XP accessory: 20MB of updates

I just posted the article XP accessory: 20MB of updates.

Aint this funny you buy Windows XP and then you find out the firewall isnt so save as you tought it supposed to be,Then you get this suprise a 20mb!! update already available for it.

SO whats next…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2704-XP-accessory-20MB-of-updates.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2704-XP-accessory-20MB-of-updates.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

ha ha

again,again :+

i don’t know why all these dumbass computer users are getting XP. do they think it’ll solve all there problems? ah well, i sold 20 copies of winxp in the last 2 days. my 6x cdrw drive is on overload.

Axia: XP may have holes and gaps in it like any M$ product out there, but it’s the most stable Windows ever. So that’s why you should upgrade from the other, crappier OSes like 9x or Me - if you need to use Windows, that is.

axia: I couldn’t agree more about XP(Who could :-), however what I wonder is why more ppl don’t put their $$ where their mouthes are and start pushing *nix to ppl. instead of XP or other M$ crap. Now I’m all for pushing the odd copy of whatever stuff is current, but sadly enough is’nt being done by ppl to alter the World Domination of M$$(which I’m sure we all agree leaves a LOT to be desired). Frankly I have little respect for ppl who keep bitching about M$ but still don’t seem to have the little energy it takes to preach *nix to their surroundings. Sure some ppl may be difficult to convert/help even if You spent a lifetime introducing them to *nix(and who really wants to spend THAT amount of time anyway) but most ppl actually ARE pretty open to the non-Windoze world. All it takes is a little persuasion now and then. Know this all sounds like a crusade, but hey we’re at war right :4 If nothing else I can breathe again now!

I use Linux myself, but sorry to say, the average dumb consumer could never use Linux - it is just to hard to use at the moment even with GNOME or KDE as you just cannot download a nice setup program and run it. Plus, the file system is wack (mainly the directory structure), I understand it is a standard and stuff, but I mean common the Windows directory structure is pretty good and easy to follow (i.e. My Documents, My Pictures, etc…). I love the penguin myself, but I know for sure my grandparents, nor my dad could even get shit done in the Linux world. It needs to be more idiot proof and easier to use to become main stream unfortantly. Just to note (because I know I am going to get flamed for putting down the penguin a bit), I have used Mandrake 8.0 and use RedHat 7.1 now and I am going to install RedHat 7.2 later tonight. I also use Windows 98 (HATE WITH A PASSON WinMe) and Windows 2000. I have also tried to push Linux on my friends, but not many seem interested as Windows works for them and they get it for free, just like myself :slight_smile:

Fish3669: What do you mean with “average dumb consumer”??? Are you that smart then? Instead of installing that commercial Redhat, install a REAL, better *nix version, like debian, or even FreeBSD. Redhat is for the average dumb Linux user :4 axia: by selling 20 copies, you help M$ to dominate even more. It doesn’t care if M$ gets money for it or not.

SaTAN: I think the average dumb consumer is pretty self explanatory - average Gateway owner Jon Doe knows nothing about his pc, except it runs Windows and has an Intel inside :r I know there are many experienced users out there, which could take on Linux and eventually figure it out and get used to it just like Windows, but there are so many people out there that cannot and they constitute the masses (most $$), which is a shame. Well considering I have been using Linux maybe for two months now, I might be the ‘dumb average Linux user’, but at least I have tried to use it and still use it. And since when is it a crime to be a Linux newbei? - first Linux people complain no one tries it, but when you do, then your a newbei bastard that don’t know jack shit and get bashed for it. That really encourages people to use Linux. Anandtech has a very nice article on Linux, which definitely states what needs to be done to Linux to make it become main stream and throw Microsoft off of its monopoly OS throne. http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.html?i=1548

RedHat or SlackWare, Newbie or Guru?? who really cares!! What’s important is that ppl have a genuine interest in learning/exploring new stuff and don’t expect others to spoonfeed them the knowledge. As Fish3669 more or less points out NOBODY starts out an expert. Some of the socalled knowledgeable ppl online really should lay off their arrogance. Arrogance has never helped ANYHING and isn’t the least bit constructive. That some “knowledgeable” ppl are reluctant to help other genuinely interested ppl(non-lamas) because “they don’t wanna give their knowledge away” I think speaks volumes about those socalled knowledgeable ppl. Really thats kinda pathetic and maybe indicates that those ppl might not be so knowledgeable at all. After all if they were THAT Elite surely they’d always be able to outsmart the ppl they help. Besides, having gone through the exploration process oneself will always give a deeper understanding of a given subject than if the Subject was spoonfed to You. So what’s ppl so afraid off ???

I don’t want linux. I’m happy with Windows XP. It plays all my games, it’s as stable as a desktop OS gets, it’s fast, hardware/program setup couldn’t be more simple and has an outstanding office suite. What the hell else do I want from a desktop PC. Linux is for control freaks and geeks. It’s made by geeks, for geeks. Most people have no desire for, or need for a UNIX based desktop. It’s a waste to preach to and treat people like they are stupid because they don’t want to use linux. They simply want a simple to use PC, that’s reliable and gets the job done. XP does that for them and me. Heck, it’s easy on the eyes too.

“Linux is for control freaks and geeks. It’s made by geeks, for geeks. Most people have no desire for, or need for a UNIX based desktop. It’s a waste to preach to and treat people like they are stupid because they don’t want to use linux.” ----------------------- Or maybe intelligent ppl are just fed up with the simplistic and monopolistic crap that keeps coming out of Redmond and look to *nix for a valid alternative.

OHHH ok ok ok ok ok… WinXP doesn’t blow my win2k away at this time! WinXP :r

Or maybe intelligent ppl are just fed up with the simplistic and monopolistic crap that keeps coming out of Redmond and look to *nix for a valid alternative. ------------------------ Obviously it’t not a valid alternative to most people. And calling people stupid tools of a monopoly will certainly never turn them on to your point of view. I got a free copy of Windows XP. It works amazingly. I’ve tried Linux twice and I have been extremely unhappy both times. It’s not what I want and Windows is. I don’t care about being leet. I don’t care about being uber geek. I don’t care about what zealots think about me and I don’t care if I am helping microsoft or not. Get it? I have a great OS that allows my PC to do what I want it to do, everything I could imagine wanting it to do and it does it well. Yes, regardless of what you read from maniacs on /., I use the product every day and can tell you it works very very well. I don’t write code. I’m not interested in running a web server. I’m not interested in debugging programs and I’m certainly not interested in editing text files and working from a command prompt for two weeks to get a modem to work or wait two months for some part time programmer to update their product so I can see a web page. I have what I like and I don’t care what linux fans think about it.