XJ-HD165H vs. XJ-HD166S

I just purchased a new DVD-Rom from Newegg.com. I was expecting to get a LiteOn XJ-HD166S, but instead I got an XJ-HD165H. Are there any big differences in these 2 drives? Is it worth the shipping cost and time to send it back and wait at least a week to get the correct drive? If the 166 is a better drive, please tell me. I know a lot of you will probably tell me to send it back and get what I paid for, but if the 165 is no different I really don’t see the point in wasting my time. The manufacturing date on the 165 that I received is Jan 2003.

Thanks

Same here. I bought the retail version. The model type on the box itself, but it was de 165H.
How can see what you buy, beside opening the box itself? Or is the 166S a bulk version?

The XJ-HD166S is always a retail model. I can buy the 165H only in bulk, but I can’t find the 166S bulk.

If you payed for a 166S model you should get what you payed for.

Call newegg.com’s customer service up and bitch about it. From their product description page, they only sell 166S retail and OEM.

Wait, had a 2nd look, under retail version, newegg specifically states you’re getting either 165H or 166S. Luck of the draw man. But if you bought the OEM version it’s guaranteed 166S.

damn, makes me glad i ordered mine oem a while back, or i could be in the same situation cuz i totally missed that u could get either of the drives (or maybe it didn’t say that when i ordered mine). here’s the text from the newegg site:

LITE-ON XJ-HD166S 16X DVD ROM Drive - Retail48X CD-ROM Access all format DVD-ROM/R/RW ,CD-ROM/R/RW title & disc Comes with Audio Cable, Manual and Power DVD Software. XJ-HD166S or, XJ-HD165H

it’s pretty misleading if u ask me, but it technically does say that u might receive the 165 instead of the 166S.

Yeah, those bastards at newegg do this sometimes. The last one they did was on the Samsung PC2700 RAM. Supposedly C version can OC like a mother, but newer D version can only do default. In the production description, newegg stated you’ll be getting either C or D. Hey, you can’t blame 'em. You’re taking chances when you want something good and cheap. Same thing w/ the Lite-On DVD. You can either get the 166S OEM version, which doesn’t come in the fancy blue box but does include a copy of PowerDVD and audio cable. Or you can get the 165H/166S retail version, which comes in the blue box and also includes PowerDVD and audio cable. Price of box, $2.

Thanks for the respones, but you didn’t answer one of my questions…Are there any big differences in the two drives? Would I suffer (performance wise) if I didn’t send the 165H back? Is the 166S that much better?

Thanx

improve of 166S over 165H (does it worth :wink:

Acoustic noise improvement
Disc scratch free design -
User protection against fragment of crashing disc
Tray in out noise improvement
Better dust proof
Protection wall on tray motor.
Symmetric suspension points ( good for vibration).
Light weight ( good for vibration)
Stronger structure against drop or shock

from cdrlabs forums http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7291

Originally posted by Stoner
Yeah, those bastards at newegg do this sometimes.

I agree newegg is taking quite a few chances now that they are a favorite of many people. Just recently they were price raping with the GA-SINXP1394, MSRP of $190 and they were charging $230 while other retailers offered it as low as $180…down to $210 now but I’ve lost some faith :frowning: . Still have good prices on most things though.

Originally posted by zeeter
[B]Thanks for the respones, but you didn’t answer one of my questions…Are there any big differences in the two drives? Would I suffer (performance wise) if I didn’t send the 165H back? Is the 166S that much better?

Thanx [/B]

Oh, my bad, I don’t think you’ve met Mr. yet. The question has been asked so many many times that it’s reached the stage of annoying.:Z

Re: Newegg

Well, a lot of their prices are still good. Take the $50 for 1700+ Tbred B deal for example two nights ago. I mean they can’t corner the market on every item. I think they have one of the top if not the best shipping system and customer service online.

Originally posted by zeeter
[B]Thanks for the respones, but you didn’t answer one of my questions…Are there any big differences in the two drives? Would I suffer (performance wise) if I didn’t send the 165H back? Is the 166S that much better?

Thanx [/B]

i just thought it was gonna be a moot point since u got the drive u “ordered.” as Stoner said, get to know Mr. Search, he’s a good man that answers many questions. :bigsmile:

Ok, got everything worked out now…I contacted Newegg and I ordered the OEM 166. I am sending my 165H back and they aren’t even charging me a restocking fee so that’s cool (6 bucks isn’t that much anyways, but money is money).

my 166s is the exact same as me bros 165h in everyway, i’m sure it has improvements but none are noticeable!

Heh this thread imo is like crying over spilt milk and the common human flaw of thinking that bigger number MUST mean better. I’ve used both drives and their functionality is the same. There is no practical difference.

Weshy.