type : DVD+RW
Capacity : 4.38 GB
Layers : 1
Version : 2
Disc Size : 12 cm
File System : ISO9660, Joliet
Title : DataBaks
Date : 23 March 2004
Publisher : n/a
Application : Nero Burning ROM

Your system ASPI is mixed versions. If you have wnaspi32.dll as version 4.71.2, aspi32.sys should also be 4.71.2.

I wonder if you had 4.71.2 installed, then ran something like ForceASPI when ASPI had been used and the wnaspi32.dll was already loaded.

The Adaptec ASPI 4.71.2 installer doesn’t install wowpost.exe or winaspi.dll on Windows XP if you run it with the correct arguments - Adaptec reckon that you don’t need them on XP.

My personal recommendation is to do without Adaptec ASPI if you can - I found that when mounting an image using Nero ImageDrive, Adaptec ASPI usually caused a BSOD. If your applications are able to use SPTI, then you can use the Nero BurnRights tool that you can download from the Nero web site to allow non-Administrator users to use SPTI.

I have the latest versions of Nero 6, InCD, Feurio and DVDINFOPro all working happily as any user on my Windows XP Professional SP1 box, and Adaptec ASPI is no longer installed. Some more detailed comments about Adaptec ASPI and how I uninstalled it can be found in this thread.

Your DVD+RW issue is to do with mastering. It’s not damaged - you can get at the full capacity by writing another session (if it’s an unfinalised multi-session disc) or erasing it (I find that in my setup I have to full erase a DVD+RW to use it again - a quick erase is insufficient and simply leads to a power calibration error - that’s Imation 4x DVD+RW which is RICOHJPNW11 media on a NEC ND-2500A). However, Windows Explorer itself can’t write to the disc (unless you’re using packet writing, using software like InCD), hence it says the disc is full.

David

Originally posted by DavidW
[B]Your system ASPI is mixed versions. If you have wnaspi32.dll as version 4.71.2, aspi32.sys should also be 4.71.2.

My personal recommendation is to do without Adaptec ASPI if you can - I found that when mounting an image using Nero ImageDrive, Adaptec ASPI usually caused a BSOD. If your applications are able to use SPTI, then you can use the Nero BurnRights tool that you can download from the Nero web site to allow non-Administrator users to use SPTI.[/B]

I have an Adaptec scsi controller running an internal DAT tape drive and an external Zip drive. I suspect the Adaptec ASPI is there for the scsi. I have no idea if I could do without it. I certainly can’t do without the DAT drive until I have my backup working on the DVD+RW. I wonder if this is something I could get an upgrade file from Adaptec for. Also, how would I know if my apps can use SPTI?

Your DVD+RW issue is to do with mastering. It’s not damaged - you can get at the full capacity by writing another session (if it’s an unfinalised multi-session disc) or erasing it (I find that in my setup I have to full erase a DVD+RW to use it again - a quick erase is insufficient and simply leads to a power calibration error - that’s Imation 4x DVD+RW which is RICOHJPNW11 media on a NEC ND-2500A). However, Windows Explorer itself can’t write to the disc (unless you’re using packet writing, using software like InCD), hence it says the disc is full.

My post was from a disk that had been messed up by Retrospect backup software and then I used Nero to do a full erase.

I also have InCD 3.29.1, though I don’t know if I’ve ever used it. I just started it up to see what happens. I appears in my tray with a yellow balloon with an exclamation mark inside, and a red spot on the lower right. With this running, I still see the disk as being full in Windows Explorer.

The InCD file dates are a year older than Nero. I don’t know if this came with this Nero or is left over from Nero 5, which I got with my previous Lite-On cd-rw 48125w drive. I haven’t tried writing to the disk with Windows Explorer. I don’t understand the relationship to packet writing software than you mention.

Thanks for your help.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavidW
Your system ASPI is mixed versions. If you have wnaspi32.dll as version 4.71.2, aspi32.sys should also be 4.71.2.David/QUOTE]

I just downloaded the the latest drivers from Adaptec. They echo what you said above. Wnaspi32.dll and aspi32.sys must be the same versions. I’ll try getting everything synched tonight and see if it makes any difference at all.

Originally posted by Randybro
I have an Adaptec scsi controller running an internal DAT tape drive and an external Zip drive. I suspect the Adaptec ASPI is there for the scsi. I have no idea if I could do without it. I certainly can’t do without the DAT drive until I have my backup working on the DVD+RW. I wonder if this is something I could get an upgrade file from Adaptec for. Also, how would I know if my apps can use SPTI?
Just because you’re using SCSI doesn’t mean you need ASPI installed. Though I’m not familiar with Retrospect (which I know is the backup software you’re using - as mentioned in another thread), I suspect it works the same as the backup application in Windows and VERITAS Backup Exec - using the tape drivers in Windows.

If so, you don’t need ASPI for the tape - I would be very surprised if any modern backup software attempted to drive a tape drive using ASPI.

My machine doesn’t have Adaptec ASPI installed, and it works fine with my SCSI DDS-4 tape drive and the rest of my SCSI setup (two SCSI controllers, two SCSI hard disks, a SCSI tape drive, a SCSI CD-RW and sometimes a SCSI scanner as well).

Your Zip drive doesn’t need ASPI.

ASPI isn’t required to use SCSI - it’s just a way of applications getting relatively low level access to SCSI devices (it was later extended to allow the same for IDE devices). I can’t think of any drivers that use ASPI.

