XBOX DVD can't read certain media when burnt with ND-3550A

I have just bought a NEC ND-3550A (firmware 1.05) since my old Philips DVDRW824 commited suicide. The media i have used mostly is Platinum DVD+R. DVD-Identifier info:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:RITEK-R03-002]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
Media Type ID : [R03]
Product Revision : [002]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Ive used it mostly since it was one of a few tested brands that always worked well with the Philips DVD. These media when burnt with the Philips is always readable in my xbox dvd - a Samsung SDG-605B firmware x010 according to XBMC. But when burnt with the NEC my xbox can’t read them (although they are readable to the NEC).

Another brand tested, which i’ve seldom used since they often gave me coasters with the philips is One-tech DVD-R. DVD-Identifier info:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG05]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG05]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

These media (so far - two discs tested) seems to work well with the NEC and gets readable in the Xbox.

Could it be that the NEC is good at burning DVD-R and not so good at burning DVD+R, and vice versa for the Philips? Still both drives claim to be compatible with both standards. Or is there a better explanation for this behaivour?

Well, Ritek media in general isn’t that great. I’d recommend trying better media like Verbatim’s MCC or Taiyo Yuden’s YUDENT02 or TYG02.

For my NEC 3550A it seems to like DVD-R slightly better than +R but it burns both well.

Do your +R DVDs that you burn with the 3550 have bitsetting enabled? I have the same Samsung drive in my XBOX (which, btw, is probably the best of all the drives that Microsoft used in the XBOX, better than Thomson or Philips, generally). Having said that, I’ve found if I enabled bitsetting in my drive’s firmware, I had a much higher success rate with XBOX reading, regardless of the drive the XBOX has. If you’re using the firmware included with your burner, you might want to try downloading from Liggy & Dee’s firmware site @ http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/ - instructions are there; now that I think about it, NEC drives by default don’t have bitsetting in their firmware, so you may have to use other firmware.

P.S. If you’re not up to speed on bitsetting, basically the firmware tells the burner to burn +R media with a DVD-ROM flag - drives which don’t like +R normally will tend to read it when the -ROM flag is set.

[B][U]The NEC 3550 does not burn good DVD+R images for XBOX, you must use DVD-R[/U][/B] if you want DVD’s burned on the NEC 3550 (1.06 firmware) to be readable on all XBOX drives. This problem also affects the NEC 3500, but apparently not the NEC 3540.

I tore my hair out on this one. Bitsetting doesn’t make any difference, nor does using really good media. I have an ISO image which, even when burned on Taiyo Yuden DVD+R media (the quality scans look GREAT), has some files which are unreadable on an XBOX with a Thomson drive. The DVD IS readable on an XBOX with a Philips drive.

At first I thought it was the fault of the Thomson drive, but I swapped it for another Thomson drive and got the exact same failures reading the exact same files. The same image burned on DVD+R by a Benq 1650 or a Sony DRU500A reads just fine, even burned on lousy TDK (CMC) media. The NEC 3550 is definitely producing some kind of artifact that the Thomson drive is sensitive to, but which doesn’t show up on a disc scan.

It doesn’t matter what software is used to burn it (Nero or Alcohol), and I have moved the drive to another computer and gotten the same results.

Interestingly, I also have an NEC 3540 (1.04 firmware) which does not have this problem. But the NEC 3550 (and also the 3500), writing the same image, will create DVD’s which fail every time, often reading the same files.

My personal view is that the Thomson drive XBOX is pointing out a problem with DVD+R’s created by NEC drives, a problem which does not affect DVD’s created on other drives. I will not write any more DVD+R’s on NEC drives, I will either use DVD-R or use a different drive.

Bottom line: [U][B]If you own an NEC drive, use DVD-R for writing DVD’s for XBOX. If you use DVD+R they won’t be reliable on XBOX’s with Thomson drives.[/B][/U]

I have to agree with kdoren.