Xerox X16 DVD-r TTH02 - anyone know?

I just got a sample of a Xerox X16 DVD-r for inspection. The Manf. code with DVD identifier is TTH02. These are TDK first class discs.
I know that there are fakes of this disk made by MAM-America and MAM-Europe, which wrw apparently “legal” fakes made by Mitsui with permision of TDK, but are poor quality.
My quetion is: has anyone come accross these disks? Are they real or fake? How can I test them to identify the quality?
Thanks

Sounds like you’ve been reading too much of www.digitalfaq.com. There is no such thing as a legal fake; if the MAM discs with the TDK codes are made with TDK’s dye and use TDK stamper numbers, they’re real. You’re probably the first person to post about the Xerox discs. Where the discs were made will be somewhat of an indicator as to whether they are genuine or not.

Thanks for the response. That’s precisely where I read the info :iagree: Did’nt know it wasn’t correct.

This is what I get with DVDidentifirer:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:TTH02]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [TDK Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [TTH02]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

And this fron DVDinfo:
Complete Media Code
00000000 00 EA 00 00 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 84 0D 12 …@…R…
00000010 98 99 90 00 03 54 54 48 30 32 00 00 04 00 00 00 …TTH02…
00000020 00 00 00 00 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 06 09 0A 15

How can you tell where it’s manufactured?

Post serial and stamper code. That would probably give me a option to see if it’s official and who made it.

Try looking on the label of the packaging, if there is any.

Currently I only have one sample without the package.
The number stamped on it is :
MQP6N2 J124043631 2

Thanks

Based on that hub serial, the discs were made in Taiwan by CMC Magnetics using TDK technology, so they’re genuine.

eranos, depending on the drive(s) you have available, there are non-destructive tests you can run on that disc to get an idea of how well it will burn. For example with PlexTools on a Plextor drive and with QSuite on a BenQ drive. Which burner(s) do you use?

Not a bad suggestion. Btw, you can do those same tests using DVDScan with the latest Lite-On drives as well.

Thanks guys.
I have 2 Nec drives 3500AG and 3540A. Any non destructive test?
As for some writing tests - which test is the best to determine the quality of the disc?

I never got into NEC’s, eranros, so don’t know if they have such a test utility. As far as writing tests, there is “Create Data Disc” in Nero CD-DVD Speed ( download ). With any luck (need advice from NEC users) you may even be able to do a “Disc Quality” scan afterwards.

Thanks Cressida, I’ll post a question in a Nec forum.

There is no dedicated test tool for the NEC drives (like KProbe for LiteOn drives and PlexTools for Plextor drives), but all recent NEC burners starting with the NEC ND-3520AW can perform disc quality sans with Nero CD-DVD Speed.

NEC drives can be peculiar scanners though, and they don’t report PIE correctly (impossibly high PIE sometimes).
For some NEC drives it can be difficult to find a reliable scanning speed.