XP Defragmenter Ineffective

vbimport

Thanks to Geno888 and his excellent and informative advice I was able to install, partition and format my new second sata storage drive. The issue that I am having now is with my original hard drive. After moving my files over to the new drive I thought it good to defragment the old drive as I moved about 20 GB from it to the new drive. The issue is that although disc defragmenter states that I should defragment this drive, when I run it the numbers in the report do not change. I have run it 5 times now. Last night I ran it three times in a row and the first two time the numbers improved but since then they do not change. I have the same defragmentation percentages after as I did before. I have even “Clean Booted” and defragmented in “Clean Boot”, and have defragmented from “Command Line” with no effect. Is there a more effecient way of performing this action? I appreciate any information which you may be able to offer.
Randal

Can’t say what the problem might be but you can try another program to defrag. Here are a couple of links to some free ones that work very well.

http://www.defraggler.com/

Thanks for the reply. I have just downloaded and am going to try the trial version of Perfect Disc 2008 Professional and see if there is any improvement.
Randal

I use PD2008 myself.
However with XP (I use Vista 64 bit/so offline defragging quite important), you would find [B][U]SmartDefrag[/U][/B] more than adequate.
This is an excellent freebie.
Will run in the background too, if required.

I thank both of you for your helpful advice. I did download, install and run the trial version of Perfect Disc 2008. I selected the option of defragmenting at next reboot before XP loads. Perfect Disc appears to have worked very well. I did an analysis with XP defragmenter and the numbers were excellent and much improved after using Perfect Disc. I am considering purchase at the end of the trial period. I realize that my situation in this matter was someone different as I moved almost 25% of my original drive data to the new drive which would have left gaping holes on my drive. Before doing this none of my xp defragmentation analysis reports listed any MFT fragmented files, after the move it did. Thanks again.
Randal

I also use PD 08 it made a huge difference on my computer

I had used PD for several years and put SmartDefrag on my laptop and it works perfectly. Now running smartdefrag on all 3 of my systems.

Save your money and give SmartDefrag a run and set it for auto mode.

Does it have the option to defrag before operating system loads? Where do I find it on the web?
Thanks
Randal

Defraggler lets you pick files to Defrag. I use it all the time. It works great.

[QUOTE=Randal;2181076]Does it have the option to defrag before operating system loads? Where do I find it on the web?
Thanks
Randal[/QUOTE]

Just click on the red SmartDefrag link in my previous post. # 4.

Thanks, I’m looking into it now. The only question is can I set it so that it only runs when I want it to, or does it have to run all the time? I can’t find an answer to that question anywhere that I have seen.
Thanks
Randal

[QUOTE=Randal;2181096]Thanks, I’m looking into it now. The only question is can I set it so that it only runs when I want it to, or does it have to run all the time? I can’t find an answer to that question anywhere that I have seen.
Thanks
Randal[/QUOTE]

You can also check out Diskeeper if you are interested. I run the older 2008 Pro version and it’s great; the current one is 2009, and it has the file placement options not found in v.2008. Both versions also have boot-time defrag though that is not really required frequently since the MFT is defragged by Diskeeper from within XP itself. You can also set the times you want auto defrag to run.

Reg the original problem, yes the XP defragger doesn’t defrag system files, i think that’s why it did nothing even after 5 passes. I find that even after a clean install of windows + updating + Office Install + app install, the drive gets badly fragmented, so a proper defrag is necessary.:slight_smile:

Thanks Nightscribe, I will look into it.
Randal