Xbox Live support for original Xbox discontinued

vbimport

Xbox Live support for original Xbox discontinued.

[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/2010/02/7quiCW.jpg[/newsimage]Microsoft today announced it will end Xbox Live support for the original Xbox game console, as the service will be officially dropped on April 15.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/xbox-live-support-for-original-xbox-discontinued-25753/](http://www.myce.com/news/xbox-live-support-for-original-xbox-discontinued-25753/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“I understand that some gamers will be upset that they won’t be able to play some of their favorite games online any more — but if this helps Microsoft enhance Xbox Live even further, then I am all for it.”

How does turning off a much-loved service help enhance a community?

I wonder who still uses the Xbox 1 for original games and multiplayer. I also wonder how people with a yearly subscription will be compensated.

How dose this help?.. Halo2 will loose support? Do you mean for the 360 too!!!

Screw that Halo3 sucked but man i can still play Halo and Halo2 for HOURS…

well for me personally… the only good use of the original XBox1 (especially since i got a 360) is for…

XBMC (XBox Media Center) for .avi playback and Emulators (i.e. SNES/Genesis/N64 etc) … which it can be made to do 100percent free if you know what to do :wink:

i personally use it mostly for .avi playback as it’s the best XviD/DivX player out there especially if you got a wireless controller for it.

[QUOTE=glamdring92;2492331]How dose this help?.. Halo2 will loose support?[/quote] Any multiplayer game on the Xbox 1 will not work anymore via Xbox Live. Probably will still work via System Link or system link tools like xfire.

Do you mean for the 360 too?!?!
No. That will still work. In fact: Download the Halo Channel for the 360 and i do believe you can even play and get achievements for Halo 2. Don’t know about Halo 1, probably not.

Screw that Halo3 sucked but man i can still play Halo and Halo2 for HOURS…
You still can. Just use system link and some nice tool.

[QUOTE=debro;2491854]How does turning off a much-loved service help enhance a community?[/QUOTE]

That’s code-speak for “we do what we want”. I’ve heard other companies use the guise of “enhancing service” to decommission or change key features. What a joke.

[QUOTE=NBR;2492550]well for me personally… the only good use of the original XBox1 (especially since i got a 360) is for…

XBMC (XBox Media Center) for .avi playback and Emulators (i.e. SNES/Genesis/N64 etc) … which it can be made to do 100percent free if you know what to do :wink:

i personally use it mostly for .avi playback as it’s the best XviD/DivX player out there especially if you got a wireless controller for it.[/QUOTE]
Cough PS3 Cough.
I’ve got the wii to play avi’s, Xbox to play Avi’s, Network media boxes to play avi’s, PC’s to play avis.
PC’s are best, but too much hassle with controls & booting times.

PS3 wins hands down.

PS3 wins hands down.

I disagree simply because of costs. PS3 costs $200+ (?) … XBox costs roughly $50? (although depending on what Wireless controller you get that can boost cost some (probably around $80 range) which makes it slightly less appealing)

so for anyone wanting to play standard def video on a regular TV i still think XBox1 is the best option since when it’s running XBMC it’s about as good as you can get for standard def video playback.

although can PS3 play HD files like x264 (i.e. .mkv) files? … if it can, it might be a solid choice for Hi-Def stuff. (i asked this simply because x264 is the standard like how XviD is to DVD. x264 is to Blu-Ray)

although it seems nowadays people are generally getting more and more into HI-DEF stuff in which case if someone don’t already have a XBox and is considering possible use of HD stuff on a fancy LCD/Plasma TV then a PS3 might be a better option in the long run assuming it can play x264 files directly without conversion.

so i guess bottom line is… it just depends on your situation as to which is better…

…but strictly speaking ‘standard def TV’ (to watch the .avi files on) and you had to go out and buy a console for .avi playback i think XBox running XBMC is the best option simply because it has a lot of features/options and don’t cost a arm and a leg. i would say it’s better than a stand alone player because of the options you got (especially if you got a router for the PC as you can setup files shares etc etc) although for someone wanting to just plug it in and burn a disc and play the video files they might be better off using a stand alone dvd player that can do DivX but me personally it’s worth learning the softmod stuff (which is 100percent free using XBoxHDM etc although requires hotswapping) as once it’s done and you got a wireless controller it’s just plain better than a stand alone dvd player that can do DivX/XviD.

PC’s are best, but too much hassle with controls & booting times.

while that’s not a bad option i overall disagree because they are nice with certain software (i.e. The KMPlayer etc) but for people wanting output to there TV’s i would say the XBox console is a overall better option because most people probably won’t have a huge monitor for there PC so for them watching video on the PC probably is a less appealing option.

plus i think in a way a PC is WORSE than a regular standard def TV on AVI files simply because you can see more flaws in the video if you got a decent sized LCD on a PC as it’s easier to see the flaws if your resolution is pretty high on the LCD monitor.

Hi, AEA here from halospy.ucoz.com, just wanted to say my thoughts on this; The halo franchise is a pillar to the stability of Microsoft game studios, and to shut down the live network to such a dedicated fan base is a disgrace. For moders and casual gamers alike, this day will be remembered as the day Microsoft shat on it’s original fanbase to make a quick buck. Noboby cares about those stupid avatars or Twitter for that matter, we don’t want our systems getting any slower, were paying enough for the same network on other consoles which is otherwise free, instead of more exploits, they should make the original live completely free of charge. This is disgusting.

-AEA

The halo franchise is a pillar to the stability of Microsoft game studios, and to shut down the live network to such a dedicated fan base is a disgrace.
Dude, the game is almost 6 years old. I’ve seen EA games online support getting discontinued within 2 years. If you are so desperately wanting to support it, get a fanbase, hook up servers and do so. Many others have done this for various games. I’m sure Microsoft or Bungie would like to assist you if possible.

For moders and casual gamers alike, this day will be remembered as the day Microsoft shat on it’s original fanbase to make a quick buck.
Err how does removing a service earning them a quick buck? They discontinued the service. Sure, they might be saving money, but earning?? I don’t get that.

Noboby cares about those stupid avatars or Twitter for that matter, we don’t want our systems getting any slower, were paying enough for the same network on other consoles which is otherwise free, instead of more exploits, they should make the original live completely free of charge. This is disgusting.
Who are those “we” you are referring to? Can you name ten people belonging to that “we” group of yours? Say “I” , not “we”, if you have no idea who “we” actually are. “You” are not “we”.

There are millions of people who use Twitter. Millions who use avatars. Millions who slap their crap on Facebook. I don’t like it either, but i get the idea. Perhaps millions of people might have some democratic value for a profiting company.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2510291]Dude, the game is almost 6 years old. I’ve seen EA games online support getting discontinued within 2 years. If you are so desperately wanting to support it, get a fanbase, hook up servers and do so. Many others have done this for various games. I’m sure Microsoft or Bungie would like to assist you if possible.

Err how does removing a service earning them a quick buck? They discontinued the service. Sure, they might be saving money, but earning?? I don’t get that.

Who are those “we” you are referring to? Can you name ten people belonging to that “we” group of yours? Say “I” , not “we”, if you have no idea who “we” actually are. “You” are not “we”.

There are millions of people who use Twitter. Millions who use avatars. Millions who slap their crap on Facebook. I don’t like it either, but i get the idea. Perhaps millions of people might have some democratic value for a profiting company.[/QUOTE]

now to your first point, due to personal issues right now I have no access to a 360 as of now, let alone the ability to run a server, with that being said, I’d be interested as would more dedicated users on my site for example, but for some people in the world, such things are simpler said than done.

Second point, it’s not the act of removing the service, rather the reason, sacrificing an entire network for the reason of bringing such important new features, but more to the point, what I suspect is a dirty technique to empty more wallets on the 360.

We was maybe too big a word, so apologies, I’m sure it ruined your day, but by we, I speak on behalf of the people of halospy, who active percent of agree with what I’ve said.

Hell, of course they use it, it’s on the system, but I believe that it’s unneccesairy, i have a certainty that nobody was particularly infuriated when those features weren’t there from the beginning, and such things that simply can be used on a computer should not come at the cost of an entire gaming network. And you can tell all the people loosing the live network that that was democratic.

