Xbox 360 format 5.1 audio?

Hi, Trying the program out. It looks like it may be the simplest and fastest way to achieve playing my DVD collection from a Windows Home Server over my xbox360.

The problem is the profile shows 5.1 audio, but the completed conversion is not 5.1/dolby digital, or anything other than stereo.

Am I missing something? Overlooking a hidden checkbox? Senile?

Also, I’m trying to do them 720x400 so I can keep the original aspect ratio. If anyone is having any luck with this tell me whether you are using 1 or 2 pass and what bitrates you are having acceptable results with. This is going to a large hdtv, so quality is very important!

Thanks for your help, in advance!

Move the bitrate slider to keep the bits/pixel reading 0.3-0.4, more is better. Not sure about your other questions (360-less here).[quote=deputy963;1985571]Hi, Trying the program out. It looks like it may be the simplest and fastest way to achieve playing my DVD collection from a Windows Home Server over my xbox360.

The problem is the profile shows 5.1 audio, but the completed conversion is not 5.1/dolby digital, or anything other than stereo.

Also, I’m trying to do them 720x400 so I can keep the original aspect ratio. If anyone is having any luck with this tell me whether you are using 1 or 2 pass and what bitrates you are having acceptable results with. This is going to a large hdtv, so quality is very important!

Thanks for your help, in advance![/quote]

Thanks Signals. I’ve made about 4 test encodes and played with that. Also noticed the difference :slight_smile:

Does anyone have any ideas about the 5.1 audio? It’s really a deal breaker! A good movie isn’t a good movie without the surround! :slight_smile:

Hey deputy963, try the Generic avi/xvid audiocopy profile instead…
Here’s a screenshot of a small clip I tried…
Stream your avi to Xbox…

I actually tried the generic format and it [B]wasn’t[/B] seen by the xbox.

I actually made several encodings of the same movie using several programs and several DVDFab profiles so I could see quality differences, filessizes, ease of use, etc.

Anyone else using DVDFab (or any other program) with the Xbox360?
Are you getting 5.1 with anything?

hi,

Please try this profile, now DVDFab not support output 5.1 channel wma, so only can use copy 5.1 ch ac3 and mpeg4 video in avi container.

generic.avi.mpeg4.audiocopy.zip (488 Bytes)

I thought the wma9 standard supported 5.1?

I really appreciate the profile, I’ll give it a try and report back!

Encoding right now.

I changed the bitrate and resolution, will that cause the audio source or encoder to revert to anything other than what is in the profile?

No joy, Captain! No joy!

The xbox reports and unsupported codec.

I’ve tried avi.Net and it works. I takes forever! I would really prefer DVDFab, if possible.

Any other ideas?

deputy963 wrote’
I actually tried the generic format and it wasn’t seen by the xbox."
Have you updated the Xbox?

deputy963 asked" thought the wma9 standard supported 5.1?..
WMA standard supports 2 channel
WMA Pro 5.1 channel
Till you get it sorted out try with MeGui or AutoMKV , but I’m having good luck using Fab for DVD to avi/xvid or better yet mp4/h.264 and streaming to my xbox via TVersity…

Thanks Ting!
Do I just unzip and import to my profile folder? TIA:)

Sorry deputy963, don’t mean to hijack your thread…

hi,

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archi...yback-faq.aspx

I have readed this doc before, in this doc, looks h264 in mp4 contanier only support 2 ch aac, but mpeg4 in avi container support 5.1 ch dobly, so please try my profile.

I think the best solution for surround audio is enable WMAPro encode, and output 5.1 ch wma, it will be added in the future.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Ting;1986355]hi,

I have readed this doc before, in this doc, looks h264 in mp4 contanier only support 2 ch aac, but mpeg4 in avi container support 5.1 ch dobly, so please try my profile.

I think the best solution for surround audio is enable WMAPro encode, and output 5.1 ch wma, it will be added in the future.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Yes Ting,I was just suggesting to OP that he try MP4 h.264 profile,since he’s having problem with Xbox recognizing avi/xvid…thanks again!:slight_smile:
BTW, looking forward to future added feature in Fab…:slight_smile:

I’m sure I have the Fall 07 update. If I didn’t it would ask me to download it everytime I went online.

I’ve tried the included profile, xbox profile, and generic h.264 profile. Of those 3 only the xbox profile is recognized (with non digital 2 channel audio).

I’ve also read the included document. I’m attempting to stream from Windows Home Server (supposedly supports avi and wmv). I know that streaming from wmp11, mce, or tversity offers a few more choices, but that is not an option in this case.

Really, this can’t be THAT difficult. Can it? Am I trying to do the impossible? :slight_smile:

I’ve had success with avi.net and DVD-WMV. Both create files with 5.1 audio. DVD-WMV seems to have the better quality of the two(uses MS encoder 9), though neither appear as clear as DVDFab does.

