Xbox360 external HD DVD drive may receive Vista support

I just posted the article Xbox360 external HD DVD drive may receive Vista support.

Everyone  is curious...can the external HD DVD drive coming for the Xbox 360, be utilized  with only a PC. A while back, we heard from an Internet source,  Gizmodo,  that Microsoft confirmed the...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12569-Xbox360-external-HD-DVD-drive-may-receive-Vista-support.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12569-Xbox360-external-HD-DVD-drive-may-receive-Vista-support.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

It’s too bad I have no interest in either using Windows Vista, or buying an XBox 360. Vista has too many restrictions on legitimately purchased software, and the XBox 360 just doesn’t have any games that appeal to me. If they could make the HDDVD-ROM compatible with Win2K or at LEAST WinXP then I might be persuaded to buy one (but only because Serenity is only on HDDVD at the moment :P)

ok so you ain’t interested in 360 or vista, but i wasn’t interested in knowing this so why say it. it’s like me sayin i ain’t buyin a new car next week

The thing that is exciting to me, is we are getting more pieces to the puzzle already. Maybe it will not be too long and we can rip HD DVD or someone will create a workaround for HDCP etc. What is nice, is we have a very cheap in comparison HD DVD drive to use for experimentation.

it’s got to be a good move for Microsoft, look at the millions of pc’s out there

There is no real reason why it would not work with vista at playing HD-DVD movies. After all, its just a bog standard HD-DVD drive in an 360 shape external case. It shouldn’t have custom firmware like the 360’s DVD drive as this add-onn is not meant for games, only for watching films. So short of microsoft actually requesting some kind of block for to do all this we should be able to do it no problem. It will go along way to helping HD-DVD become the next gen standard especially since its so cheap an compatible with PC’s. Screw Sony, Blu-Ray and the PS3.

I agree. At least that this is a good move by MS. Since many versions of Vista will have Media Center installed. MS always wanted Windows in the living room, to expand potential sales. This might accelerate that goal. Now, we need to see if there is going to be a good and even cheaper internal HD DVD player soon for PCs. Also, (and this is really stretching) we have to wonder if someone will make an external Blu-ray player, and make sure it works on Vista, so they do not lose out.

I think it would be silly for the drive to only work in Vista, especially since the drive is coming out in November while Vista is still not available. If the drive doesn’t come with the software to decode the movies in Vista, would the software that comes later support XP? How could it not, through a Vista only DRM? DirectX 10 only?

There is no reason why it shouldn’t work with Windows XP as well (both WinDVD and PowerDVD for HD-DVD state Windows XP Service Pack 2 as minumum OS)

There is no reason why it shouldn’t work with Windows XP as well (both WinDVD and PowerDVD for HD-DVD state Windows XP Service Pack 2 as minumum OS)