XBMC on Android! (Finally)

vbimport

Finally, an xbmc version that works properly for 1080p content, at least locally. I haven’t tested on network/samba files or plugins yet (I’m overseas atm).

This is an alpha version, but seems to play 1080p, 720p & 480p content flawlessly (at least not noticeable dropped frames).

Tested on a quad core Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9 (Samsung Galaxy note 10.1) .

Nightly (Alpha) builds, dated 27 dec 2013.
xbmc-20131227-97e915b-master-armeabi-v7a.apk

I merged your threads as requested, [S]but now your second post loops back into this thread! [/S] :bigsmile:

Edit: Fixed.

Following testing, with a UG802 (RK3066 Dual core 1.2Ghz/1GHz/802.11n single channel) device, running a 1080p cfw (finless 1.7) and 1080p kernel, with neon support and libstagefright+multithread decoding enabled (no post processing).
I can conclude that:

• SD & 720p decoding works perfectly (h264 high profile >4.0 + DTS5.1)
  • 1080p usually works fine (very playable) with very occasional missed frames - 2-3 missed frames in a 5 minute segment.

Note that I am streaming across 150mb/s wifi (android unit limitation) and that the unit can only sustain reliably about 2.1MB/s using samba networking, and occasional pauses due to buffering (this also happens on the standard openelec/x86 + gigabit ethernet also).

Occasionally when playing 720p (typically after 10-30 minutes) and often when playing high bitrate 16-22Mb/s 1080p (after 2-5 minutes) the video will become freeze frames while the audio continues to play correctly. Stopping (not pausing) and continuing from the same point resolves the issue (temporarily).

When fast forwarding/skipping forward regularly, I’ve noticed the freeze frame issue manifests quickly.

Obviously, the alpha revision has some memory management issues, but it’s certainly stable enough for use, definitely for SD and 720p.
1080p is almost flawless, and give it a few weeks and I have no hesitation in recommending it as an actual video player, even on a dual core device.

Note that older RK3066 device firmwares have a 720p internal firmware kernel and true 1080p is not possible with originalfirmwares. Also note that older firmwares may not have proper libstagefright support.

Custom firmware may be required to achieve real 1080p with hardware acceleration on these older dual core devices.

Quad Core units were released with neon/libstagefright/1080p support at the time of release.