XP detects a fake drive i cannot uninstall

Ok this is the 2nd round against me and the samsung combo. LOL

Well, i noticed that when i first installed the combo, windows XP showed me 2 drives, i mean like if had 2 drives installed, the DVD and the CD-RW… so i though that was right… but some guy told me that was wrong.
That the combo must be shown in windows XP as a single drive.
So i decided to uninstall the combo and re-install it…
So i did… but when i restarted (with no combo or ANY cd drive connected to the mother, cause i just unplugged the IDE cable off) i found a drive… a fake one. And believe me this got nothing to do with Daemon Tools virtual drives, cause i uninstalled it, and before i did that i disabled ALL the virtual drives that DM could have made before.

So now im trying to find out how can i uninstall that fake drive that is shown in XP as a DVD drive.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Any other software installed, like Alcohol 120%? Or Nero 6’s ImageDrive applet?

No, none of em, i uninstalled everything that may create a virtual drive

does it cause any problems??

What does Drive Management have to say about it? Have you double-checked in Add-Remove Programs for a virtual drive?

What is the name/description of the fake drive?

Try:

Find out what controller/channel it is installed on, then uninstall that controller/channel. Reboot.

The name of this Fake device in the device manager is “Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device” Under DVD/CD-ROM drives category.

I tryed even to delete all the drivers that are shown in the propierties one by one… it wont uninstall lol.

Its kinda funny with no other devices plugged in, i uninstall it and when i restart it comes again to life…
A guy told me to kill the SCSI controller, but anyways its weird, so strange…

What does Drive Management have to say about it? Have you double-checked in Add-Remove Programs for a virtual drive?

“Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device” is the name given by Daemon Tools 2.x - I know you have uninstalled this. Emulation or Virtual Machine software maight also create this drive. Short of reinstalling Windows, try installing Daemon Tools again (a newer, version 3.x), then (maybe) uninstalling. This might give Windows a kick. However, if it’s not causing any problems it’s probably not worth worrying too much about (denosimo) - it’s likely just one of those things (like my system “A service or program failed to start on startup, check event manager”… nothing odd).

As rdgrimes suggests, check Drive Management to see what Windows makes of the drive (2K+, R-Click My Computer, Manage).

Thats what i have under SCSI devices, i use DeamonTools v3.46.
If its not causing any harm and you unable to delete the drive then just leave it allone.

[QUOTE=Denisimo;686200]Thats what i have under SCSI devices, i use DeamonTools v3.46.
If its not causing any harm and you unable to delete the drive then just leave it allone.[/QUOTE]

Having the same problem
Installed new SATA DVD burner
Dis connected the ribbon cable because new SATA drive used a diff. cable.
New drive was recognized but can`t uninstall the old one.
Pgms. like Sound Forge & Cubase keep searching for that drive and locking up the computer.
Have to crash it to re gain control
Nothing seems to work??

[QUOTE=BullShit;2294569]
Nothing seems to work??[/QUOTE]

Always wanted to quote BullShit…

Try booting into safe mode and deleting the device.

Did that too
No results

you may have a ghosted device go to control panel ,system, hardware,hardware manager ,look in view and enable show hidden devices and delete your device if there proberly in grey reboot and see if that resolves issue

Doesn`t work either
Is there a solution to this problem???

I don’t recall as I haven’t used Daemon Tools in years, but I wonder if that was the reason I stopped using it.

I tend to be a bit on the obsessive side, so I would reinstall windows or restore an image in this case. May or may not be worth the effort depending on your system prep methods, but it will definitely get rid of the offending device.

The best solution seems to be to use a better virtual drive emulator.