XP Install: Never Seen Bizzare Problem

vbimport

OK, first off I have installed XP at least 50 times. Yesterday I was installing XP and after the setup goes into the Windows setup GUI where it shows the points on the left and the “benefits” of installing XP on the right it started telling me it could not find certain files. The HDD is on IDE so I assume the F6 SCSI and RAID drivers are not needed? The first file it can’t find is “storprop.dll”. I’ve NEVER seen this before on any XP install and I don’t know whether it’s the CD drive, the HDD, or the motherboard. Any ideas?

OS Windows XP Home 2002 Edition Full
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2800+ w/Stock HSF
HDD: Hitachi DeskStar 60GB
CDD: LG CED-8080B VER 1.06
RAM: 2x1GB OCZ
MB: NF7-S

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I would say, at a guess (I never came across it before either), that certain files weren’t copied over properly (or at all) from the XP CD.

Got another CD drive or disc you can try?

And no, with your IDE drive, you don’t need any drivers at F6 :slight_smile:

I’m going to guess it’s your hard drive beginning to fail, seen it before with my aunt’s Dell. Time for a new HDD most likely.

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2089369]I’m going to guess it’s your hard drive beginning to fail, seen it before with my aunt’s Dell. Time for a new HDD most likely.[/QUOTE]

Ouch :eek:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2089319]Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I would say, at a guess (I never came across it before either), that certain files weren’t copied over properly (or at all) from the XP CD.

Got another CD drive or disc you can try?

And no, with your IDE drive, you don’t need any drivers at F6 :)[/QUOTE]

Woohoo! You were right! I swapped out the CD drive for a Plextor I had stored away and XP installed flawlessly.

Thank you so much. :bow:

[QUOTE=jhtalisman;2089369]I’m going to guess it’s your hard drive beginning to fail, seen it before with my aunt’s Dell. Time for a new HDD most likely.[/QUOTE]

Ironically that is what I thought too. It works great now though.

Thanks for replying and offering support. :clap:

[QUOTE=mufn8r;2089390]Woohoo! You were right! I swapped out the CD drive for a Plextor I had stored away and XP installed flawlessly.

Thank you so much. :bow:[/QUOTE]

Whew, at least it was nothing sinister! Glad it’s installed OK :slight_smile: