Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on reaches 92,000 sales in US

vbimport

I just posted the article Xbox 360 HD DVD add-on reaches 92,000 sales in US.

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 HD DVD drive add-on has sold 92,000 sales in the US by the end of 2006 according to the NDP market research group. While this is still far off the 687,300 PS3 sales where…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12882-Xbox-360-HD-DVD-add-on-reaches-92000-sales-in-US.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12882-Xbox-360-HD-DVD-add-on-reaches-92000-sales-in-US.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Amazing how with all the Java support, home networking, home media gallery, and preferred release dates going for Blu-Ray, the only thing you can read about now is HDDVD. Even heard a manager say Blu-Ray would win because it was carrying movies before they hit theaters. Where are those pre-release BD’s? It’s the same low tech story that Wii was. People always go for the low tech solutions. If the studios keep supporting HD-DVD and software players, HD-DVD is a done deal and it’s time to look for a new job.

HD DVD is not low tech. Generalizing a bit, the only real difference between the two is HD-DVD opted for for a more traditional approach in focusing the laser the same distance through the plastic layer as with a DVD. Blu-Ray data is much closer to the surface, hence the need for the “scratch proof” coating. Of course this had the negative side effect of reducing the capacity of HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray. Real world difference from what I understand is 22GB vs. 13GB. Of course the potential burn capacity was the main reason all the fanboys jumped on the BluRay bandwagon. However, the future is lining up that Flash hard drive and other technology will eclipse blue laser disc burning before it ever really matures.

The reason you don’t hear a lot of the news about BluRay is because a lot of news sites aren’t POSTING it… I’ve been wondering why myself

From what I’ve read elsewhere this capacity thing isn’t in favour of Blu-Ray anyway if you actually look at ‘what’s currently available’ rather than ‘theortically possible’. HD-DVD discs shipping are currently double-layer, ie 30GB (and also MPEG4). Blu-Ray discs shipping at the moment are only single-layer, ie just 25GB (and many are actually just MPEG2). From that, HD-DVD clearly CURRENTLY has the technical edge…obviously, in the future it could be different, but just recall unfulfilled promises from optical drive/disc/content producers in the past!

Well, This does make a great upgrade to a HDCP complaint computer since it is USB and Micro$oft has released drivers for the memory on the drive so it does not show up in device manager as unknown. This is a great drive hands down for USB 2.0 stand point in having a high definiton external drive for a computer and xbox 360. Also with HD-DVD there is speculation that there will be a third layer added to HD-DVD and have each layer hold 17GBs of data with a shorter wavelength on the disc. This disc with hold approxmately 51GBs of data. Who knows what will happen, but this is by far a cheep HD-DVD external drive for a computer.

Well, This does make a great upgrade to a HDCP complaint computer since it is USB and Micro$oft has released drivers for the memory on the drive so it does not show up in device manager as unknown. This is a great drive hands down for USB 2.0 stand point in having a high definiton external drive for a computer and xbox 360. Also with HD-DVD there is speculation that there will be a third layer added to HD-DVD and have each layer hold 17GBs of data with a shorter wavelength on the disc. This disc with hold approxmately 51GBs of data. Who knows what will happen, but this is by far a cheep HD-DVD external drive for a computer.

Sorry for duplicate posts but here are some prices that I have found Xbox 360 HD-DVD External drive - $199.99 Retail. HP HD100 external - $450.00 What would you chose. later pete