Windows 2000 and XP are not supplied with ASPI ‘out of the box’ - instead they offer SPTI (sometimes called DeviceIoControl) for low level access to devices. Nero BurnRights allows SPTI to work for non-Administrator users.

In reality, the only applications that need ASPI are some CD recording software and some drive utility programs. However, almost everything released in the last two years supports SPTI at least as an alternative to ASPI. Just one reason is that, unless I’m very much mistaken, Adaptec ASPI doesn’t allow access to external drives connected via USB or Firewire.

I’d be very tempted to uninstall ASPI - follow the instructions in the thread I linked earlier. If the uninstallation breaks any of your software, you can always reinstall it. The aspi32.sys driver hooks onto things at a very low level and can cause problems.

Originally posted by Randybro
[B]My post was from a disk that had been messed up by Retrospect backup software and then I used Nero to do a full erase.

I also have InCD 3.29.1, though I don’t know if I’ve ever used it. I just started it up to see what happens. I appears in my tray with a yellow balloon with an exclamation mark inside, and a red spot on the lower right. With this running, I still see the disk as being full in Windows Explorer.

The InCD file dates are a year older than Nero. I don’t know if this came with this Nero or is left over from Nero 5, which I got with my previous Lite-On cd-rw 48125w drive. I haven’t tried writing to the disk with Windows Explorer. I don’t understand the relationship to packet writing software than you mention. [/B]

Packet writing software changes things a bit - for example, a disc being packet written shows free space in Windows Explorer, whereas a mastered disc doesn’t.

That version of InCD is very old. I would uninstall it - on the basis that any filters and the like that can be removed from your system can only help matters. If you really do want InCD, I suggest you install a newer version. However, it will be far easier to debug things if you remove a program that interferes considerably with how your computer relates to your writers.

If you want to list the utility and CD/DVD writing software you have installed, with version numbers, I’ll take a look and see if I can spot anything.

However, I’d work from this premise. Eliminate everything you can, particularly drivers and software with CD/DVD writing capabilities. Upgrade what’s left to do with CD/DVD writing to the latest versions you can.

Removing both Adaptec ASPI and InCD might improve the behaviour of your DVD writer under Retrospect - both could potentially be interfering with its operation. I’m not going to promise anything, though.

David

[B]I’d be very tempted to uninstall ASPI - follow the instructions in the thread I linked earlier.

That version of InCD is very old. I would uninstall it

However, I’d work from this premise. Eliminate everything you can, particularly drivers and software with CD/DVD writing capabilities. Upgrade what’s left to do with CD/DVD writing to the latest versions you can. [/B]

Good ideas. I will try them all. I’ve printed out the thread you referred to and read it. And I accept that you aren’t making any promises!

Again, thanks so much for your suggestions and explanations.

Randy

I’d be very tempted to uninstall ASPI - follow the instructions in the thread I linked earlier. David

You have totally solved my problem. In fact, I didn’t even need to uninstall ASPI. As I was preparing to follow your uninstall instructions, by chance I saw a new posting on a Dantz tech support forum regarding a Sony drive that wasn’t being seen by the Retrospect backup software.

It turns out there is a hidden setup page that allows you to bypass ASPI and use “devices visible NT Passthrough”. Once I selected this, Retrospect recognized my drive and media as DVD+RW. I did a full data backup of 2.5 GB with verify in 20 minutes. On my DAT DDS tape drive, the same takes 6 hours, not including changing the tape several times (backup to two tapes, verify from the two tapes).

Again, THANK YOU.

Randy

ps: Now I can uninstall ASPI at my leisure.

Result! I’m surprised that the feature is so well hidden - I would have thought using SPTI (referred to here as NT passthrough)would be the default.

If you can summarise the fix for Retrospect, it might be worth posting it here, just in case anyone finds this thread via the forum search feature in the future.

If you find you have problems in that you need SPTI available when logged in without Administrator privileges, Nero BurnRights will solve that (I believe possibly at the cost of some loss of functionality with optical drives when using Terminal Services / Remote Desktop).

I would get rid of Adaptec ASPI if possible - it can cause various instabilities as I’ve already mentioned. As you appear to have wowpost.exe and winaspi.dll installed, don’t forget to delete those as well as aspi32.sys (once you’ve followed the instructions in the other thread to uninstall it) and wnaspi32.dll.

I’d also get rid of that old version of InCD - uninstall it, and, if you find you want it later, install a more recent version.

Both these changes should improve the stability of your machine.

Your DDS tape drive is obviously a very old one. I wouldn’t swap my DDS-4 unit for my DVD writer; I use both. There again, DDS-4 holds 20GB uncompressed and is rather faster than older DDS generations (around 150MBytes per minute uncompressed).

David

I’m surprised that the feature is so well hidden. If you can summarise the fix for Retrospect, it might be worth posting it here, just in case anyone finds this thread via the forum search feature in the future.David

Maybe this should go in the Software forum, but I don’t want to multiply the threads unnecessarily. So here it is.

Dantz Retrospect users:
This program has problems with the “custom configure” feature with DVD+/-RW drives when the OS has ASPI drivers installed. There is a secret configuration option in Retrospect that tells it to ignore ASPI and use NT/XP’s built-in support, called “NT passthrough” (or “SPTI” by others).

In Retrospect open the Configure-Devices-Environment window and see if it says “devices visible using NT passthrough.” If it says “ASPI” instead type ctrl + ALT + P + P at any screen in Retrospect. Then tick the “use NT passthrough” box under the Execution heading.