XFX GeForce 8500GT

Hi guys, I don’t know if you can help me, but I’m really hoping someone can. I just purchased a used XFX GeForce 8500GT video card. When I install it in my system, and try to get it going everything will begin powering up and then reboots and tries again and again, only to keep rebooting. Each cycle takes about 1.5 seconds, never able to reach BIOS.

My system specs are as follows:
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI
CPU: AMD Athlon64 3500+
Previous video card: Asus Extreme N6600 256MB
RAM: 2x512MB OCZ + 2x1GB OCZ
PSU: Antec TPII-480 (480W)

My computer runs fine when I reinstall my old video card. The seller assures me the XFX was working fine last week, and has not suffered any trauma since its last use. Presuming the card is functional, can anyone think of any possible cause for my problem? I have been straight swapping the video cards, and ensuring it’s properly inserted. Otherwise, feel free to question anything you can think of.

Much thanks to everyone!

Try to boot into safe mode. You probably haven’t installed the drivers yet, but once in safe mode you should be able to.

I just reread your post more carefully. If you can’t get to the bios you can’t get to safe mode either, sorry for that.

It really sounds like a power supply problem but with 480w I don’t see how that is possible. Is this a PCIe card with it’s own power connector?

Did some more back and forth with the seller, who I admit is more knowledgeable than I. She recommended as a last resort to flash my BIOS, as my MB is older and may not be recognizing the card. So I did, and the system would boot but I would get no display. Again she advised me, and I cleared the CMOS. And now all is good!

I appreciate your attempt to aid, Whappo. And anyone else that gave a read. Hopefully my experience will help someone else in the future. Best to everyone!

Did some more back and forth with the seller, who I admit is more knowledgeable than I. She recommended as a last resort to flash my BIOS, as my MB is older and may not be recognizing the card. So I did, and the system would boot but I would get no display. Again she advised me, and I cleared the CMOS. And now all is good!

I appreciate your attempt to aid, Whappo. And anyone else that gave a read. Hopefully my experience will help someone else in the future. Best to everyone!