Xp media ed 2005 OEM disk

vbimport

I have an HP a1420n with Windows XP media center edition 2005 that needs the OS repaired. Can anyone help me out with this? I did see where ebay has people selling the OEM disks but they all say for DELL only. Will they work for an HP?

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Only recently computer producers stopped to include a recovery disc in their products, but in 2005 for what I know a recover CD was included.

Do you have these discs?

Bear in mind that using restore CDs will remove everything you changed in your computer, so a backup of all important data (like e-mail accounts, saved pictures, etc) is mandatory.

However, an OEM operative system (be careful to purchase from ebay: choose only reputable vendors) can be installed in every computer, unless is an highly customized version purposely made for a specific machine (like restore CD sold with a specific computer model).

No, I don’t believe the Dell versions will work on your HP (different license). Have you tried contacting HP directly? http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c02682650&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Your operating system is old enough now that HP probably won’t have a recovery disk available, but it doesn’t hurt to look.

Thanks guys - I don’t want to do a restore and lose everything, just want to do a repair.

Can I find someone who has a disk [who maybe has the same machine] and get them to make a copy or ISO version of it and use it?

If so, how would I find that person?

Microsoft generally doesn’t care about anything except having a valid license for the operating system, so you can usually get away with asking for a copy of an operating disk on many forums. The disk itself won’t have the license numbers, so you are using the license that already exists on your machine.

I’ve seen people respond to this request over at the Agora at ArsTechnica. One of the moderators there has helped out, since he has a pretty good collection of operating system disks from computers he has built over the last ten years or so.

So my advice is to join their forum and put in a request. This is the link for the Agora (their buying/trading forum): http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewforum.php?f=12 Just include as much information as you can in your request. You may be asked to chip in for shipping.

I can tell you for certain that a Dell XP-MCE disc will ONLY run on a Dell machine.

just as an XP disc will only run on an HP (and some Compaq)

but by stated M$ policy your right to use ANY M$ OS goes wth the CoA and the origial MoBo
on which you installed it.

Personally, in your situation, I’d get a used “no CoA included” M$ disc off ebay

MS provides a Repair Console download but unfortunately it’s a six floppy image. Here is a link to a program that will take the floppy image and create a bootable CD image, http://tips.vlaurie.com/2006/05/recovery-console-for-those-without-an-xp-disk/. When you download and unzip the program read the Readme.htm file for instructions. I haven’t tried it so let us know if it works. If you need instructions for using the Repair Console, just google it.

Check the HP Support Center, they will sell you an OS Disc for your computer for a nominal fee. :cool: