XBOX 360 HD-DVD addon as Blu ray reader

vbimport

Hi,Is it possible to use The xbox hd-dvd player to read bluray discs?
Maybe with a firmware change or driver change or just software?
Not interested in playing the discs, just being able to read the contents and transfer to harddrive.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

No.

If you invented firmware to change an hd-dvd player into a blu-ray player or vice versa, you could make a sh*t-ton of money.

[QUOTE=Some Random Guy;2014496]
If you invented firmware to change an hd-dvd player into a blu-ray player or vice versa, you could make a sh*t-ton of money.[/QUOTE]

Which makes me believe that someone [I]would [/I]do it.
Are you saying its not technically possible?
Please define your NO answer.
Ive seen firmware that change drives to think its another type of drive,make drives go faster, etc. you know what I mean.
I’m specifically asking about the XBOX 360 HD-DVD addon as it is basically a PC drive in a housing.

No, the HD DVD and BR discs are physically different so a firmware update would not be able to make it support BR. Toshiba made the drive for MS so I highly doubt it has a dual format reading mechanism.

An HD-DVD reader cannot read BD discs, period. The optical calibrations are completely different, and require different hardware.

Yup, furthermore I don’t think the MS HDi interactive software is compatible with the Java based Blu-Ray systems.

Ok,Thank you.
So the HD-DVD/BLU-Ray combo players have seperate lasers, hardware for their respective discs?

[QUOTE=dvd_freak;2015375]Ok,Thank you.
So the HD-DVD/BLU-Ray combo players have seperate lasers, hardware for their respective discs?[/QUOTE]

Yes, or a special combo optical unit that’s designed for this purpose.

[QUOTE=dvd_freak;2015328][U]Which makes me believe that someone [I]would [/I]do it.[/U]
Are you saying its not technically possible?
Please define your NO answer.
Ive seen firmware that change drives to think its another type of drive,make drives go faster, etc. you know what I mean.
I’m specifically asking about the XBOX 360 HD-DVD addon as it is basically a PC drive in a housing.[/QUOTE]

It is about “can do”, and it is NEVER ever possible.