Xp home xp pro

vbimport

hi!!!

I’ve got a little problem here… I tried to install a windows xp pro on a drive, but not my c-drive… since then, when I start-up my pc, I get a dual boot. Now the question is: Can I delete the dual boot without having the original disc of windows xp home?

thanks
greets

[QUOTE=bruggefan;2148459]hi!!!

I’ve got a little problem here… I tried to install a windows xp pro on a drive, but not my c-drive… since then, when I start-up my pc, I get a dual boot. Now the question is: Can I delete the dual boot without having the original disc of windows xp home?

thanks
greets[/QUOTE]

How do you have the drives setup? Are you using Sata or Pata? You gave very little info to be of much assistance for my help other might be different. What version of SP Home do you have? In theory you should be able to format the drive you want to remove but then again without knowing the setup is hard to figure.

You say you “tried” to install xp pro, do you know for sure that it is installed on you other hard drive? It appears that you are still booting from the C: drive which is where the MBR and boot.ini are, have you tried changing the boot order in your bios to see if your xp pro install will boot by itself, or just disconnect your C: drive and see if it boots. If you want to just keep the xp pro install and reformat your C: drive, you have to have MBR, NTLDR, boot.ini, etc. on the xp pro drive or it won’t boot. If you just want to get rid of the dual boot option, edit the boot.ini file. Google it if you don’t know what it is. Use caution.

Yes u can delete the dual boot and u do not need the original CD.

How to delete the dual boot from boot.ini?

1. start > run
  2. type: cmd
  3. type: bootcfg /delete /ID#‎

when # is the number of the operation system that u want to delete.

example: type 2 for the secound OS in boot.ini (in this case win2k is the secound)

default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Windows XP Professional” /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)[B]partition(2)[/B]\WINNT=“Windows 2000 Professional” /fastdetect

you can find the number when type “msconfig” under “run” command and check the boot.ini tab.

Good Luck!