I will not that DVD-WMV shows Windows Media Audio 10 Professional as the audio codec.

Does anyone else have any suggestions short of adding the MS Pro codec to DVDFab? Is that even an option?

Thanks!

[quote=deputy963;1985571]Hi, Trying the program out. It looks like it may be the simplest and fastest way to achieve playing my DVD collection from a Windows Home Server over my xbox360.

Thanks for your help, in advance![/quote]

I have a very similar situation to yours. I run Windows Media Center 2005 with my XBOX 360 as an extender. This is what I do to get original sounds from all my movies.

I use DVDFab to burn the movie as an ISO file and thats all I do. It has the original sound 5.1 or DTS or whatever it has. I then either do 2 things to use it for my 360:

1. Burn a backup disk on Sony DVD-R’s of the ISO with DVD decrypter as I dont have Nero or any other program to burn. And they play back with surround sound and all that with no problem for me.

or

1. I save the ISO file to my server harddrive. No modifications needed to the file. Then stream it to my 360 using a special app and codec programs to get Windows Media Center to recognize the file. They to also then play as 5.1 or whatever they were originally.

This has worked for me time and time again for your sound issue. I cant comment on HDTV as I dont have one. But as long as u dont compress it any the video quality should be there.

Hope this helps you and if u have any other questions just ask.

Also if this works for u and u need the apps that I use to get it to stream to my 360 just ask. (Im not sure of the rules of naming other apps and programs on the forums so I didnt say them)

Thanks for the reply Dafaulty,

The problem is streaming from WHS to the xbox must be avi or wmv. There are no other options.

(why, oh why, don’t they add native vob support?)

Because of this a DVD can’t be ripped and played. It must be transcoded. Of course all the programs I’ve found have had less than stellar video quality except DVD-WMV and DVDFab. DVDFab has a great interface and easy to follow flow, but I can’t find a way to get 5.1 audio with it. I’ll have to use DVD-WMV (with it’s buggy interface and slow transcodes) until DVDFab gets a WMA Pro codec.

[quote=deputy963;1989895]Thanks for the reply Dafaulty,

The problem is streaming from WHS to the xbox must be avi or wmv. There are no other options.

(why, oh why, don’t they add native vob support?)

Because of this a DVD can’t be ripped and played. It must be transcoded. Of course all the programs I’ve found have had less than stellar video quality except DVD-WMV and DVDFab. DVDFab has a great interface and easy to follow flow, but I can’t find a way to get 5.1 audio with it. I’ll have to use DVD-WMV (with it’s buggy interface and slow transcodes) until DVDFab gets a WMA Pro codec.[/quote]

This is the transcoder I run on Windows Media Center to my Xbox360. http://runtime360.com/projects/transcode-360/

I have a 55" big screen and the quality is great for me. Maybe it wouldnt be perfect for HDTV I dont know.

For codecs I use http://www.cccp-project.net/.

Try that transcoder program and hopefully it gives u the quality u want.

Im dont know if that transcoder will work for WHS as Im somewhat new to this video stream and such.

I am pretty new at this and I have been using the free trial, so take this for what its worth, but I am able to get 5.1 audio using the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile. Below are my settings, but I am running Windows XP streaming through WMP11. So, I am not sure if this is any help to you as it sound like you have tried many different settings and profiles for WHS.

I have AC3Filter installed, but I am not sure if DVDFab uses this filter.

As for the settings under the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile, I always select 5.1 DD, 2-Pass encoding and max bitrate. I use the highest bitrate, because my understanding is that it will produce the best Bits/Pixels ratio for the video. I do not care about filesize as long as I get quality.

For frame resolution I choose 720x400. I get 0.724 Bits/Pixels and 1.8 Aspect Ratio.

It usually takes me about 2 and a half hours for 90min movie (older computer). This works the best for me right now.

[quote=Chocotaco;1990020]I am pretty new at this and I have been using the free trial, so take this for what its worth, but I am able to get 5.1 audio using the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile. Below are my settings, but I am running Windows XP streaming through WMP11. So, I am not sure if this is any help to you as it sound like you have tried many different settings and profiles for WHS.

I have AC3Filter installed, but I am not sure if DVDFab uses this filter.

As for the settings under the generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy profile, I always select 5.1 DD, 2-Pass encoding and max bitrate. I use the highest bitrate, because my understanding is that it will produce the best Bits/Pixels ratio for the video. I do not care about filesize as long as I get quality.

For frame resolution I choose 720x400. I get 0.724 Bits/Pixels and 1.8 Aspect Ratio.

It usually takes me about 2 and a half hours for 90min movie (older computer). This works the best for me right now.[/quote]

The problem is (in my situation) that the xbox is actually playing the file, so the options are limited to the codecs actually in the xbox.

In both of your cases you are using WMP11 and MCE to play the content and stream to the xbox, which allows a lot more options.