I certainly hope someone can help me with my 708A . . . . .
Hereâ€™s my hardware setup:
*Motherboard â€“ FIC AZ11EA, SocketA, VIA KT133A, VIA 686B, 1.3 GHz AMD Athlon processor, 730 MB RAM.
*2 Maxtor HD (40 gig (system- 27 gig free), 120gig (data â€“ 100 gig free))
*DVD Drive Plextor 708A â€“ ver 1.08 firmware
*CD drive â€“ Mitsumi something
*OS â€“ XP Pro SP1 (used to have SP2 before the CRASH )
*Video â€“ Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 256 MB DDR2
*Software â€“ Nero Ultra ver 6.6, DVD Decrypter, DVD shrink
Hereâ€™s the issue, when I attempt to burn anything with Nero (CD or DVD) in the 708A, my computer reboots. The burn process may get to 19%. I have opened Task Mgr and watched my free RAM drop as low as 8K during the burn phase. My virtual memory is set to allow up to 8 gig(I believe). I set XP to not reboot on error and got the BSOD saying that I should not Cache or Shadow my video BIOS. I Disabled the Cache/Shadow â€“ same problem. I can burn CDs via XP and I can burn DVDs with DVD Shrink/Decrypter. I would like to use Nero to back up my PC to DVD to prevent the loss of data I experienced with the crash :-(.
This is what I have done to try to correct the problem:
01. Upgraded to the latest version of Nero.
02. Upgraded 708Aâ€™s firmware to 1.08
03. Set IMAPI CD-Burning Com Service to disabled
04. Looked at the Secondary IDE Channel, set to DMA
05. Got the Manufactureâ€™s driver (4 in 1)
06. Installed for VIA Busmaster IDE Controller
07. Uninstalled Manufactureâ€™s driver
08. Let XP install latest MS driver
09. Looked at the Secondary IDE Channel, set to DMA
10. Removed my Plextor CD burner and replaced with old Mitsumi CD burner
11. Verified I am using the flat ribbon cable that came with my Plextor drive
12. Put a jumper on the UDMA setting of the 708A drive.
Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do next?