XP help

Hey guys…quick question for you all. I am sure it has a simple solution but I have exhausted all my other options and tricks.

I have XP Pro but have recently got a different one (SP1a?). I recently reformated my computer, by wiping it clean, and starting over. When I did this, it didn’t wipe out my old XP Pro. EVerytime I turn on my computer, I get a black screen prompting me to choose between two different XP Pro and then the third option is to set up Windows.

My question is: How can I get rid of this stuff and have it set up like normal? Do I need to make a start up disk and then re-do it again?

Sorry if I didn’t explain this very well. This is really the only way I could think of.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

either manually edit your boot.ini file in the c: root or start msconfig and click the boot.ini tab.
Then just remove the entry for the install that you don’t want or set the timeout to 0.
WARNING if you screw up your boot.ini file your system will probably not boot

and set the one left to default (dunno what’ll happend if you don’t)

you shouldnt have a boot.ini file if you wiped your drive. fdisk the whole thing.

You needed to bootup with the XP cd and reformat from there, you reinstalled XP so you have 2 installtions on there. Unfortunatly XP reinstall is not quite like 9x was.

You could edit the boot.ini like what was suggested, make sure you back it up and if you screw up get into the drive via the command line prompt before XP boots.

Boot.ini is in the partition you installed XP, it’s a hidden file so make sure you can see hidden files first.

Edit to match this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=“Microsoft Windows XP Professional” /fastdetect

If I were you to avoid issues (since you shouldn’t have two installed) redo it all.

1. Stick in the XP cd in your drive

2. Reboot the PC

3. Boot from the XP cdrom and reformat from there & reinstall, it’s very easy.