XP fails to install on Ali GFX Pro PC-133 chipset

vbimport

I built a computer for a friend a couple years ago and it has run great. The owner wanted to upgrade from Windows 98SE to XP. After several attempts at installing XP, the computer was brought to me to give it a try. Trying to upgrade from 98 to XP, or a format/fresh install fails to install XP. All the setup files are copied to the hard drive, but upon the 1st reboot,a BSOD with an “…stop…86” error. A google of the error message points to faulty memory or CPU. I ran Mestest86 overnight with no errors. The CPU should be working since it runs Win98SE just fine. I have flashed to the latest BIOS, tried installing with a PCI video card… tried about everything I can think of (disabling onboard NIC, Modem, SND, etc), just can’t get past the setup. XP is obviously choking on a piece of hardware, I just cant figure it out. I installed XP on an identical mobo several months ago, so I don’t know why it fails to install on this particular mobo. Googling seems to point at SP2 incompatibility, but I’ve tried installing from a XP Pro CD, XP Pro SP1 Slipstreamed, and XpP Pro SP2 Slipstreamed, and they all fail. Any ideas anyone?

I

Amptron PIII-3754LMR
128 MB SD Ram
WD 20 gig HD
NEC CD writer
here is the mobo:
http://www.mainboard.cz/mb/amptron/m754lmr.htm

looks like you’re gona have to change each part until it works (even the cd-rom), could be a dodgy cpu dodgy board anything.

I tried a few more things. Installed some different memory modules and still no luck. I tried installing Windows 2000 and got an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP error which seems to be the same type of error that XP is giving ( STOP: 0X0000007F). I don’t have a socket 370 CPU laying around, so I can’t try a different processor. My only other idea would be power supply, but the only drives installed are a 5400 rpm HD and CD-RW. What type of CPU problem would cause it to not be able to install W2K/XP, but be able to run 98SE without issue? Seems kind of weird to me…
I realize it is an old POS, but they don’t need a fast, modern computer.

BTW, I emailed Amptron several weeks ago, but if you can believe it, they never replied :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Daemonicus;1014157]I tried a few more things. Installed some different memory modules and still no luck. I tried installing Windows 2000 and got an UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP error which seems to be the same type of error that XP is giving ( STOP: 0X0000007F). I don’t have a socket 370 CPU laying around, so I can’t try a different processor. My only other idea would be power supply, but the only drives installed are a 5400 rpm HD and CD-RW. What type of CPU problem would cause it to not be able to install W2K/XP, but be able to run 98SE without issue? Seems kind of weird to me…
I realize it is an old POS, but they don’t need a fast, modern computer.

BTW, I emailed Amptron several weeks ago, but if you can believe it, they never replied :-)[/QUOTE]

Thx to Google and your tipps, after 5 days modifing the damn motherboard, i done it finally, WinXP SP3 runs smootly… thx bro… :):):slight_smile:

Well so what finally made it happy just in case somebody else is still using one of those boards and CPU or has a similar issue?
I had a setup that wouldn’t work with my new, at the time, Seagate .10 SATA hard drive I had just bought, even with a outboard SATA adapter card. I finally had to trade the board back in and upgrade to a normal Nvidia 4 chipset at the time because apparently VIA chips have issues with some SATA drives.

[QUOTE=Dartman;2414347]Well so what finally made it happy just in case somebody else is still using one of those boards and CPU or has a similar issue?
I had a setup that wouldn’t work with my new, at the time, Seagate .10 SATA hard drive I had just bought, even with a outboard SATA adapter card. I finally had to trade the board back in and upgrade to a normal Nvidia 4 chipset at the time because apparently VIA chips have issues with some SATA drives.[/QUOTE]

It’s for my younger sister, mine is a much better one and I never had such issues… :disagree:

Well the board I had is not the same one you were dealing with, or even the same CPU, just pointing out the weird things that sometimes happen with a hardware upgrade, especially when your using a non main stream setup.
I’m just curious what finally made it work. Im on my second upgrade since that issue occured and MY sister is still using the last board that finally worked for me before this newer one :cool: