Xbox 360 format 5.1 audio?

Maybe you guys should consider trying out Twonky or TVersity as your streamer.

From posts on their respective forums, users seem to be streaming fine to the XBox…

Have a flick through their forums… Might help…

TVersity is what I use ,and it works great for me…

Having the same issues. I’m going to try the different suggestions in this thread to get 5.1 audio to my xbox360.

Thatdood,

The only program I’ve had complete sucess with is dvd-wmv. It takes longer than DVDFab and I notice supple differences in video quality.

That is the only choice until DVDFab gets a wmv pro codec or finds a way to do mpeg-4 with mp3 5.1 audio.

I haven’t gotten a straight answer yet.

** Update**

It appears the generic/xvid/audiocopy works very well. Good quality and 5.1 audio. The issue is the audio lags more as you get farther into the move.

1 problem down. one to go! I’ll research the board a little and post a new topic related to lag if I don’t find an answer.

[quote=deputy963;2001348]** Update**

It appears the generic/xvid/audiocopy works very well. Good quality and 5.1 audio. The issue is the audio lags more as you get farther into the move.

1 problem down. one to go! I’ll research the board a little and post a new topic related to lag if I don’t find an answer.[/quote]

I have Windows XP and I’m using the latest Beta that just came out in Feb. and the generic/xvid/audiocopy works great. I’m also using High Quality Enccoding (2-pass), Fixed Bitrate, Bitrate(kbps) around 3000,Framerate same as source, and Audio Bitrate same as source. As for Frame Resolution I just pick the biggest one. Using WMP11 I can stream the movies to my Xbox360 and my PS3 through my wireless network without any problems. :smiley: I have not noticed any lipsincing issues.

[QUOTE=deputy963;1985571]Hi, Trying the program out. It looks like it may be the simplest and fastest way to achieve playing my DVD collection from a Windows Home Server over my xbox360.

The problem is the profile shows 5.1 audio, but the completed conversion is not 5.1/dolby digital, or anything other than stereo.

Am I missing something? Overlooking a hidden checkbox? Senile?

Also, I’m trying to do them 720x400 so I can keep the original aspect ratio. If anyone is having any luck with this tell me whether you are using 1 or 2 pass and what bitrates you are having acceptable results with. This is going to a large hdtv, so quality is very important!

Thanks for your help, in advance![/QUOTE]

Here is another easy way to convert DVD to AVI with 5.1 audio and streaming to xbox 360 using wmp 11

I have been streaming avi movie files to my xbox 360 but only get stereo. the xbox 360 can stream avi files with 5.1 audio but it depends on how the movie is converted. I found this free program called Autogk that can convert DVD’s (retail or not) into xvid avi with the 5.1 audio.

first you have to rip DVD main movie files to your PC’s HDD with DVD decrypter or DVD shrink. ripping the DVD’s main movie files will give you vob files and an IFO file in a Video_TS folder

using AutoGK ver 2.45, convert the vob file into avi. (note: there is no need to install K-lite mega pack or any other codecs like the download link says. my videos converted successfully without the mega pack, autogk installs the needed codecs)

start autogk
step 1 - For Input File, provide the path to the Video_TS folder that you ripped previously, choose the IFO file. a window will pop-up prompting you to select PGC. select the PGC with the longest duration (this is the movie). Now choose the Output File. I usually target the movie file under my documents.

step 2 - The Audio track dialog box should have the AC3 audio track checked. There may be other tracks for commentary or other languages. Be sure you checked the AC3 stream with language you want.

step 3 - Selecting Output size
For streaming to the xbox 360 you want one file. So use the custom size option.

If the movie is over 2 hours (ie. Lord of the Rings Trilogy) then set the value to 1399
        If the movie is over 3 hours (ie. King Kong) then set the value to 2099
        To convert without any compression set Transfer quality to 100% iinstead of using custom size

step 4 - click the Advanced settings
click auto width
for the output audio type choose Original (AC3/DTS/MPA only) for the 5.1 audio track
codec set to xvid

step 5 - click add job, click start. in 2-3 hours avi with 5.1 sound will be ready

step 6 - make sure you have windows media player 11, configure sharing (tools -> options -> library -> configure sharing -> share my media to -> xbox 360 (console should be on for detection) set to allowed)

copy your new avi file to My videos folder.  In My videos folder right click the avi file and click 'add to windows media playlist'.  wmp 11 should start playing the video. stop video. 

in the xbox 360 dashboard go to media blade -> video.  press x to change video source.  choose your computer.  open my videos folder. play your avi file with 5.1 audio

Hi chadherrella:
You are replying to a post from Feb, we are in a completely different version now. Please try to repond to recent posts because as the versions change. so do the options. Thanks and Welcome.

For the initial rip, DVDFab HDDecrypter is also free and is updated frequently to cope with new protection schemes. Not so for Decrypter and Shrink.

[QUOTE=deputy963;1990266]The problem is (in my situation) that the xbox is actually playing the file, so the options are limited to the codecs actually in the xbox.

In both of your cases you are using WMP11 and MCE to play the content and stream to the xbox, which allows a lot more options.[/QUOTE]Why have the Xbox play the file at all though? I have a PS3 and 360 and have been interested in this thread. 5.1 is definately an issue for all sorts of reasons. Complicated (search for his posts) has done some great posts on this topic aleit related to a PS3.
I now play from my Ps3 since my Xbox is too darn noisy even streaming…You can put WMP11 on your WHS though and stream so why not try that?
Not sure what else to suggest but it’s a tricky area and I think we all end up with solutions eventually…

[QUOTE=deputy963;2001348]** Update**

1 problem down. one to go! I’ll research the board a little and post a new topic related to lag if I don’t find an answer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for, using DVDFab to create files to put on a WHS for the Xbox to display.
Nice program, now I’m generating both the version for the Xbox and the version for my portable media player.

One related question: Does anybody know of a way to embed title information and maybe an icon on both a wmv and the .avi files created using the xvid codec mentioned above?

Check this thread out for how I do it to the PS3…they also stream to the 360 quite happilly…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-rip-then-wmp11-ps3-ac3-5-1-audio-247701/

[quote=gkinghrn;2093896]Check this thread out for how I do it to the PS3…they also stream to the 360 quite happilly…
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-rip-then-wmp11-ps3-ac3-5-1-audio-247701/[/quote]

That’s not exactly what we’re talking about. We are streaming directly from a server to the 360. You are using WMP11 and/or TVersity to stream. There is no “middleware” here.

About the screen shots. From what I’ve read the xbox360 will show cover art, but it only will work with WMV files. The problem is for WMV to support 5.1 it has to be the pro codec and DVDFab hasn’t been upgraded to use pro yet. I’ve asked for it, but haven’t seen it.

It may work for the avi’s but I haven’t tried. The method (if I remember correctly) is to create a folder with the movie name. Put the avi in the folder and save your cover art as a jpeg with the same name as the move. Basically everything has the same filename, just different extensions.

Try it and let me know, then I can go back through and do all of mine! :slight_smile:
This really should be much easier!

WHS is mentioned…surely that is streaming???

You identify a Video Source on your XBox and select the WHS server I assume but it’s streaming…

I played with WHS on the Beta so I have a fair idea what it does…

Maybe I really don’t follow but ss there something stopping you streaming to the 360 with tversity or WMP11 ON your WHS though? You are limited completely by the software etc on the 360 ans WHS out of the box …using Tversity or WMP or anything else overcomes that and gives you exactly what you are looking for?

[quote=deputy963;2094352]That’s not exactly what we’re talking about. We are streaming directly from a server to the 360. You are using WMP11 and/or TVersity to stream. There is no “middleware” here.
[/quote]

Isn’t Windows Home Server doing the same thing? I hadn’t heard that the 360 could access the file shares directly. Most devices use UPNP/DNLA.

[QUOTE=Complication;2094369]Isn’t Windows Home Server doing the same thing? I hadn’t heard that the 360 could access the file shares directly. Most devices use UPNP/DNLA.[/QUOTE]
Like he said…:iagree:

Yes, WHS is a DNLA server. My point is that the xbox360 supports certain formats with native 5.1. I wanted to stream video without involving another computer (WMP11) or transcoding (TVersity). DVDFab is the best program I found for this purpose (and I tried many). The DVDFab format that presently supports this is avi/xvid/audiocopy.

TVersity [I]can[/I] transcode, but usually doesn’t (and you can turn the feature off). WMP11 and a dedicated NAS box do essentially the same thing. Almost all the problems with streaming these days have to do with client and DNLA spec limitations rather than the server. I would also guess that much of the code in WMP11 and WHS for DNLA support is shared given they were made by the same company.

The odds are high that a file that works streaming from WMP11 to the 360 would also work from WHS to the 360.

Just my 2 cents.

I honestly fail to understand your reluctance to use WMP or Tversity to accomplish this…I’ve done it it works…some of the other solutions are much more obscure to say the least but nonetheless are valuable to know.

Can i suggest you give Tversity a try before just dismissing it…?

[quote=gkinghrn;2094779]I honestly fail to understand your reluctance to use WMP or Tversity to accomplish this…I’ve done it it works…some of the other solutions are much more obscure to say the least but nonetheless are valuable to know.

Can i suggest you give Tversity a try before just dismissing it…?[/quote]

He is not interested in having his PC running all the time. WMP11 and Tversity are not things you can run on WHS as far as I can tell.

I thought the question was about making something compatible for the 360. My earlier points where that the server side was not that important.