Xbox 360 may add HD DVD support for movies, but not games

I just posted the article Xbox 360 may add HD DVD support for movies, but not games.

After some confusion on whether or not the Xbox 360 will take on  HD DVD support, Microsoft's chairman Bill Gates has confirmed that a later version  of the Xbox 360 will indeed...
Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11066-Xbox-360-may-add-HD-DVD-support-for-movies-but-not-games.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11066-Xbox-360-may-add-HD-DVD-support-for-movies-but-not-games.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

This could be likened to when the dreamcast came out before the ps2, and only had a CD drive in it. I think the DC would of done a helluva lot better with a dvd drive in it, its graphics rivaled the ps2. I think its a big mistake for microsoft not to put a high density optical format drive in their unit. I think it will really contrain game developers, as when graphics getter better, games take up more space. i guess microsoft can always change their mind later, but it would really screw over people who bought the first units.

simple solution dont buy the unit if it aint got what you want in it companies sit up when their product aint moving and you the buyer is the one with the power just resist temptation this tatic will work time and time again

I am pissed at Microsoft over many decisions re. 360. They are just trying to rush to market before Sony. - No HD-DVD drive in initial version, huge blunder, HD-DVD is only a few months away. The games will soon be multi game discs now since there’s not much room on 1 DVD for a real High Def game with huge environments (many textures) and HD-video cut scenes. At least it will be easier to back them up them to DVD-R. - Cannot use current XBOX controllers or HDTV cables (screw the customer). Thanks MS. - No built in Hard drive so developers have to code for the lowest common denominator. Great. If MS and Toshiba really wanted HD-DVD to succeed they would have worked together to find a way to get HD-DVD drives into the 360 from day 1, for an “affordable” cost. That would have changed the whole HD media market and blu ray would not be the sure winner that it now seems to be.

“- No HD-DVD drive in initial version, huge blunder, HD-DVD is only a few months away. The games will soon be multi game discs now since there’s not much room on 1 DVD for a real High Def game with huge environments (many textures) and HD-video cut scenes. At least it will be easier to back them up them to DVD-R.” If they included an hd-dvd drive right now it would drive up the price of the box atleast another 200 bucks since intitial figures show that an hd-dvd reader is going to cost around the lines of 500 bucks compared to the 30-40 bucks it will cost for just a dvd player so that pretty much takes the xbox 360 out of the major amount of consumers hands. Second none of the hd-dvd drive providers will have the means to supply millions and millions of drives by the time of nov 22nd or anytime between now and atleast May. There is no way they could of got hd-dvd in on time and on such a low budget.

I also think that it is good that did not include HD DVD, those drives are currently just to expensive, if they include them now, but if they include them later, they will be much slower, but maybe it would be best to just not include them (also not in new revisions but only make them cheaper, but of course this depends on how much the price difference between HD DVD and DVD drives will be later)…

"There is no way they could of got hd-dvd in on time and on such a low budget. " I don’t buy that for a second. Do we really believe the manufacturing cost of a HD-DVD reader is that much higher than DVD reader ? I do not. It has similar mechanisms with an optical reader that can focus different wavelengths etc… big deal. Sony says their blu-ray drives should cost them about $100 per PS3. If HD-DVD is closer to DVD in technology than blu-ray, then I believe Toshiba and MS could have found a way to add it one to XBOX360 for less than an $100, maybe even $50, taking a loss. The loss in money would be considered an investment to make the format succeed. Big HUGE mistake. I guess you haven’t read about all the game developers out there taht think it is really lame too. They say its absolutely rediculous that they resort to standard DVD to store all this new HD content. Like I said, get ready for multi-disc games.
[edited by ivid on 03.11.2005 22:10]

You cant just think that way sure they could of done it for a lower cost but think about all the other things that went into afftect the console was being developed when the current Xbox was just on the market. You dont know howmany things they might of needed to change inorder to be able to put an HD drive in there Sony is developing there format so they know exactly how the final product would turn out. But microsoft isnt what would happen if microsoft built the Xbox 360 around a HD-DVD fromat that was later changed. They wouldnt be able to read the movies and the Console would cost more with no ability to play the movies. Not to mention how buggy the first drives might be remmember the DVD-ROM drive on the early PS2’s. Also if HD-DVD fails Micosofts console might look like a faliure because it backed the standard turning consumers away.
[edited by Wasted Grunt on 05.11.2005 21:31]