[QUOTE=AntiEmoAlliance;2510298]now to your first point, due to personal issues right now I have no access to a 360 as of now, let alone the ability to run a server, with that being said, I’d be interested as would more dedicated users on my site for example, but for some people in the world, such things are simpler said than done.[/quote] Agreed.

Second point, it’s not the act of removing the service, rather the reason, sacrificing an entire network for the reason of bringing such important new features, but more to the point, what I suspect is a dirty technique to empty more wallets on the 360.
Read through the marketing texts. It’s just not worth it and they use the budgets for different things now.

We was maybe too big a word, so apologies, I’m sure it ruined your day, but by we, I speak on behalf of the people of halospy, who active percent of agree with what I’ve said.
So, how many people are we talking about here? It doesn’t show on your ucoz site.

Hell, of course they use it, it’s on the system, but I believe that it’s unneccesairy, i have a certainty that nobody was particularly infuriated when those features weren’t there from the beginning, and such things that simply can be used on a computer should not come at the cost of an entire gaming network. And you can tell all the people loosing the live network that that was democratic.
Perhaps it’s wise for people not to expect endless support and resources from companies whose sole purpose it is to make profits. You might think they are passionate and that they show passion and love for the global community, but if they cannot earn anything while spending a lot of money, they will lose that passion instantly.

Next to that, we’re talking about Microsoft here. Not the first company that comes to mind when you think about excellent support, stability and lifelong product maintenance. They have power and they know it.

It’s been six years, it’s over. It’s been fun.

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2510303]Agreed.

Read through the marketing texts. It’s just not worth it and they use the budgets for different things now.

So, how many people are we talking about here? It doesn’t show on your ucoz site.

Perhaps it’s wise for people not to expect endless support and resources from companies whose sole purpose it is to make profits. You might think they are passionate and that they show passion and love for the global community, but if they cannot earn anything while spending a lot of money, they will lose that passion instantly.

Next to that, we’re talking about Microsoft here. Not the first company that comes to mind when you think about excellent support, stability and lifelong product maintenance. They have power and they know it.

It’s been six years, it’s over. It’s been fun.[/QUOTE]

Now don’t get me wrong, I hate Microsoft generally, and I know there tricks, but I personally like to believe that some things in life can buy more than money.

Now halospy doesn’t harbour many more than a few thousand members, but one person is enough to have an acknowledged opinion.

And no, I get the fact that half of them don’t have souls, I still regardless have a belief to discourage selfish acts, for example, I live in new Zealand, we havean ACC here, the national party cut alot of their funding, and now for people who are victims of rape for example to get help from the acc, they have to be classified on record as having a mental illness meaning that it’s very difficult to become employed. National had the power, xboxlive is nothing near as important as that, no game or anything related to games matters that much, but it’s still injustice, and just because they have power doesn’t mean people shouldn’t try to fight it, even if it’s simply posting in disagreement.

Halo 2 lives on!!

“Throughout the past week, a small group of dedicated Halo 2 players kept their Xbox’s on so that they could enjoy the game for a while longer,” Bungie Community member “Joe Campbell” wrote in a forum. He said even though Microsoft has turned off support for Halo 2, the players have been able to keep playing the game because they haven’t turned their consoles off and maintained a constant connection to Xbox Live since April 15.

Now that… is awesome!! :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mr. Belvedere;2514046]Halo 2 lives on!!

“Throughout the past week, a small group of dedicated Halo 2 players kept their Xbox’s on so that they could enjoy the game for a while longer,” Bungie Community member “Joe Campbell” wrote in a forum. He said even though Microsoft has turned off support for Halo 2, the players have been able to keep playing the game because they haven’t turned their consoles off and maintained a constant connection to Xbox Live since April 15.

Now that… is awesome!! :)[/QUOTE]

That is outstanding. And it’s brilliant to see people so dedicated to what they love. It’s funny to think that a few xbox live members now own halo 2 online. That brightened up my day. And good for them, maybe this will send a message to mr.nelson and the real community wants.