XP not seeing network card

vbimport

I just replaced my Dynex network card with a Rosewill one. I have physically removed the Dynex one and removed it from device manager and add or remove programs. But XP is still seeing the Dynex and not the Rosewill. What do I need to do??
thanks, foghat

I am assuming here that the Dynex is indeed physically removed and the Rosewill is installed. I also assume these are actual interface cards and not usb devices.

You need to log in as a user with administrator rights.
Then, if there are any, remove all software programs regarding your Dynex driver.
Then go to device manager and delete the network card driver (probably there isn’t one at this point)
Reboot your machine
Install the drivers of your Rosewill network card
Configure the Rosewill network card

If this fails, i suggest booting the machine in safe mode (F8 before Windows XP starts), log in as a user with administrator rights and remove all network devices in the device manager and reboot.

[QUOTE=foghat;2596274]I just replaced my Dynex network card with a Rosewill one. I have physically removed the Dynex one and removed it from device manager and add or remove programs. But XP is still seeing the Dynex and not the Rosewill. What do I need to do??
thanks, foghat[/QUOTE]

So what kinda network card is that dynex? Without a hardware type and model that is alot of assumption we have to make to even figure out how to help your remove ghost drivers???

I’d suggest that perhaps the dynex card and rosewill card have exactly the same chip, from the same manufacturer (probably Realtek), in them & Dynex/Rosewill are just whacking the original manufacturers chip onto the reference design board and slapping their name on it … so windows XP thinks they are the same card (and they are functionally and logically the same).

You will need to “uninstall” the dynex card in DEVICE MANAGER, it’s worth taking note of the .INF file in the properties first, and then deleting that particular INF file from “C:/windows/INF”.

Then install the drivers for your new card by finding the new cards driver INF file on the CD, right click & install.

I guess this is why they call it Newbie Forum, but installing a Card is very basic. We need to hear back from the OP about his computer, and why he replaced the Network Card. OS are very smart and they will try and find the correct Drivers, so this is important, you must have the correct Drivers from the Manufacturer. Load the correct Drivers and you should have no problems. :cool:

Off-Topic

[QUOTE=alchav21;2596563]I guess this is why they call it Newbie Forum, but installing a Card is very basic. We need to hear back from the OP about his computer, and why he replaced the Network Card. OS are very smart and they will try and find the correct Drivers, so this is important, you must have the correct Drivers from the Manufacturer. Load the correct Drivers and you should have no problems. :cool:[/QUOTE]
The Original Sound Blaster Live! only received the correct drivers from manufacturer, and was a source of problems for many people.

That said, reference drivers are usually the best because they’ve passed through the least hands to get to you, and too many cooks spoil the broth.

On the other hand, any manufacturers optimizations and/or additional features/hardware won’t be available for use.

/off-topic

That said, there’s only about 5 or 6 large network card chip manufacturers, and realtek, marvell & intel (in that order) are the most likely to be stumbled upon by consumers.

[QUOTE=debro;2596587]
That said, there’s only about 5 or 6 large network card chip manufacturers, and realtek, marvell & intel (in that order) are the most likely to be stumbled upon by consumers.[/QUOTE]

When getting the correct Drivers, you always go to The Source. In this case Rosewill Web Site, Support and download the Drivers for your Network Card Model. :cool: