Xbox360 vs PS3

vbimport

Hi

Can anyone tell me which is a better buy- Xbox360 or PS3? I dont know anything about either of them. I want to know in terms of performance, game titles,after sales support etc and everything else that there is

I also want to know about their multiplayer capabilities and networking features. I also want to know about the various formats that each of them support. All I know is that xbox supports HD and ps3 uses blu-ray. Will blu-ray’s victory over Hd-dvd affect Xbox360? I also want to know about backward compatibilities with the older versions

Thank you

I own two PS3’s and I love them. Sony is great at console making and MS is fairly new to this market. In comparison between the two consoles, the 360 is cheaper but you have to pay a subscription fee to have online play (multi player online) where on PS3 it is free. The game library between the two is really just depending on you as a gamer. I say PS3 has some amazing games and have some very very amazing games coming this year and next year. The PS3 also upconverts standard dvds into full hd quality as well as playing Blu Ray dvds. The B/C is only available on the 60GB model and the original 80GB model. The 60GB model is no longer available and the 80GB model with B/C is available as part of the Metal Gear Solid bundle. Both the PS3 and Xbox360 are able to stream media directly from your PC/Mac to your TV via a wireless or wired connection. In addition to great games the PS3 is region free on ALL games. This means you could import games from other countries and play them with no problems at all. Also, the PS3 has the ability to allow you to install Linux on it as a second OS (aside from the PS3 OS) and you can also emulate old Sega, Nintendo,etc. games through Linux on your PS3. If you own a PSP it is able to connect to your PS3 through remote play anywhere in the world as long as there is Wi Fi available. Remote play will let you download things to your PS3 from the internet straight from your PSP. Some PS3 games can be played on the PSP as well. For all the features and “bells and whistles” the PS3 offers thee most bang for the buck…in my opinion. I haven’t covered all the features and capabilities of the PS3 and Xbox360 but you can check the official websites for both consoles and cnet.com for more info. Hope this helps a little bit. Good luck with your console purchase which ever one you pick.

Well if you seriously want to have a bar of any new Resident Evil, Gran Tursimo, Final Fantasy, or Metal Gear Solid, you have to get a PS3.

Some of those games, the 360 can’t compare with. They have no answer. Up to you though, I am just waiting for PS3 to become cheaper.

[quote=cd pirate;2104238]Well if you seriously want to have a bar of any new Resident Evil, Gran Tursimo, Final Fantasy, or Metal Gear Solid, you have to get a PS3.

Some of those games, the 360 can’t compare with. They have no answer. Up to you though, I am just waiting for PS3 to become cheaper.[/quote]

I agree. You do know that the 40GB is $300(US dollars) right? Well it is being replaced by an 80GB model for the same price, but the new 80GB model will have the exact features that the old 40GB model had. I changed my HDD (as is a standard option that SOny provides) from 80GB up to 320GB. The only specs for the HDD swap is the new HDD has to be 2.5" SATA and have 5400 or 7400 rpm. I am looking at the new Samsung 500GB’s that fit these specs and think I’ll be changing up to that soon.

Well recently the head of Sony games division, actually admitted that games developers are struggling to show the potential of the PS3.
Stating that the others.
Meaning MS & Nintendo were ahead currently.
So if even Sony feel & admit to that.
Think again about Sony being all that. :rolleyes:

Ok…might sound extremely lame, but does the 80gb version and the 40/60gb version make such a big difference? Whats the use of a hard disk anyway?

I also want to know if there is a way to back up games on either console, onto disks?

I just want to be sure before i purchase a console. I am from India, and they are pretty costly over here. The PS3(40 gb) is close $600 and the Xbox 360 is around $530. What about the future of these two console? Now that Hd-dvd has lost out to Blu-ray, will the Xbox be affected?

Also i want to know about the whole modding business

I’m fairly sure a heap of games load plenty of their content onto the hard drive to reduce loading times. So having a bigger faster hard drive would help to store more games and save on loading times.

There’s not much about modding that I have seen. I would wait as it’s still fairly new. Usually the first few models are no good for modding anyways.

In Australia the PS3 still costs like 700 bucks…

[quote=pooi;2104418]Ok…might sound extremely lame, but does the 80gb version and the 40/60gb version make such a big difference? Whats the use of a hard disk anyway?

I also want to know if there is a way to back up games on either console, onto disks?

I just want to be sure before i purchase a console. I am from India, and they are pretty costly over here. The PS3(40 gb) is close $600 and the Xbox 360 is around $530. What about the future of these two console? Now that Hd-dvd has lost out to Blu-ray, will the Xbox be affected?

Also i want to know about the whole modding business[/quote]

On the PS3 you can back up some data on external HDD but I have also seen programs that claim to be able to “copy” games onto Blu Ray disc. As for HD DVD no it won’t affect Sony at all and Sony is getting ready to allow Microsoft to become licensensed to use Blu Ray as well, but the catch there is the Xbox its self cannot play a BR disc, so you would need to buy a seperate MS Blu Ray player (very very pricey) so Still your choice but all in all PS3 offers you more bang for your money. I’d say if you want to save some money look at getting a 40GB and then you can always swap out the HDD for a bigger one because Sony allows this and it doesn’t void the warranty. When I bought my first PS3 it was $600 in the USA. 40GB models are cheaper as they go for $300 or $400 hundred right now in the USA. What are your options as far as importing a console? Would that save you any money? Ps3 plays games region free so you could still buy your games there in your country with no problems at all. You would need to find out what region you’re in as far as Blu Ray movies though because those are region coded and you may have to import all your BR discs from the USA

I think when it come’s to one or the other i think it’s going to come down to personally opinion PS fanboy’s will say PS3 regardless , 360 fansboy’s will say 360 regardless but myself and a lot of gamers will say ether depends on the games you like playing. Personally i have a 360, Wii and many others just missing s PS3 at the mo

[QUOTE=cd pirate;2104238]Well if you seriously want to have a bar of any new Resident Evil, Gran Tursimo, Final Fantasy, or Metal Gear Solid, you have to get a PS3.[/QUOTE]

For me i don’t like GT, FF or MGS but Resident Evil love it but Res 5 is coming out on the 360 any way so i will get it on that. For me i think the PS3 is still a bit much price wise, i will get one once the price goes down to around the £200 mark unless God Of War 3 comes out before the price goes that low i will then get one, i must play GOW3.

@jaewest1:

I dont wanna get it imported as it will be costlier due to taxes and other customs and stuff

Since, hd-dvd is going out, and there might be a need to buy a separate Bluray player for the xbox 360, is the PS3 a better option? Does the PS3 support normal dvd and dual layer dvd and other formats?

I have both consoles,and I gotta tell you,you can’t go wrong with the PS3…I use it mainly for it’s awesome Blu-ray playback,and a great gaming machine to boot!..Not say that the Xbox is chopped liver either…To each their own!..

[quote=pooi;2104586]@jaewest1:

I dont wanna get it imported as it will be costlier due to taxes and other customs and stuff

Since, hd-dvd is going out, and there might be a need to buy a separate Bluray player for the xbox 360, is the PS3 a better option? Does the PS3 support normal dvd and dual layer dvd and other formats?[/quote]

Yes it does support dvd dual layer dvd-r dvd-rw and it will upconvert dvd into HD quality as well. 360 is nice too for some stuff but I don’t like having 14 dvds to load if I’m playing a Final Fantasy game so 360 just not enough features and too much extra work for me.