XP Home > XP Pro 64 or Vista 64?

vbimport

so here is my rig in a nutshell:

AMD x2 4200
2 200 GB HDs
7500 GT Vid Card
3 GB Ram

I do alot of video and photo editing in After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere, and all the rest… I just recently upgraded from 2gb of ram to 3gb but havent seen much of an improvement at all. I know XP doesnt recognize OVER 3GB but i thought i would see a little bit of increase from 2 to 3gb…

anyway, would i see a big increase in performance if i jumped to a 64bit OS? im looking at the XP Pro 64 first, and then lastly a 64bit Vista (im not convinced its better yet). i’ve read there is no cutoff for 64 bit OSs as far as memory range (obviously you cant have more than your motherboard will allow either) but is there still a cutoff for software usage?

Whats my best option do you think? i read somewhere that after effects and photoshop cant even take advantage of MORE than 2GB of ram anyway, but would an OS switch to 64bit change that or help separately?

thanks in advance!

Hi,

if you don’t intend to add more RAM to your system, then stick with your current Windows version.
Otherwise consider Vista64 instead of XP64. Availability of XP64 drivers is rather poor, and things will not improve.

Michael

Just had one hell of a time finding XP64 bit driver for my HP PSC 1401, finally found a beta one that thankfully worked. XP32 & Vista drivers were readily available at HP’s site. If you go to Vista64 though, I would recommend minimum 4 GBs of Ram.

The main question is, will all of your software ( After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere, and all the rest )
work with a 64 bit OS without having to pay an enormous price for upgrades to the 64 bit compatible
version of the SW? :confused: If so then if I were moving to a 64 bit OS since there is more driver/hardware
support then there is for XP64 it would have to be Crapsta oops my bad I mean Vista. :wink:

ok… thanks

But, why do you say 4GB [B][U]min[/U][/B] for Vista 64? will it not run well? (and if i did go 64 bit, i WOULD eventually go to 4gb of ram). Do you think I should i upgrade my vid card at that point too?

Also, for those of you that use vista, is it as bad as everyone says? i’ve only SLIGHTLY played with it…

thanks

I installed Vista for the first time in April and haven’t switched back. I sold XP out around 8 hours after install, LMFAO. Vowed never to use XP again. As for ur question, if it ain’t broke, why fix it, heh. I think you’ll encounter more problems if you go 64. As for Vista, go for it!

Hi,[quote=uronmy49311;2133938] But, why do you say 4GB [B][U]min[/U][/B] for Vista 64? will it not run well? (and if i did go 64 bit, i WOULD eventually go to 4gb of ram).[/quote]There is no benefit of a 64bit OS with less than 4GB RAM. It might be even slightly slower than its 32bit variant.

Do you think I should i upgrade my vid card at that point too?
This only depends on your personal demand. For normal work as described in your initial post, there is no need and no benefit from a new VGA card. A faster VGA card is only recommended for games (if you are not happy with your old card). Michael

I don’t know who told you this but it’s bullshit I have 32 & 64B versions of vista ultimate and only 2gb of ram and the 64b version flies compared to the 32b version.
I should mention they are both installed on the same machine on identical HDD’s

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2133938]
Also, for those of you that use vista, is it as bad as everyone says? i’ve only SLIGHTLY played with it…

thanks[/QUOTE]

Both my PCs had XP Pro on until I decided to install Vista on my main machine, to see what it was like.

I’d never go back, I really like Vista. The other machine will be updated to Vista too when I upgrade the vid card.

So yes, I like Vista. :slight_smile: